View Full Version : Lake Street (Mpls, MN) in the 60s

Pages : [1] 2

GonzoMN
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Looking for pictures of Lake St in Mpls in the 60s. Used to cruise it in the late 60s & early 70s & would like to find some pictures.

Newbomb Turk
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Might want to edit the title to Lake St in Minneapolis. Probably alot of Lake Streets out there.

JohnnyFast
03-08-2009, 12:44 PM
We cruised Lake Street a lot in the early 60's....never thought to take any pictures. :) I remember Porky's, the BigWheel, the Avalon theater, Sears, etc.

SvenskeRod
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I wonder if you aren't thinking of University? At least today Porky's is on University in St. Paul, and Sears is just down the road.

Newbomb Turk
03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
1 of 2 original Porkys was on Lake back in the day. They use to cruise Lake and Uni back then. It was called cruising the loop. They still cruise Uni but the import kids and modern cars have pretty much ruined it. I haven't been to Porkys on Uni in a couple years.

I wonder if you aren't thinking of University? At least today Porky's is on University in St. Paul, and Sears is just down the road.

GonzoMN
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
The loop we used to do was Porky's East (close to Hiawatha Ave) to Porky's West (Out at the west end of Lake St.) Never got over to University when I was in High School. Lot of racing in Hy-Lake shopping center across the street from Porky's east.

Newbomb Turk
03-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm too young to have participated, but have heard many stories. I didn't know there were 3 Porkys.

The loop we used to do was Porky's East (close to Hiawatha Ave) to Porky's West (Out at the west end of Lake St.) Never got over to University when I was in High School. Lot of racing in Hy-Lake shopping center across the street from Porky's east.

Eracer
03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Not quite a "crusier" but, some of Minneapolis' favorite sons.

Eracer
03-08-2009, 07:57 PM
John Hagen RIP

Eracer
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Richard Charbonneau

Newbomb Turk
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow Eracer, that's some cool shit!!!:cool:

Eracer
03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Warren Johnson

malkintent
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
i remamber a cranky old body guy with pics of east lake st. 4th ave auto body.
not sure if he's still there.

chuck i think

stuart in mn
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Try http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/search.cfm?bhcp=1 It's the photo database of the Minnesota Historical Society. Enter "lake street minneapolis" and the range of years you want, click on the box to show only online images, and a bunch of pictures will show up.

Both Lake Street Porky's later on were turned into Nora's restaurants (Nora was Porky's wife.) The west one was torn down a few years ago and some other restaurant is in its place; I'm not sure but the east building may still be there - I haven't looked for it in a while. I checked the MHS link and there are some Porky's photos, but only of the one on University in St. Paul.

Newbomb Turk
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Awesome link. Thanks!!!:cool:

Try http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/search.cfm?bhcp=1 It's the photo database of the Minnesota Historical Society. Enter "lake street minneapolis" and the range of years you want, click on the box to show only online images, and a bunch of pictures will show up.

Both Lake Street Porky's later on were turned into Nora's restaurants (Nora was Porky's wife.) The west one was torn down a few years ago and some other restaurant is in its place; I'm not sure but the east building may still be there - I haven't looked for it in a while. I checked the MHS link and there are some Porky's photos, but only of the one on University in St. Paul.

paperdog
03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
We cruised Lake Street a lot in the early 60's....never thought to take any pictures. :) I remember Porky's, the BigWheel, the Avalon theater, Sears, etc.

AVOLON THEATRE!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OOPS I"m givin it away...... A MR Holmes used to hang out there...
SADLY I HAVE NO PICTURES EITHER..

THAT LOOP WAS MADE ONLY A FEW TIMES IN THE SUMMER BY US..WE DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO HIDE:D

ModelAMafia
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
right on, sweet pictures.

good_ol_boy
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I came across this before while searching for Minneapolis hotrod history...

