Register now to get rid of these ads!

Streaky windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macs55, Nov 26, 2004.

1. macs55

macs55

Ok this might be a stupid question but what do you use to clean your windows. I usually use windex but always seem to leave streaks. Is there a product out there that is better? WTF am I doing different then everyone else. Anyone got any suggestions? Any detailers out there that can give their .02. Thanks

2. old beet

old beet

Sprayaway Glass cleaner!!.........OLDBEET

3. macs55

macs55

Does that stuff do the job? Where can I get some? Thanks

4. slammed

slammed

Auto part's store's. What are you using to wipe the glass?

5. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]
    The best stuff bar none. I get it at a local janitorial supply place. BTW thanks for bringing this up, reminds me that I need a can. [​IMG]

6. 38dlxcp

38dlxcp

I use Glass Plus, but I use newspaper to wipe the windows for a clean, lint free window.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I use Windex and newspapers (not the glossy inserts). No lint and cheaper than paper towels.

8. Larry C

Larry C

A detailer demo'd some techniques at a recent club meeting. He recommended removing 4 ounces of Windex (from a 12 ounce spray bottle) and adding 4 ounces of Acetone and mixing. He claimed it would do a better job than Windex or Sprayway, and would remove the film on the inside of the glass caused by outgassing from the vinyals/glues etc. I haven't tried it, but plan to.

9. Gracie

Gracie

Coffee filters are good too... they leave no lint...

10. InPrimer

InPrimer

here's an old trick, wipe outside left to right only, wipe inside up& down only, that way you can tell where the streak is.

11. macs55

macs55

Thanks guys. I always use windex but that always sucks. I might have to try some of those other products. Nothing looks worse than dirty windows. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

add me to the folks who like newspaper.there's something in the ink that makes it work,or so my dad always used to say.he worked for a newspaper most of his life-george

13. macs55

macs55

Well I think I created the magic cleaner. I mixed water and viniger, works like a charm. Also two towles one to clean and one to dry. No streaks or anything. I might have to try it with some newspaper next time. MIght work for someone else, way better than windex.

14. weekender

weekender
    Member Emeritus

I use Sparkle Glass cleaner. It's kinda purple. Also use newspaper. Something about the soy ink I think. Works for me.

Tommy Mc

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Newspaper and white vinegar......

16. Missing Link

Missing Link

wow, I'm sorta surpriz-ized by how many people use the newspaper method. I have been doing that for years and anyone that ever saw me doing it would always axe me what the hell I was doing! "I'm trying to silly putty the paper to my windshield so I can read while I drive, man. It only works when I'm going in reverse though, man. That's good shit." Yes as the others have stated, newspaper (not color ads) and windex or your favorite substitution work the best, imo. It seems to me that if you use newspaper you should find a section with the most black print on it. Find a page that has a few pictures on it. It seems to actually work better. Sweet. Must be old school [​IMG]

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i own an auto detailing business, and i've had good luck with almost any of the brands of glass cleaners out there, the key to streak free windows is using two towels, as was mentioned by someone else,,,,first i spray the cleaner on the window and use the first towel to clean the dirt from the window,,i do the perimiter of the window first so i get all the corners, then i do the middle, go back and forth and in a circular motion so you don't miss any areas,make sure you spray enough cleaner to do the job,,if you use too little, it will just smear the dirt around,,,after you finish the cleaning part, use one of those MICROFIBER towels to polish the glass and remove any streaks,,,look at the glass from a couple of different angles to make sure all the streaks have been polished out,,if not, simply keep polishing with the microfiber towel until they are gone....these things are great, they are VERY soft, lint free, and are great for a lot of other cleaning/detailing things on your car,,,they are a little expensive, but well worth it...