View Full Version : Wrecking cool cars for movies

teisco
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Ok,,this has always pissed me off,,,watching a really great movie and then all of a sudden they trash a nice car. The last one was some comedy and the main dudes were driving a nice,,really nice 69 Judge.. Now this car might have been a "made up" car and not real but when, at the end, they broadsided it I almost lost it.

Ok what are some movies you guys have seen where they trash a cool ride.

54fordgasser
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
because of this i have always wanted to start this - PETA!- People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles

Muttley
05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
What about the GTX from Tommy Boy?

Dan Hay
05-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I saw a trailer for the new John Dillinger movie coming out with Johnny Depp. In the trailer they show a scene where they roll a 33-34 Ford Sedan!!! I gasped aloud in the theater... my wife laughed.

Demo Derby X-100
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Ok what are some movies you guys have seen where they trash a cool ride.

Ok, you asked for it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXt7Vm04SnM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXt7Vm04SnM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Von Rigg Fink
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
All ways pissed me off too..

like that yellow charger in Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

d5tEmKbZP7k

62nova
05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
The more nice cars those guys destoy, the more their Barret-Jackson investment is worth.

Al Consoli
05-12-2009, 08:42 AM
because of this i have always wanted to start this - PETA!- People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles

:D:D:D Good One !!

Conrad_AZ
05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
How about the 12 '58 Furys that were destroyed in Christine?

TINGLER
05-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I used to feel this way until I realized what cars actually represent to most people.

Cars represent money. It's as simple as that.

When you watch a car being destroyed in a movie, you are actually being reminded that you DON'T have money. You are a loser.

You want to "save" that car in the movie because you want the power that it represents. You might tell yourself that it's about "history" or "nostalgia"......but it's not. It's about money. The end.

Cars, motorcycles, houses, it's all the same thing in our society.
M-O-N-E-Y. Money. Moolah. Dinero. Wampum. Cha-Ching. People want the big Harley to show off their wealth. People want the nicest '32 Ford to show off their wealth. People want the biggest and most expensive everything to show off their wealth. If they're into aquarium fish, they want the most stupidly expensive fish available.

Hot rodders want speed. WHY? Because it costs a lot. It's a good way to show off your wealth and prowess.

My new philosophy. Destroy 'em all. If I had enough money, I'd buy the highest priced '32 Ford and film it being crushed. I'd show it in theaters for the peons to cry over. It would be a blockbuster summer hit....and make me richer and you poorer.

Think about it. :D

Chaz
05-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Its just twisted metal.... Sometimes I wish people would get as much respect as old cars.
The way I see it, If Its YOURS. you can blow it up, eat it , bury it, etc.

TBone69
05-12-2009, 08:51 AM
How about all the Mercs they destroyed in ther Stallone movie Cobra.

Not a movie but Dukes of Hazard wrecked cars by the dozen every week.

The Challenger in Vanishing Point.

The original Gone in 60 seconds, Mustangs, Satellite or GTX, The remake I am sure wrecked a bunch of 68 Fastback Mustangs.

I am sure there are plenty more.

H3O
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

The original Gone in 60 seconds, Mustangs, Satellite or GTX, The remake I am sure wrecked a bunch of 68 Fastback Mustangs.

beat me to it!!!:D

Muttley
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Sometimes I wish people would get as much respect as old cars.

I like old cars, I dont like most people.

Jobe
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
How about the merc custom in Cobra...

hotdamn
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I love you.

that is the most punk rock shit I have ever heard anyone say on here.:D

I used to feel this way until I realized what cars actually represent to most people.

When you watch a car being destroyed in a movie, you are actually being reminded that you DON'T have money. You are a loser.

You want to "save" that car in the movie because you want the power that it represents. You might tell yourself that it's about "history" or "nostalgia"......but it's not. It's about money. The end.

M-O-N-E-Y. Money. Moolah. Dinero. Wampum. Cha-Ching. People want the big Harley to show off their wealth. People want the nicest '32 Ford to show off their wealth. People want the biggest and most expensive everything to show off their wealth. If they're into aquarium fish, they want the most stupidly expensive fish available.

Hot rodders want speed. WHY? Because it costs a lot. It's a good way to show off your wealth and prowess.

My new philosophy. Destroy 'em all. If I had enough money, I'd buy the highest priced '32 Ford and film it being crushed. I'd show it in theaters for the peons to cry over. It would be a blockbuster summer hit....and make me richer and you poorer.

85-percent
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
The Willys Coupe that got ripped up in Who Framed Roger Rabbit made me puke.

There was a Jan and Dean made for in the 70's TV biopic that drove a 64 Corvette off a pier or something?

There's a 1980 Peter O'toole movie called The Stuntman, which had an original Bugatti driven off a bridge into the water!

Harold and Maude had a XKE coupe driven off a cliff at the end.

Tim Allen Show crushed a 55 Nomad with a wrecking ball?

-90% Jimmy

Ratmotor
05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Tingler.....you are twisted and I admire that! Truly a nonconformist.

Chaz
05-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks, Tingler. Well said

LowKat
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
The Rocketeer

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie

GreenMonster48
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Death Proof....I didn't feel bad about the Nova, but OMG stop killing Dodge Chargers!!!

Mazooma1
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
The restored vintage car crowd says the same things about hot rodders.
We all know what they think about us cutting up coupes, chopping sedans and turning "classics" into race cars.
So, whats the difference? OWNERSHIP...PERSONAL PROPERTY

Monster Garage crushed an Anglia gasser. Ok...and?

Many classics have been ruined by customizers with zero skill or vision taking a torch to a car and then having to abandon the project because of poor workmanship or it being "felony ugly".

So, it goes both ways. If a movie production company buys a car and destroys it for the film, why is that any different than a guy cutting up a car to be a hot rod, race car or custom (by the way, there's no "K" in custom)?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,...... or the movie CEO, or racer, or restorer, or rodder, or the OWNER.

abone1930
05-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Yea that monster garage eposide cruching the anglia really sucked. I stopped watching that show after that.

teisco
05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
here is a link to photos of the 69 Judge that was wacked in the move Sex Drive....
http://imcdb.org/vehicle_194573-Pontiac-GTO-1969.html

enjenjo
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
The car crushed on Tool Time was not a Nomad

teisco
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah Tim is stlll explaining that to this day

VespaJay
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Ok, you asked for it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXt7Vm04SnM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXt7Vm04SnM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Holy crap! Never heard of this flick "Steel Arena" before but I've GOTTA track down a copy!

IMDB info page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070730/

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjIwMzE0OTYzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU1MjgxMg@@._ V1._SX252_SY400_.jpg

G V Gordon
05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Chinatown, only clip I could find.at about the 2:24 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8TvPMT-NxE

Oh and I'm still pissed about the Mod Squad woody.

Kentuckian
05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
The car crashed in the final scene of Vanishing Point was not a Challenger. Read about it on the following site:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/trivia

RacerRick
05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
If you guys have ever worked with movie cars, you would realize that most of them are not what they seem.

Take the movie "Sex Drive" for instance that was mentioned above.

They probably had one or two real judges or clones they used as close up cars that are in nice shape but painted a non stock color that appears the right shade on film, four or five chopped up rusty lemans they painted orange, put nice interiors in, and mounted low on trailers or dollies so they could film the actors in the car, and three or four junkers with cages, a crate SBC, and a quicky paint and body job that they used as stunt cars.

The two close up cars will survive unscathed and a couple of the stunt cars will be wrecked. The dolly cars were cut up junk to begin with, and the remaining stunt cars with their cages and crate motors will sit on a lot somewhere until another movie decides it needs a judge or get auctioned off.

Kustom Linez
05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
more wrecked cars. they do make good television!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md7pKVAvuXY&feature=related

overspray
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
If I had a million--W C Fields.

Not for the 32 Ford squeamish.

