Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead sbc dress ups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Landwehr, Nov 26, 2004.

1. any thoughts /info on what if any nailhead(89)350 old school dress ups are out there, got a freebe 89 4 bolt main iron head 350/4bbl/from my b-law today ,whole 4x4 pu actually ,transfer case is shot,but engine runs like a top

2. "I know nuthing" about these later motors , do older intakes fit? same cams work or is it a roller (NAW, no such luck)etc. I like finned valve covers on all my motors,anyone make em or should one go with those VC adapters that i see once n awhile?sweet running motor w/o a single tick or hickup.

3. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    any thoughts /info on what if any nailhead(89)350 old school dress ups are out there, got a freebe 89 4 bolt main iron head 350/4bbl/from my b-law today ,whole 4x4 pu actually ,transfer case is shot,but engine runs like a top

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what your looking for? Do you want parts for a sbc to make it look like a Buick nailhead????

4. maybe ,but I was refering to the late style of the heads , as it is the bolt thru type VC, more of what ever swaps from earlier engines to this one question , the 60's buick look intrigues me now tho.

5. I see what you're saying now. Those are the 86 and up SBC heads, the ones with the 4 bolts in the center of the cover. No, earlier (pre 86) intakes won't fit, technically, because the angle of the intake bolts was changed. You can drill the hole out bigger, and someone makes these little wedge shaped dilly-0's that make the angle right.

FWIW, when you say nailhead, most people think of the BUICK from the mid fifties til the late sixties. [​IMG]

jay

6. ya, thought of that after it was posted, so there isn't a lot of used stuff there for thse then wonder if older heads swap on em , I have a set of 202 roller rockered heads

7. Oh there's plenty of aftermarket stuff. It's just that you can't use the early stuff without adapters. GMPP used to make an adapter that would let you use the earlier style valve covers, but it's like 120 bux a pair. Fuck that I say.

Also, older heads will bolt onto the newer blocks, up to the LT1's I think. Then they went all wacky with reverse flow cooling and stuff so IDK if they will work.

The good part of the later SBC stuff is the one piece rear main seal, and some have roller lifters and whatnot.

If it's what ya got, use it!

Jay

8. 120 BUX for 2 pcs of cast alum ! fuck that! I can change a hell of a lot of heads for that and still buy a set of cals, but then i have boxes of head gaskets and i want do a quick rering/bearing change on it anyway