Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pep Boys Motor Hoist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chandler, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

Saw in the paper ad that the Pep Boys in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is having motor hoists on sale for $119.00. It even folds up. Is this a good deal?

2. tomslik

tomslik

3. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

COOL. im going in the morining then. Its a 2 ton

4. 46stude

46stude

Thats their regular price for them, if I'm not mistaken. I've looked at them in the store- seems like they are built OK. They had an air-powered one for about $180, too.

5. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

ill have to draw the line at $119. Christmas is to close for me to get to crazy

6. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

As long as you arent using it everyday to pull a B series Cummins Diesel everyday it is an exceptional value

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

That is where I bought mine. It goes up to 4 ton but I usually take it out to 1 ton. Never had a problem.

8. The good thing about this type of hoist is you can fold up the legs and drop the boom arm and it fits in the corner in a small space. HRP

9. Have the same exact one, paid $119 for it...
    It has already paid for itself!

10. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

well good. i went out and bought it this morning

11. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i pick one up 2 weeks ago for $99.i couldnt believe it.its pretty good.i like the way it fold up.you dont have to take support leg off just fold up.

12. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

well we shall see how good it is pretty quick. All i have left to do is undo tranny (i think) and start pulling.

13. 46stude

46stude

Let us know how it performs. [​IMG]

14. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

it works great.i took a chevy 235 with trans out the back of my truck.tonight ill be lifting a 250 off the stand to mate with t350.

15. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

They have them here in Ohio for the same price.
    I got one for my b-day and gonna assemble it today.
    I like it cause' you can take the legs off and put it in the corner............

Spoons

16. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

the instructions suck but its pretty easy to figure out. Some of the pieces like 2 of the wheels and the push bar had threade pieces in the metal for you to bolt to. My threads were kinda weird. got it on there but it wont tighten. I can weld it though. Your right about the legs. Im pushed for space in my garage but since it folds up it can go into tight spots better.ALmost ready to use mine.

17. haring

haring

A few years ago, I finally bought an engine hoist. I had rented a truck to go buy a rebuilt engine for my van, and I had planned to put the engine in myself, so I needed the hoist to get it out of the pickup.

I asked my buddies who owned an auto repair shop at the end of the block if I could borrow theirs. Nope. They had let someone else borrow it. Yipes. I ran to Pep Boys to buy one. They didn't have any in stock, so they sent me to another store. I was losing valuable time to finish up and get the rental truck back on time.

I got back to the garage and started to put it together. The pieces didn't match. The legs didn't fit, and the bolt holes didn't line up. Pressed for time, I threw it back in the box and headed back to the first Pep Boys. They exchanged it for the assembled floor model. I had to strap it to the tailgate, hanging half off.

I rushed back to the garage, got the engine out and was still able to return the rental truck in time. It was one of those all-day-on-the-go kind of days.

I use that hoist all the time. Every garage needs one.

PS: We are talking about the same thing, right? I was taught that engines and motors were two different things. [​IMG]

18. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

well the only trouble im having is the support arms. the are a little short but im just going to weld em on

19. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Problems with my support arms also.. Too short by 3/8 inch [​IMG]
    Instructions suck also, couple bolts missing (metric shit),
    Torch fixed the support arms, Spare nuts and bolts fixed the missing ones...............
    [​IMG]
    Spoons

20. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

i had all of my bolts. just the arms. But its good to here that im not crazy and there really is a problem with them. I have not torch so Ill just try to weld them on.