A 32 Ford Phaeton get smashed in the beginning.
At the end a brand new 32 Ford fordor gets smucked right out of the dealership.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDSW-ybm0mg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDSW-ybm0mg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfIoKTTZuUo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfIoKTTZuUo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<

moparforlife
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Somebody mentioned the Dukes of Hazzard. I read somewhere that around 300 were used for the original series and another 15-20 for the movie that came out a while back. There was also a Corvette convertible that was dropped out of a plane in Con Air.

Al T
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
The car crushed on Tool Time was not a Nomad

Enjenjo is right. Do a search on YouTube. The car crushed was actually a 2 door wagon........ they did the old switcherooo.

Demo Derby X-100
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Holy crap! Never heard of this flick "Steel Arena" before but I've GOTTA track down a copy!

IMDB info page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070730/

let me know when you find a DVD copy

Still Runnin
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
God those old flicks are a riot.
Car bashings are as sad a the old junkyards.

Neglected Steel
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Death Proof....I didn't feel bad about the Nova, but OMG stop killing Dodge Chargers!!!

If you look at the charger it was a left over general lee from the dukes of hazzard remake you can see the orange paint underneath the black after its been hit. I was more pissed about the challenger getting destroyed

temper_mental
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
People have no respect for each other and some how they will care about a car?

alchemy
05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
How about making "cars" specifically to wreck in movies? In an old Street Rodder mag they did a story on Stan Betz, the painter. He collects and restores 1920's miniature Model T's and such that were made by that era's special FX department to "blow up". Each about two feet long, and almost fully functional, minus the engine. Skilled craftsmen made them of real steel and paint, but Laurel and Hardy destroyed them.

49ratfink
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
with all the digital effects these days there is no reason to wreck an actual car.:confused:

the new Indiana Jones movie wrecked a nice 49 Chevy sedan.

oh the horror!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

cleatus
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I was watching the movie "Sweet & LowDown" a few weeks ago and there is a scene where a beautiful 38 Cadillac drives up to a gas station and they do a real close zoom-in on the grill of the Caddy (which is the grill I use in my custom) and I look at my wife and say something like "look how perfect that grill is" - it was so much nicer than the one I have. Those are cast grills and they are all lumpy from the casting except for the leading edge, but this grill, someone had taken the time to smooth out all the casting lumps on the inside edges (which is something I have been contemplating for years, but it would be an insane amount of work to file all those surfaces in all those hundreds of little squares). Someone had devoted a hell of a lot of time on that grill & it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

In the very next scene they use that grill to T-bone another neat old 30's car.

And for what? a so-so movie.

oilslinger53
05-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I still cringe whenever I think of vanishing point... and I'm not even into muscle cars...

pyro3256
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
as stated before most movie cars are clones. fiberglass and paint made to look the part. very few real cars are destroyed. early movies did waste good cars but nobody cared they were just cars to them not collector items as they are now. a friend of mine is a goofer in hollywood and has worked on movie cars. he told me about having to sand and paint dozens of fake trim pieces for stunt cars. all smoke and mirrors.

general gow
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I saw a trailer for the new John Dillinger movie coming out with Johnny Depp. In the trailer they show a scene where they roll a 33-34 Ford Sedan!!! I gasped aloud in the theater... my wife laughed.

dan, i saw that too. just about choked on my popcorn.

Oldmanolds
05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Sign me up!!!

general gow
05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
jeez tingler- i think i know where you are coming from, to a certain extent.

but really, i just like to go fast...

aceuh
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Tingler..I think you'd get a kick out of http://www.willitblend.com/ .

They've got videos of the latest greatest electronics (phones, games, ipods) being ran through a blender.

Probably not near as dramatic as seeing an expensive car destroyed...but entertaining none the less.

29SX276
05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Look at all the neat 'ol tin that was destroyed in the series"The Untouchables";still makes me twitchy!
Yeah,I'm dating myself!!

mctim64
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Hmmmmm! I disagree, I just like cars. :rolleyes:

3windowford
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I never saw the entertainment value in destroying a car...be it a clone, fliberglass mock up or what ever.

hotrod_hooligan
05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Actually, they bought a lot of fastbacks for that movie. But they only needed one. It lasted threw all of the chase scene. It even hit a telephone pole and kept going.

Lobsterboy X
05-12-2009, 03:15 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/lobsterboyx/1950%20Buick/l_fc9078e7424c5d8eee520e667205978c.jpg

:( RIP salvage title 4 door rusty buick - i loved you more than indiana jones did.

choppintops
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Its just twisted metal.... Sometimes I wish people would get as much respect as old cars.
The way I see it, If Its YOURS. you can blow it up, eat it , bury it, etc.
They get ubber pissed when you blow up old people. :D

Toby Denham
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
What about the GTX from Tommy Boy?

Eeeewwww ... that one got to me, too!! :mad:

Toby Denham
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
How 'bout our boy, Steve, in "Bullet" ... with the '67 'stang ... but, hey it was Steve McQueen ... so I guess it was cool ... I guess ... hmmm ... maybe not .... :(

Toby Denham
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah ... who could forget the '34 in Bonny and Clyde. Yow!

wazza
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
The 34 ford cabriolet from the Rocketeer is alive and well in Australia.

lostforawhile
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM

There was a Jan and Dean made for in the 70's TV biopic that drove a 64 Corvette off a pier or something?

There's a 1980 Peter O'toole movie called The Stuntman, which had an original Bugatti driven off a bridge into the water!

-90% JimmyI think it was a fake, Tim Allen is actually a car guy and i don't think he would have stood for that.

lostforawhile
05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Actually, they bought a lot of fastbacks for that movie. But they only needed one. It lasted threw all of the chase scene. It even hit a telephone pole and kept going.they kept repairing and painting the cars as fast as they could, they had a fleet of police cars too,since they were wrecked far more often the the general, from what i understood every time they did a jump they trashed a car.,sorry wrong quote was talking about the dukes of hazzard

creepjohnny
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I heard for dukes of hazzard they did some shots with 68's and 70's as well. still kinda sad.
same thing with stephen kings Christine, smashing up 57 and 58's. crying shame.

62nova
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Who cares if they're fakes or clones. They should destroy 100 toyotas and hondas for each of these " fakes"!

Kustom Linez
05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
two sad moments- Monster Garage destroying an Anglia gasser & cutting up an
original FE Dragster.

choppintops
05-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I think it was a fake, Tim Allen is actually a car guy and i don't think he would have stood for that.
You mean like the Chevy 2 door wagon in tool time he dropped a beam on????? It wasn't a Nomad, if you watch the doors pop open when it hit, it was, however a 2 door wagon.

Kustom Linez
05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
here you go.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/kustomlinez/Picture3.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/MONSTER+GARAGE+LA+FORD+ANGLIA/video/x6ttsc_monster-garage-la-ford-anglia-p33_auto

Franken4
05-12-2009, 04:51 PM
What about the 55 Chevy that rolled over in the drag scene for American Grafitti? The 57 Chevy that smashed it's way into the ending of "Catch me if you can" (The original..not with Tom Hanks) And the back glass that got shot out of that Judge in Dazed and Confused. And speaking of Indiana Jones, in the first scenes of all those 50's cars, mock up or not that get blown sky high by that nuke. The Monte Carlo that gets shot up in Training Day. The few Exotic cars that get scorched in Iron Man. There's so many..I believe I will sign up for PETA. The Ferrari in The Rock gets creamed. Of course the Challenger and Camaro in Two Fast Two Furious? The Charger in the first Fast and the Furious, the Monte Carlo in Tokyo Drift. Yes, it's sad and I usually have to look away :eek:

Kevin Lee
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM

You're assuming quite a lot about me. All wrong. And that last paragraph? Like "shock art" for the HAMB... yawn.

Truckedup
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMvcAvmvx5c

Outlaw Bender
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
W.T.F that hurts ......
That makes me really pissed off. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

rusty f100
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
School sent me to L.A. for a month to build 3 '55 ford pickups for Stallone for an upcoming movie called The Expendables.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/01/07/stallone-lundgren-and-now-mickey-rourke-get-ready-for-the-expendibles.aspx (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/01/07/stallone-lundgren-and-now-mickey-rourke-get-ready-for-the-expendibles.aspx)
All chopped 3", shaved, and lowered. The main one for stallone was a frame off. New Everything!! Motor, trans, big brakes, wheels and tires, interior, glass, weather stripping, you name it. I was so jealous being that i own a '56. I was also sick to my stomach cuz not only were the other two that matched his going to be wrecked doing stunts but I helped build them.

mj40's
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I quit watching Monster Garage when Jessie James crushed a real nice original restored Ford Anglia that they had turned into a drag car. The build wasn't finished on time so out in the parking lot it went and a huge steel beam was dropped on it. Blown Hemi and all. I was so pissed that I couldn't talk. I have a friend building one of those for his girl friend and he is missing the grill and deck lid for one of those. Such a waste.

CJ Steak
05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
If you look at the charger it was a left over general lee from the dukes of hazzard remake you can see the orange paint underneath the black after its been hit. I was more pissed about the challenger getting destroyed

I agree, the Challenger was sweet in that movie.

Did anyone else notice that they created cheesy ill fitting window frames so the stunt girl could put the belts around 'em. Those cars didn't come with window frames....

CJ Steak
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
You're assuming quite a lot about me. All wrong. And that last paragraph? Like "shock art" for the HAMB... yawn.

Yeah I really try to ignore shit posts like that... but that post was uber stupid. I don't do this shit for the money.

Big yawn.

TINGLER
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah I really try to ignore shit posts like that... but that post was uber stupid. I don't do this shit for the money.

Big yawn.

Is that your Willys in your avatar?

hmmm....I just might be able to believe that YOU don't do this for money. :D

As for my post being stupid, well...if cars didn't represent money in our society then Hollywood wouldn't blow them up and people here wouldn't get upset over it.

Ever notice they normally focus on destroying cars that WILL upset the general public?

DirtySanchez
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't wait until they start using Hondas, Accords, and all the other ricer types, for demo derbies! Oh wait, they did make a few Fast and the Furious movies........

Johnny1290
05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I haven't had time to read the whole thread but fwiw the ones they wreck are the most cobbled to gether POS cars that look good in a camera 50 feet away. If they wreck a GTO, you can be sure it's a 'clone'. They're rough as hell or kit cars when they can get away with it.

And frequently they're not even as wrecked as you may think, at least where the fireballs etc are concerned.

That's why they call them camera tricks.

Studios are guilty of overpaying actors, but not usually of overspending on vehicles to be wrecked. That's my experience anyway.

I saw some torinos for starsky and hutch movie and general lees for the movie, the non-hero cars are usually real turds. They've got one nice one for the closeups with actors and the rest are clunkers. JMHO

CJ Steak
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Is that your Willys in your avatar?

hmmm....I just might be able to believe that YOU don't do this for money. :D

As for my post being stupid, well...if cars didn't represent money in our society then Hollywood wouldn't blow them up and people here wouldn't get upset over it.

Ever notice they normally focus on destroying cars that WILL upset the general public?

Yeah the Willys PU in the avatar is mine. Yup it's cheap to upkeep, cheap to maintain, but more importantly it's really fun to drive and I just like it. Plain and simple.

I've got other more HAMB friendly cars that are worth a bit more than the Willys (especially fully restored)... but I bought 'em because I like 'em. That's just the way my brain works.

Maybe I was a bit harsh to call your post "Uber Stupid" and I apologize for that, but it just didn't describe me at all.

The only reason I don't like seeing old cars smashed up is because you just don't see them anymore, and there's someone out there that would've probably got a real kick out of taking them to the strip, or cruising them in their hometown somewhere.

On the other hand movies wouldn't be as memorable if they all smashed up Yugos and Escorts. LOL.

I think car guys (and I could be wrong) get upset over the cars being smashed because the memorable ones that get smashed are given personalities by the film makers. The Bullitt fastback really looks like it's pissed off when it's chasing down that Charger, but it's really the camera angles, lighting, sound effects, and music.

Cooler cars typically equal cars that are worth money. Maybe that's where the confusion is. I just don't like to see cool cars smashed. Even if Steve McQueen's Mustang was only worth 200 bucks... I'd still feel the same way when I saw it smashed for the first time.

dirtybirdpunk
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a neighbor whose brother worked on the T-Birds for Thelma and Louise, the movie company pushed four different cars off the cliff at the end to get the perfect angle.

Toby Denham
05-12-2009, 07:02 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3276585763_03e42ee86c.jpg?v=0
:D:D:D:D:p:D:D:D:D

yoyodyne
05-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Consider the scale of the budgets that are spent on a movie. A Hundred Million Dollars is common, and a Quarter Billion Dollars is not unheard of - check here - http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/allbudgets.php

At that rate, a nice car destroyed costs less that what they spend on lunchmeat for the camera crews. You could bust up a couple Hemi Cudas and hardly notice it on the bottom line. Cars are just set props to the movie makers, same as extras and the false front buildings they build to set on fire in westerns.

I'm curious about the Cobra that got crunched in Iron Man. I was obvious that it was bent sheetmetal, not fiberglass. Anyone know what it really was? A Kirkham maybe?

garth slater
05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Ive heard that in street racing films eg. Fast and Furious studios are often pressured by lobby groups to show the horrible consequences of street racing so as to not encourage the youth to follow suit, they therefore write in the demise of very rare vehicles into the script to save us all from becoming dangerous citizens.

Plus sars blowing up just looks cool to non car people, they don't care, they just like seeing explosions,

Chevy55
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I always groan when I see the 67 Chevelle SS396 get rolled in Carrie. It may have been a clone or some kind of special effect but it looks pretty real to me.

garth slater
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Quote :Hot rodders want speed. WHY? Because it costs a lot. It's a good way to show off your wealth and prowess

Umm, I don't know about you, but in my experience hot rodders want speed cos its a rush! The feeling of being pushed back in your seat, nailing the launch, feeling the back kick out a little as you bang through the gears and hearing the engine scream is an amazing feeling. Its a natural but addictive high,

OLLIN
05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I remember this commercial from about 6 or 7 years ago or so, where it was an angry wife getting back at her husband and crushing his cherry 50's cadillac. I just about lost it on that one.

I kind of also dont mind movies like deathproof and bullit, vanishing point, gone in 60 seconds etc because those cars are now forever immortalized for generations to enjoy. Those have some of the best car chases ever.

TINGLER
05-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah the Willys PU in the avatar is mine. Yup it's cheap to upkeep, cheap to maintain, but more importantly it's really fun to drive and I just like it. Plain and simple.

I've got other more HAMB friendly cars that are worth a bit more than the Willys (especially fully restored)... but I bought 'em because I like 'em. That's just the way my brain works.

Maybe I was a bit harsh to call your post "Uber Stupid" and I apologize for that, but it just didn't describe me at all.

No sweat man. :D

I dig the Willys. I've got a thing for those. I mostly really like them BECAUSE they are old and are a piece of history AND because the money boys HATE them and see them as ugly. To me it's a thing of beauty because it's not mainstream.

To be honest.....WASTE makes me angry. It sucks to see Hollywood wasting ANY car that a person might be able to use and enjoy. I certainly agree with that.

OLLIN
05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
And I can definietely say its not about money for me. I just love old things period.

The other day while I was driving around LA in my little hotrod that I built with my own 2 hands,( and have about 7 or 8k into,) a brand new ferrari pulled next to us on the freeway and he was starting at my car! I thought that was the funniest thing ever. anyone with money can go buy a ferrari, but not everyone can build a hot rod, or has the patience for an old car.

TINGLER
05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
How about making "cars" specifically to wreck in movies? In an old Street Rodder mag they did a story on Stan Betz, the painter. He collects and restores 1920's miniature Model T's and such that were made by that era's special FX department to "blow up". Each about two feet long, and almost fully functional, minus the engine. Skilled craftsmen made them of real steel and paint, but Laurel and Hardy destroyed them.

Watch some old Dukes of Hazzard episodes. A LOT of stuff in that show was miniatures.

It's pretty cool really.

38fordpickup
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
It's definitely not a money thing for me. I just like driving my old truck because it has more character than late model stuff. I'm really proud of how little money I have tied up in it. I gave $15 for the truck in 1966, my brother-in-law gave me the 307 Chevy that's in it right now, did all the work myself. Now if I had to pay somebody else at minimum wage for the time I've spent on it, I'd be broke. It's not about the money, it's about cranking that windshield out as far as it'll go on a pretty day and opening the cowl vent ("Max Cool" setting on the Ford factory air). You turn the blower up by driving faster. I can't stand to see neat old cars shot up, blown up, or wrecked, not even in old movies that were made back when the cars were commonplace and you could buy good Model A's for $50 a copy all day long.

16 Dodge Bros
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

-90% Jimmy

watch that episode of home improvement closely, it was actualy a 210 2dr wagon that got crushed

16 Dodge Bros
05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Watch some old Dukes of Hazzard episodes. A LOT of stuff in that show was miniatures.

It's pretty cool really.

the last season of the dukes was done mainly with minitures as a cost cutting move, looked like crap and added to the shitty rating of the last season. the show was never the same after Tom and John left, and then came back.

landseaandair
05-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I just want to say I have always bought/saved rough cars fixed them right and sold them usually to someone that didn't appreciate it and lost money on most of them just because I can't stand to see 'em go to waste. I'm still looking for, budget allowing, my dream car and one of the cars on that list is an Anglia. He's still on my shit list.

Flying Tiger
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
In the original Fast and Furious film, there was the 1970 Charger that absolutly got destoyed. It's horrifying to watch. Then in Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift, they had a Monte Carlo do ten or so flips.

R A Wrench
05-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I stopped watching Monster Garage when they demo-derbied an SS El Camino. They started with what looked like a real good one, built it and thrashed it in a figure 8 race. This is a first for me to see the Anglie being crushed. I have a field find Anglia stuck deep in the garage that I am happy to have and it is nowhere near as nice as the one they destroyed. Total stupidity and all done for ratings.

Squablow
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
There are literally thousands of Dodge Chargers and '58 Plymouths that owe their restorations to the popularity of the Dukes of Hazzard and Christine. Yes, some cars were destroyed to film the shows/movie. But the popularity of the shows/movie is what prompted so many of the cars to be restored. So that is a plus.

By the way, none of the cars destroyed in Christine were actually Furys. I believe they were all Belvedere and Savoy 2 door hardtops. In fact, I think even the nice, closeup cars were Belvederes. '58 Furys were all buckskin tan with gold anodized inserts. In real life, Christine would have been a very odd special order.

seesko
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
There's a Three Stooges where they are firemen. Their chief gets a new 36 Ford Coupe. Beautiful car. They pretty much trash it in about 2 minutes. Sad if you love cars (as do I) but it the end they are all just things. They don't matter that much in the scheme of things. 100 years from now no one will know the difference.

meatball
05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
:rolleyes:The Willys Coupe that got ripped up in Who Framed Roger Rabbit made me puke.

-90% Jimmy
you dont really believe they trash high dollar cars for movies do you???.its calle MOVIE MAGIC.......i.e. the wagon in tool time was a beater s/w they made look like a nomad,sometimes its models or cgi,very rare they fuck up a really nice car.........

JeffroTech
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Well, ya can't help but wince when an old car gets destroyed in a movie. I just saw The Punisher and his flat black GTO is great... and it gets a nasty hit (I won't ruin it for you). Great movie, a couple cool cars. I'd hate to see that happen to my GTO... she's my first car and I still have it after 18yrs.

It's not about money - 'Tingler' is WAY off base in making that generalization about any of us. I don't have anything to prove. I know what I like - and most people that I know kinda look at me sideways when I'd rather have a beat-up muscle car or hot rod to drive around in than a Porsche or BMW. That post sounds like bitterness posed as a toughguy... I'm noy buying it (pun intended!).

A couple great points made by some others - people are far more important, and we can't cling to anything too tightly.

I will say - I love seeing any old car in modern movies. Fast & Furious (althought I'm not too into them) gave some good credit to the muscle cars. I think the wreckage should be donated... to tech schools or groups like HAMB (?!?!). I know that most of us hate seeing good stuff go to waste (eh... I've got a good frame for the Punisher GTO!!!).

39 Ford
05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I always thought it would be cool to win the lottery buy up several very expensive old cars and take them to say Hershey. Put up a 10' high fence around your flea market spot and proceed to smash the cars to bits. just imagine the crouds reaction!
Cars after all are just chunks of metal, they have no soul. It always surprises me how many car guys loose sight of that fact.

JimA
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I think it was a fake, Tim Allen is actually a car guy and i don't think he would have stood for that.

They crushed a 2-door wagon that was a stand-in for the Nomad.

TINGLER
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I always thought it would be cool to win the lottery buy up several very expensive old cars and take them to say Hershey. Put up a 10' high fence around your flea market spot and proceed to smash the cars to bits. just imagine the crouds reaction!
Cars after all are just chunks of metal, they have no soul. It always surprises me how many car guys loose sight of that fact.

Heart attack city. :D

A better idea might be to buy a bunch of really expensive cars and give them away to kids who'd really appreciate them.

Imagine what that would mean to a 16 year old kid who didn't have a lot of money.

I think in reality, if I had the money to spare, that is what I would do. It would make a beautiful statement.

(and still make the money boys have heart attacks) :D

Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty
05-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Actually, they bought a lot of fastbacks for that movie. But they only needed one. It lasted threw all of the chase scene. It even hit a telephone pole and kept going.

Coolest scene in the whole movie!

Moving on:
I think Tingler's little rant is pretty much right on the money, (pun intended) and a lot of you guy's missed the point. Like the man said, think about it.

Moving on:
In the old movies the cars were just cars not unobtainable dreams. Even in the '70's a '69 Charger was just a 10 year old, clapped out used car to 99% of car nuts, much less to normal people. So..., so what if a studio in California smashed up a bunch of them for some hokie TV show.

It does bother me to see a nice old car die for a modern movie. Seeing a '69 charger rolled up in Bullitt, when it was one of literally millions of new Chargers is totally different from seeing one rolled up as window dressing for Vin Diesel’s giant ego. But that's because this is 2009 not 1969 or 1979. There are a lot fewer of those cars around now and the ones that survived are out of most people's reach, including mine.

Oh and to the guy who said cars have no soul, I have to disagree. Just like people, not all cars have a personality (or soul for that matter) but, some definitely do. Every vehicle I've ever owned has had a different personality. And yes, sometimes we talk to ourselves. :D

Carl La Fong
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Somebody mentioned the Dukes of Hazzard. I read somewhere that around 300 were used for the original series and another 15-20 for the movie that came out a while back. There was also a Corvette convertible that was dropped out of a plane in Con Air.

I worked at Warner Bros. during the time that Dukes was on the air. The celebrity liars have had a field day with this show. They did wreck quite a few Chargers for that show, but NO WHERE NEAR 300 cars were destroyed. Figure it out. There wasn't a big wreck in every episode, they only made 145 episodes. There were plenty made where the car was hardly featured at all. The liars that claim they built hundreds for WB are just trying to make themselves seem important.

At a shop where I worked we built 5 identical 59 Cads for Fandango with Kevin Costner. They were all painted a color that the director chose from the cap on a tube of lip balm (I shit you not). All had to start, run and drive. All had new interiors installed. All had brand new tires and batteries. I was still working at WB at the time and doing the cars at night and weekends. We delivered all the cars on a Friday. Monday when I got there, one of the cars had the entire front end removed. Fenders, hood grille bumpers, gone. The frame was cut off at the firewall. No engine or trans. The new tires and battery, gone. Windshield, gone. They had it mounted on a trailer for process shots. Another had the roof cut off. Another had the front clip removed so they could bolt an International Harvester clip on it (Long story, rent the movie). I would imagine all of them went to the crusher after shooting was over. 5 59 Cads gone forever

Insane 1
05-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Agreed alot is not what it seems, (Camero destroyed, not Challenger at the end of Vanishing Point) and it's very suprising to learn a lot of cars still survive, but stiil, I hate it, and at this point I've pretty given up watching most movies, to me its just pointless, besides I have far much better things to do anyway.

Most late model cars are insurance totals. Lots of flood cars find their way into the movies.

As far as Christine; here are a couple of pretty cool links, there was pics of what was left in the salvage yard that bought the remainding cars/parts.

http://www.allpar.com/history/christine.html

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/Christine2.html

jazzbum
05-13-2009, 02:04 AM
i used to work sometimes for a production company that contracted old cars for film shoots. without fail, directors would request some outrageous shit involving somebody's car that would result in one or more irate owners storming off the set, taking off with their cars and holding everything up. the directors would always get all pissed off, as though these owners were being unreasonable not wanting them to risk smashing up their babies for some shot that probably wouldn't make it past editing. a lot of them are pure egotists and treat everything at their disposal as exactly that, disposable. even understanding this fact, i could never understand what it seemed to suggest:

filmmakers are out to kill the movies.

here's what i mean:

movie directors, more than just about any kind of creative professional (other than maybe hot rodders), work in constant conversation with their predecessors. they drone on and on about their influences and they're always running around constructing some homage to somebody to prove they're legitimate and cultured and well-versed and what not and they all seem to be in love with the aesthetics of a bygone era and they're all auteurs. which might all be ok, i guess, were it not glaring effing hippocracy, especially in this context. They draw out of a vast artistic continuum and, in doing, add to it. or so you would think. but here's the rub: by crashing up old cars, filmmakers are actually taking the tools to which they have access, the tools which benefit them as filmmakers, out of the hands of future generations. not to mention destroying some of the only tangible, functional, practical pieces of history that exist. don't they have any interest in preserving the aesthetic artifacts of the past with which they're so obsessed? don't they want to be worshipped by future dildos in the same way they worship their idols? do they want their films to eliminate the possibility of historical settings, do they want that artistic continuum to crash and burn?

plus, you'd think they could do some shit with computers that'd work.

we need a lobby for this shit. and i don't mean sema, they just want to make sure you can have your choice of manifolds. not that manifolds aren't great and the lifeblood of the aftermarket automotive industry and all of that. i don't mean to offend any of you skilled manufacturers out there. nor do i, by the way, mean to offend any of you who may be film directors. i just mean we need a voice as old car guys. i don't see a huge difference between, say, historic houses and old cars, so what gives?

alright, that's enough, think i'll quit while i'm way the hell behind.

manifolds.

FiveDeuceFrank
05-13-2009, 02:06 AM
because of this i have always wanted to start this - peta!- people for the ethical treatment of automobiles
awesome!:d

Thunderace
05-13-2009, 04:28 AM
The film industry has been responsible for making a number of cars 'cool',
Since the early days this has involved wrecking them,
Look at some of the great black & white films from the early days,
I don't think Stan & Ollie ever drove a car that did not end up smashed.

I have had many argue that cutting up old cars to make customs,
was exactly the same vandalisum for art's sake.
End of the day mass produced cars are expendable,
where as it's art that's the cool thing.

aceuh
05-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Cars are cheap compared to multi-million dollar film budgets.

It still hurts a bit to watch sometimes though....:rolleyes:

chevy57dude
05-13-2009, 06:04 AM
:cool:I remember an old movie where a guy is in love with a 1st gen 'vette (pre IRS) and tells the owner " if I had this car I would just drive and drive". Vette guy sez "if you stay in your car for 1 month I'll give it to you". Well they welded the doors shut on his sedan and bars on the windows. On the 30th day sedan guy pulls up to the hotel where Vette dude is with sedans' girlfriend followed by a CEMENT truck! Fills the car with wet cement, tires blow out, etc... I coulda died. Probably made in the 60s? Anyone know? Oh yeah and I'm in no danger of impressing anyone with the value of my cars when I'm welding & grinding in the privacy of my shop. I do this for ME! Like my ride? Cool! Don't? Thats cool too.

63Compact
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
In the Superman movie where he fights the 3 Supervillans a 32 roadster is parked in the street and it gets crunched by cars flying all over the place.

Toby Denham
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Well, since this thread has become more serious in tone, I'm goin' to chime back in to give my 2 cents worth.

For me, hot rods and muscle cars (and the lifestyle) are all about fun. Yeah ... lookin' at 'em ... drivin' 'em ... workin' on 'em ... is what's important to me, but it's still about fun and excitement. When I see the Mustang in the movie Bullitt get ... uh, rather used up ... Yeah I cringe a bit, cause I hate to see a thing I consider beautiful messed up. However, I love the movie ... I'm a big fan of McQueen. But when that movie was made, the car was a current model offered at the time. After that movie was made, I'm sure Mustang sales spiked big time in 1968.

As for movies now bein' made smashing classic cars, I still cringe ... but it's like what was stated before on this thread, they are the property of those smashin' 'em; they are movie props. I bet a lot of 'em are not really all that nice and probably not really classic at all ... like the '55 crashed in American Graffiti ... it was a rough 4 door that was made to look like Falfa's '55.

When talkin' about Monster Garage, cuttin' and smashin' cars ... makin' whacky things out of 'em ... and yeah, even droppin' heavy things on 'em, are in keepin' with the "monster" spirit of the show. It's operating on the edge, it's crazy, and it's fun. And sometimes, to many folks, it's shocking. The Anglia that gets totaled ... yeah I cringed big time ... but I also laughed. And sure, I would have loved to have that Anglia (or any Anglia for that matter), but THAT one was not for me to have, it belonged to someone else who did what they pleased with THEIR stuff ... just like we all do.

Oh yeah ... about money ... I'm sure there're lots of people who wish to impress others with how much they can spend (is that what the so called "Gold Chainers" do?). Personally, I don't get it. I'd rather impress with my creativity and mechanical know-how. I also like to be impressed with what EACH AND EVERY ONE of you can do.

Well, this is my take on things ... for whatever that's worth. OK ... 'nuff of bein' serious ... back to havin' fun. :D

G V Gordon
05-13-2009, 09:40 AM
In the link I posted earlier from Chinatown. The owner of the '36 4dr convertible knew full well what the movie was going to do to the car. He agreed if they would give him time to gather all the parts to repair it. This included another frame.

I wish I could find the article that I read on the subject but it was years ago. Bottom line, his car, his decision, and I am sure he got paid handsomely for it, and got the fun of rebuilding his car again.

A lot of mass carnage of vintage stuff is done with miniatures, the fellows who build these are master model makers, it is very hard to tell on screen if a model was used or it was the real thing. I would almost bet money that the '32 in the Superman movie was a model.

yoyodyne
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
but here's the rub: by crashing up old cars, filmmakers are actually taking the tools to which they have access, the tools which benefit them as filmmakers, out of the hands of future generations. not to mention destroying some of the only tangible, functional, practical pieces of history that exist. don't they have any interest in preserving the aesthetic artifacts of the past with which they're so obsessed?

It could be that they are in love with the image on the screen, the film in the can, not the physical items that they have filmed. In Hollywood perhaps all is image, and substance is nonexistant therefore irrelevant, so they have no respect for the material item except as a means to an end. If you destroy something there's always another one to be bought or built, in that world. If someone dies, it's not a tragedy, it's a story. Filming hundreds of hours of film/tape and having it cut down to forty minutes or so and the rest discarded, over and over and over must do something to your outlook on the world.

yoyodyne
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Cars after all are just chunks of metal, they have no soul.

Heretic! :eek:

floored
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
This whole thread makes me happy I only watch porn, they may do some nasty stuff to cars, but at the end of the day it just washes off.:D

jazzbum
05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
It could be that they are in love with the image on the screen, the film in the can, not the physical items that they have filmed. In Hollywood perhaps all is image, and substance is nonexistant therefore irrelevant, so they have no respect for the material item except as a means to an end. If you destroy something there's always another one to be bought or built, in that world. If someone dies, it's not a tragedy, it's a story. Filming hundreds of hours of film/tape and having it cut down to forty minutes or so and the rest discarded, over and over and over must do something to your outlook on the world.

if that's the case, it's one hell of a jaw-dropping logical disconnect. you've absolutely got something there as far as the sociological/psychological implications, though. i've often wondered what effect movies have had on the collective psyche of the generations raised by them (this probably includes television as well, at least by extension). seems to me the rice-rocketeers, for example (whom some of our more "respectable" publications are so quick to lump in with the rest of us hot rodders) are missing that sense of the importance of conservation, reuse and improvisation that's so central to real hot rodding. the problem is, these douchebags are the key demographic for most filmed entertainment. and they identify with it. putting a ready-made fart pipe and a cold air box and a body kit on your civic doesn't make you a hot rodder by any means, but damned if you don't look just like paul walker driving down the road. wait, am i blaming films or honda civics? screw it, how about both.

Little Wing
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
The cars you see getting destroyed are 10-20 Footers,,most are 1 foot in the grave..Know a guy who preps cars for films.. They will have a few of the same car,,they will all get a quick paint job so they look like the same car,,( and that just the outside )
quicky patch ,bondo etc if need be,,1/2 dead motors,,Kinda like make-up for cars..

The nice ones are the close up scenes etc

fordfan289
05-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Well its an o/t car but im a early bronco fan. the newest txas chainsaw massacare just about made me cry.

jazzbum
05-13-2009, 08:48 PM
The cars you see getting destroyed are 10-20 Footers,,most are 1 foot in the grave..Know a guy who preps cars for films.. They will have a few of the same car,,they will all get a quick paint job so they look like the same car,,( and that just the outside )
quicky patch ,bondo etc if need be,,1/2 dead motors,,Kinda like make-up for cars..

The nice ones are the close up scenes etc

i've seen a warehouse or two full of workable stuff just waiting around to die. and, yeah, they might be 10-20 footers, but i know 10-20 guys who'd love to have them. there's really no excuse for wasting old steel.

Insane 1
05-13-2009, 11:58 PM
i've seen a warehouse or two full of workable stuff just waiting around to die. and, yeah, they might be 10-20 footers, but i know 10-20 guys who'd love to have them. there's really no excuse for wasting old steel.

Couldn't agree more.

Sauli
05-14-2009, 04:28 AM

-One of those stunt-Challengers from "Death Proof" lives on here in Finland. A friend of mine bought it a couple of yrs ago. It had a full cage from the front of the sub-frame on through the pass compartment all the way on to the rear of the trunk (to prevent distorting the structure with all the "aerials" they did in the ending scene, I guess). The door panels had also been ditched in favor of some 1/3" -thick steel plates protecting the driver in all the side-swipes, the fr seat backs had been cut down in half in order for the rear-seat passengers to show in frontal shots, there was a hole right in the middle of the "nostril" -hood for that chick on the hood to be secured in, and like someone already pointed out, there were, in fact a pair of fixed window frames added on the doors for the said actress in the final scene to be secured in also. The hood and the front halves of the fr fenders were crunched in plus the sides had more dents and indentations than You could shake Your stick at. What with the gutted innards and all this, this car could never be restored "stock" with any reasonable amount of work anyway, so due to this and out of respect for the movie-fame of the vehicle, my pal just swapped in a set of straight, used fr fenders, a valance, grille and a bumper on it, and had a local pinstriper paint them the matching white color, and dry-brush the sides of the fenders to match the swipe-marks on the doors and quarters. It draws a lot of attention wherever he goes in it. Usually positive. Itīs amazing how many people recognize it. The best part is, he uses it as his daily commuter. Sure wipes the menīs room floor with all the diesel minivans everybody else and their brother drives...LOL.

Von Kragen
05-14-2009, 04:46 AM
remake of gone in 60 seconds destroyed i think 6 67-68 mustang elenors but its been a good thing. because of the popularity of the replicas the aftermarket has started to produce complete body shells i wonder when theyll start doing chargers it seems like everybody likes to wreck chargers blade, fast n furious 'death proof ,dukes movies etc.

theHIGHLANDER
05-14-2009, 05:42 AM
There's always someone cryin about this shit. You watched the movie so you paid for it to happen. There's an old Ronald Reagan movie about insurance scams where they rolled over a high dollar Lincoln. Some other heavys like a Packard and some Caddys too. Oh well. Conversely, I think the movie was called "She's Got To Have It" where the star (can't recall so chime in if you do) is standing in front of her Duesenberg smashed in to a tree. I have a small still in my garage. Here's the trick to it, they put a heavy tow rope on the front and just pulled it into the tree enough to bend the bumper some and fake out some add'l damage. Even in it's day the mighty Duesy was too much to destroy on all fronts. Same with the Packard at the end of "Topper Returns" where the heavy gets his due. It was staged.

And yes the Deuce roadster and ALL the cars in the Superman flick were plastic models. The effect was less than cheezy.

nick_s
06-05-2009, 01:08 AM

Best quote, yet. They wreck TONS of great cars, and I have seen it first hand. So did the guy who built the '59 Caddys. If you want to read about it look at the article Hot Rod did for the newest fasnt n furious. What i DONT get is why take nice cars to completely trash? Start with some shitty rotted rolling chassis thats 2 feet from the crusher, hack patch it, slap in a crate motor, put China parts on it, done.

Tv shows too... Monster Garage=Gay Stopped watching when they took the nice El Camino and trashed it, heard about the beautiful 51 woodie they ripped apart, then the Anglia. I wish I could find stuff that nice around here.

Drag race high = why start with a clean chevelle when you're going to end up using the outer skin and the cowl only? WTF man.

Dont waste a perfectly good car. We are all here to salvage things from their death and make them usable again... not turn nice things into scrap piles.

pdc
06-05-2009, 01:24 AM
The 55' in American Graffiti.
The 'Stang in "Last american Hero" along with the other cars
The Ford in or fords in "Thunder Road"

54fordgasser
06-05-2009, 01:30 AM
moving past what some people said about cars not having soul and being nothing but material possesions which makes me question why they are on a web site like this, THE MAIN idea here is that there is some kind of generation gap (I haven't come up with a better way to describe it dont blast me for this statemet). I believe it is considered cool by society today and I guess non car people (always been true) to see cars wreck. Proof of this can be found in the number of car wreck videos that can be bought or the latest fast and the furious movie. I really don't care if the car is a 20 footer 55 Chevy four door dressed up as Falfa's 55. It is still a 55 Chevy and I don't think it is cool, enjoyable, interesting, or any of the above to see it get wrecked. Not because it represent money or any other materialistic idea simply because I, like many people on here, LOVE cars, ecspecially old cars and would rather see them go fast than get wrecked. This is a web site devoted to these kind of people (at least I thought it was when I joined and read the disclaimer).
just me couple cents worth

Pitbullgoingpostal
06-05-2009, 02:11 AM
The Dukes of Hazzard show started with 76 Chargers, not three hundred. After the show was over, several years later, the remaining 22 cars were sold off. The producer or director (can't remember which) was given the opportunity to buy all the cars, but couldn't afford it, or had no place to put them, or something or other. I don't remember the reasons he didn't obtain them. I read an article where he explained the story a few years back.

52 cars were damaged in some way, but not totalled completely. Some of the cars were repaired several times. They didn't just throw away a car after it got hit once. Someone mentioned earlier that there were far more than "52" cars brought back to life, or restored, because of the series. I'll go for that. Takes money to make money theory, I guess.

ltex old iron
06-05-2009, 02:52 AM

yeah i saw the same trailer..i gasped as well and muttered some cuss words and my old lady pinched me

lgh1157
06-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Im working on a $30 million movie right now, they bought a brand new F150, the next week they drove it into a wall, $30k is nothing to some L.A producer.

The movie before that they flipped a brand new dodge challenger, they flipped it twice and it landed on the front bumper .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . .

Its nothing to them

L

LOW LID DUDE
06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Demo Derby dude the only thing I liked about the video was the hot chick.Seeing the old cars smashed makes me cringe,LOL.

teisco
06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
When I started this thread I was pissed that they broad sidded a GTO Judge in the movie Sex Drive. I was pissed because I had one along time ago and it was personal. I am happy to see that I am not alone in my opinion that wreaking collector cars for profit is crap. Even if the car was a junker and made up of bondo and enamel it could have been a starter for someone.

Maybe a coalition of well to do collectors could form and put pressure on the studios to think again about smashing a nice old car...naaaah, never happen.

kustomrace
06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I 've rented my O/T van to a movie company in Detroit for a movie about a Irish mobster.They are blowing up a few cars for the movie(64 caddy,70's merc).Every time the teamsters move my van,I get "is this the one thats gets blownup?"......also one of the pyro guys has a Baileigh hat. Dave

DrJ
06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
... I have a small still in my garage. ...

Until I read further, I thought you were confessing to being a moonshiner...!?! :eek::cool:

jazzbum
06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
When I started this thread I was pissed that they broad sidded a GTO Judge in the movie Sex Drive. I was pissed because I had one along time ago and it was personal. I am happy to see that I am not alone in my opinion that wreaking collector cars for profit is crap. Even if the car was a junker and made up of bondo and enamel it could have been a starter for someone.

Maybe a coalition of well to do collectors could form and put pressure on the studios to think again about smashing a nice old car...naaaah, never happen.

i feel the same about way mail-order guitars...great minds?

rustynewyorker
06-06-2009, 01:22 AM
How about the 12 '58 Furys that were destroyed in Christine?

17 Belvederes that no one gave a shit about in 1977, not counting the rubber one they cast for some of the special effects, that could have all been bought after the filming was done.

On the other hand, like 95% of all restored 57-58 Plymouths are painted red just like the movie car, how many of them would people have saved without the loss of the ones from the movie?

-90% Jimmy

Okay, but it was a '39 Plymouth they hacked the top up on. Which could easily have been made into a pseudo-convertible when they were done.

And Tim Allen knew better than to drop a pipe on a real Nomad, they substituted a 150 Handyman - not that it's better but we tried to sell one just like it for like three years and it only brought $1500, because again it was just an old car no one gave a shit about, except eventually one Hamb'er.

When The Dukes Of Hazzard was made no one much cared about muscle cars either. No one cries about the bazillion Fury and Monaco sedans shows like that and CHiPs and every other cop show and movie destroyed, though.

The more recent Dukes movie let people buy back their cars afterwards, so even wrecked some of the stunt cars were saved.

And the Dukes TV show did go to some terrible looking miniatures after a while - mostly because they ran out of Chargers, they couldn't find any. I think it turned out to be cheaper, enough that Knight Rider followed suit towards the end too.

As for the number they wrecked, how many thousand clones came about as a result? How many people think Chargers or Trans Ams or whatever are cool because some movie featured one as the star car 10, 15, 20 years ago?

Someone mentioned the Superman movie. Special effects then was done with miniatures, like Star Wars, it's hard to find a fan big enough to blow cars through the air and so on. The '32 Ford you see smashed is probably one of the Monogram 1/8th scale kits or something like that, off the shelf to save a few bucks because that work is unbelievably expensive.

I agree Death Proof was pretty stupid, particularly the Challenger. The Vanishing Point remake roasts another Challenger, although you can see they made a roached parts car into a roller for the last scene (had it really hit those dozers at 100+ it would have exploded like a bomb and shit would have gone everywhere).

Heck I watched one Steve McQueen movie where he rents a brand new '80 Firebird and by the time they're done the entire front of the car is blown off. So what? It was a new car when the movie was made. And by '80 they pretty well sucked anyhow. Rockford Files wrecked some, too, and they'd switch a 70-73 for the 77 he drove to push off the cliff or whatever. They even pulled that with a Lincoln, replacing a relatively new one (at that time) with like a '65. Which we've had and you still can't give away, by the way.

I guess my point is if you're going to bitch about cars wrecked in movies, at least realize that half the movies people mention here the cars they wrecked were new, or not that old or special at the time.

You'd think by now these people would know better, but a lot of movies get made by whiny liberal environmental-case motherfuckers who think that smashing an old car means less pollution, never mind that the burning wreck makes more hazardous fumes than the entire life of the car did. It's gotten better, to be sure, the crews know better and try not to wreck good stuff, but sometimes they can only find one car like they want. So if it needs to get wrecked... bye! They have the budget and money rules all.

That's what it boils down to, really, $30,000 for a new car or $30,000 for a nice old car makes no difference - and sometimes it's easier to come up with 5 nearly identical old cars than to get 5 identical new ones.

That "Make Room For Shoes" commercial is a case in point. The '55 Caddy was kind of roached out and had an Earl Scheib red paintjob thrown on it, but shit it ran and drove (or someone gave it a good push and ducked) and it was a 2-door. Plus it's just not a funny commercial, it looks like the prelude to a homicide more than anything. With a little editing, they could have crushed anything painted with the same paint, stuck the Caddy bumper on the front, and had the same commercial in the end.

I always thought that's how you tell a real car guy from just someone who has a car because it's the cool, hip thing to have - the real car guy knows his car has a soul. I treat mine like it does and it hasn't let me down yet. Some of the cars I've had I've had no business getting the miles out of them that I did, but they got me home. In fact the one I parked ate a belt yesterday for no apparent reason. I haven't been as nice to it since I replaced it, it's probably not happy with me for making it a lot truck.

junk fiend
06-06-2009, 01:52 AM
School sent me to L.A. for a month to build 3 '55 ford pickups for Stallone for an upcoming movie called The Expendables.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/01/07/stallone-lundgren-and-now-mickey-rourke-get-ready-for-the-expendibles.aspx (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/01/07/stallone-lundgren-and-now-mickey-rourke-get-ready-for-the-expendibles.aspx)
All chopped 3", shaved, and lowered. The main one for stallone was a frame off. New Everything!! Motor, trans, big brakes, wheels and tires, interior, glass, weather stripping, you name it. I was so jealous being that i own a '56. I was also sick to my stomach cuz not only were the other two that matched his going to be wrecked doing stunts but I helped build them.
i watched some of this on TV cant remember what the show was called but it was all about the 3 F100s being built. and the rusty one had canted cads and a custom grill.

junk fiend
06-06-2009, 02:15 AM

well i thought about it and what you said is retarded, when i see a car get wrecked in a movie i dont go "aww that car was probly worth 100 Gs and it just got blown up" i think shit you just wrecked some car that survived this long just to be Fd up in a stupid movie(im talking about modern movies). maybe if everyone on the HAMB drove escalades and 300Cs with 24" rims and the loudest stereo possible it would be about the "look how rich i am". shit i dont even have to drive a old car i could just sit and stare at it sitting in the garage. i understand that no material things really matter in the long run but this is a gear head forum

'Mo
06-06-2009, 02:41 AM
The ORIGINAL (literally) purposefully built movie wreck stunt car ... Barris built "High School Confidential" Chevy.

http://images25.fotki.com/v899/photos/2/223020/5102508/P6030011-vi.jpg

TINGLER
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
well i thought about it and what you said is retarded, when i see a car get wrecked in a movie i dont go "aww that car was probly worth 100 Gs and it just got blown up" i think shit you just wrecked some car that survived this long just to be Fd up in a stupid movie(im talking about modern movies). maybe if everyone on the HAMB drove escalades and 300Cs with 24" rims and the loudest stereo possible it would be about the "look how rich i am". shit i dont even have to drive a old car i could just sit and stare at it sitting in the garage. i understand that no material things really matter in the long run but this is a gear head forum

Hey,
THanks for setting me straight. I never knew this was a gear head forum. I've only been on here since '02.

model-a-fan
06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm with ya on the Challenger!

vertible59
06-07-2009, 07:51 AM
In the link I posted earlier from Chinatown. The owner of the '36 4dr convertible knew full well what the movie was going to do to the car. He agreed if they would give him time to gather all the parts to repair it. This included another frame.

I wish I could find the article that I read on the subject but it was years ago. Bottom line, his car, his decision, and I am sure he got paid handsomely for it, and got the fun of rebuilding his car again.

A lot of mass carnage of vintage stuff is done with miniatures, the fellows who build these are master model makers, it is very hard to tell on screen if a model was used or it was the real thing. I would almost bet money that the '32 in the Superman movie was a model.
The story was in Street Rodder or Rod Action years ago about the Chinatown Phaeton. It was really interesting to me, that someone would take that chance with such a rare car. Lots of money must have changed hands!

dry lakes wheel man
06-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I think Hollywood has been wrecking cars, trains and plans since the beginning of moves. Check out Laurel and Hardy, the old westerns and the old crime movies. One movie that wasn't mentioned was Steel Yard Blues. In that one Donald Sutherland wrecks a 59 Caddy ambulance.

cpkphil
10-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I think it was a 39 Plymouth in Roger Rabbit.

rustynewyorker
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I said that in a post on page 7... three years ago.

HOTRODPRIMER
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Old thread but we all cringe when we see old cars destroyed! HRP

Gromit
10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
This one makes me wince... Even if it's not US Iron, it's still iconic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcmGG6VUsU

Now if there's ever a demand for mid 70's Dodge and Chev 4 doors, the Blues brothers have a lot to answer for :)

denis4x4
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I know it isn't cars, but a friend of mine has been trying to sell a Cal 39 sail boat for several years. Studio came along and paid the asking price for his and two others that would be made into cutaways as well as sunk.

Gromit
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
No matter what you destroy, it's something another person could use, or would like to have. There is no win. Throw a bloody cream pie at someone and no doubt some homeless person would have rather eaten it. Real car guys will always bristle a litt;le at car destruction. but occaisionally you need to look at the bigger picture. It's stuff.. and when you see laurel and hardy destroy a model T you have to figure.. perhaps the laughs that gave millions of people is worth more that the $20k or $30k that car Might fetch today if it were preserved.

Rob68
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
It has always made me cringe. I hate seeing cars I would love to have destroyed for movies.

dad-bud
10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks cpkphil for resurecting this thread - where did ya find it?
As noted earlier, cars have been 'cannon fodder' for the movies for a hundred years. Producers and directors don't worry about a car that only costs a very tiny fraction of the budget of a movie, and a bit like Tingler, they love the shock value just to get a reaction that comes from blowin' shit up.

porkchop4464
10-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I disagree with you on the money thing. I hear you, and understand your explanation, but I have to disagree. I built my 31 Model A when I was in high school, with help from my friends, and my uncle after my father died. Money was always short, and as a result, I had to cut back on a lot of chrome and other goodies that "Real Hot Rodders" possessed. But I have to be honest; coin was the last thing on my mind back then. I can admit that I wanted to be the fastest, and that I wanted respect for making something roll and drive quickly which the average teenage kid, my age back then, could not even comprehend. Sure, they may have been great at calc., while I didn't understand it one bit, but they had no idea what a solid lifter was, or how to adjust one. I don't know. Maybe longing for those things was just as bad as seeking the coin; but I gained a lot of pride and life knowledge in being a motor head at such a young age. I built something that was completely unique and that no one in my town had or even dreamed of. I was never in love with the snow cone looking Boyd cars of the Eighties, but I always loved and still do, the rumble of a glass-packed small or big block Chevy, and the surprise of a sleeper on the street! Is/was my interest bad? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

1gearhead
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I remember the movie A Star Is Born with Barbara Strisand and Glen Cambell and the totaled a Ferarri Daytona Spider at the end of the movie. Even though it was years ago before that car achieved monumental dollar status it was still an expensive prop.

toml24
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
How about the Steve Mcqueen racing movie "Le Mans?" The Porsche 917K that was sacrificed at the end was really another race car--a Lola. Even the Porsche monthly magazine claimed it was really a Porsche that was ruined (IIRC). The truth came out decades later.

Pharouh
10-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Look through one of those books called 'Classic Car Wrecks'
This stuff happened everyday for real.
Compared to that,Hollywood is nothing.

Bad Bob
10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
If the Zombie movie ever happens,that they want to use my Merc in,I was told they would need at least three more cars for crash scenes,gunshots,running over Zombies,and one for just a spare. That would be cool! Maybe they would sell me one of them....

S_Mazza
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
No matter what you destroy, it's something another person could use, or would like to have. There is no win. Throw a bloody cream pie at someone and no doubt some homeless person would have rather eaten it. Real car guys will always bristle a litt;le at car destruction. but occaisionally you need to look at the bigger picture. It's stuff.. and when you see laurel and hardy destroy a model T you have to figure.. perhaps the laughs that gave millions of people is worth more that the $20k or $30k that car Might fetch today if it were preserved.

Agreed. And I agree with some of what Tingler said early on here.

I get upset at destruction that is seemingly senseless. Such as several beautiful Chrysler Imperials being destroyed for an utterly lousy Green Hornet movie with the annoying Seth Rogen in it. Yech.

To put it another way, yeah, it's just stuff ... but go into the Louvre and take a crap on the Mona Lisa, and see if it doesn't ruffle a few feathers.

toledobill
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I always turn off "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" right after Spencer Tracy orders the Ice Cream at the drive-in. I don't care who owned the '32, or even that you can buy quarter panels nowadays. I care about who built the roadster and what happened to the car after it got gobsmacked.

rustynewyorker
10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Every time that fucking insurance commercial with the '61 Cadillac convertible comes on, I change the channel.

falcongeorge
10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Where do I sign?

falcongeorge
10-12-2012, 05:55 PM
How about the Steve Mcqueen racing movie "Le Mans?" The Porsche 917K that was sacrificed at the end was really another race car--a Lola. Even the Porsche monthly magazine claimed it was really a Porsche that was ruined (IIRC). The truth came out decades later.
yea, just a Lola T-70.Gee, I feel SO much better now...:rolleyes:

TIME TRAVELLER
10-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I just caught the last few minutes of Christine on TV last night - hadn't seen it in years. I want a car just like that Plymouth. Not possessed, just able to rebuild itself like new after being smashed up. No more rust, no scratches, all lights work, yeah, that's the deal.

propwash
10-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Consider the scale of the budgets that are spent on a movie. A Hundred Million Dollars is common, and a Quarter Billion Dollars is not unheard of - check here - http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/allbudgets.php

At that rate, a nice car destroyed costs less that what they spend on lunchmeat for the camera crews. You could bust up a couple Hemi Cudas and hardly notice it on the bottom line. Cars are just set props to the movie makers, same as extras and the false front buildings they build to set on fire in westerns.

I'm curious about the Cobra that got crunched in Iron Man. I was obvious that it was bent sheetmetal, not fiberglass. Anyone know what it really was? A Kirkham maybe?

Therer were two of those - both Kirkhams - one was a roller (the one that got crashed) and was purchased after the movie and is now for sale on Cobra Country as a complete turnkey car.

David Chandler
10-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I have always wondered if old cars always exploaded when they drove over a cliff or just a steep hill side? Some of them just seem to blow up before they manage to hit anything. But then those were black and white movies, so we couldn't see that they were really Hondas made to look like old cars.

Beat2Hell
10-13-2012, 12:30 PM
"Christine" I forgot exactly how many '58 plymouths they destroyed but it was too many.