1950s — Lake Street Cruising: The latter half of the 1950s was home to dragsters; kids would cruise Lake Street until 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. every day of the week in 400 horsepower muscle cars.
Porky’s Drive-In at 21st and Lake: The king of drive-ins. Specific guys had their own parking spaces on specific nights. This was the place for boys and girls to meet. The best lines were saved for the car hops. A police officer was stationed there.
Mr. Frank’s Drive-In, at Lake and Hiawatha: The drive-in for nerds, although it had better cokes than Porky’s.
Porky’s at Lake Calhoun: The hang-out for “snobs” and “high-rent girls”. Close by was Mac’s Millions (later Altman’s), where a guy would prep a girl for River Road (to see the submarine races) if he sensed that his date was ready for some physical activity.
Cost of gasoline: 29 cents a gallon. For $2.00 you could cruise Lake Street all night.
$1.00 birthday cake: $1.00 of gasoline poured on two blocks of Lake Street and lit.
Drag racing: The Hi/Lake Shopping Center parking lot was the favorite. Cars would race in the lot, hit the brakes at the sidewalk and slide to the curb on the other side of the street. Once in a while a car would go through a storefront. Another speed game occurred between 21st and Cedar Avenues. Cars started at 21st and attempted to make the yellow light at Cedar traveling at 80 mph.

from-http://visitlakestreet.com/about/history/

sho1off
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
someone brought a harley drag bike down to porkys on east lake one night we got away with a lot back then

stuart in mn
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Drag racing: The Hi/Lake Shopping Center parking lot was the favorite. Cars would race in the lot, hit the brakes at the sidewalk and slide to the curb on the other side of the street. Once in a while a car would go through a storefront. Another speed game occurred between 21st and Cedar Avenues. Cars started at 21st and attempted to make the yellow light at Cedar traveling at 80 mph.

from-http://visitlakestreet.com/about/history/

I used to work with a guy who was a bit of a hoodlum in the 1950s. He once told me about trying to get away from the cops in a '57 Oldsmobile, and trying to take the corner at Lake and Lyndale at 70mph. That didn't work out too well for him. :)

madjack
03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Toured with Hoovers a bit while in high school. Worked for WJ in Fridley. We'd cruise Centeral and the Sun after dark. Never did get to Lake much. Plenty of action for the serious money racers up in nordeast

paperdog
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Richard Charbonneau

hey what a time warp
this ford wagon was from my old nayborhood in Maple Grove we used to look at it when the garage door was open ask to go sit in it when we could ... we even where friendly to his kids so we could hang around the garage ... now that was always fun :D

4dFord/SC
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Looking for pictures of Lake St in Mpls in the 60s. Used to cruse it in the late 60s & early 70s & would like to find some pictures.

Sorry, no pictures, but I fondly recall participating in a number of Stoplight Grand Prix's on Lake St. in the late 50's and early 60's. We'd head up from Bloomington on a Saturday night with someone's latest-and-greatest to try our luck. Interestingly enough, one of our more successful cars was a stock 6-cylinder '56 Ford with 3-speed transmission that belonged to the son of the Bloomington police chief. It was a real sleeper. Fortunately, he/we never got pulled in it. Later on, I used to take my dad's '59 Jaguar, which had a killer 2d gear. Again, luck was with us, and he never found about those escapades in his baby. Those were the days when 4 guys with $2.00 each could get a tank of gas and a case of Kingsbury beer, and make a night of it. After the beer was gone, we'd trade in the shell for enough money to buy a pack of cigarettes, and maybe stop at the White Castle for a 25-cent bag of gut bombs. It never occurred to us to take any pictures, probably to protect the guilty:)

paperdog
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Warren Johnson

hey its old home week !
a buddy sold WJ'S old 40 chev drag racer a few years ago it had had the big block engine that went into his camaro when he went P/S racing....the stock 307 from the camaro went into the 40 it was still in when sold... I have the 3spd that came from it
small world small world

smitty78
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Paperdog, my shop teacher Don Johnson from Fridley High was Warren Johnson's relative, cousin I think. He owned that 40 Chev he brought in pics and talked about it quite a bit. That was around 1994-95.
Did your buddy get that car from WJ's relative? He was a really great guy and I've always wondered what happened to him

Jalopy Jim
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Use to do a long night of cruising starting at Mr Bigs in Anoka, then the Nest in Robbinsdale, Porky's west lake, Porky's east lake, Porkys, Universite, the tea house drive in by lake Phalen Saint Paul, then Friskys in Anoka, and Home to the Farm in Dayton Mn.
Driving my 60 blue Studebaker lark, R1, Lincoln tranny, Stude pick up rearend. one fast street racer. The races were ran on Bunker Lake road behind Minnesota dragways. Miss thoose days back in 65-66. Back then I was the Studebaker man. My Uncle was the last Studebaker dealer.

jim h

paperdog
03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Paperdog, my shop teacher Don Johnson from Fridley High was Warren Johnson's relative, cousin I think. He owned that 40 Chev he brought in pics and talked about it quite a bit. That was around 1994-95.
Did your buddy get that car from WJ's relative? He was a really great guy and I've always wondered what happened to him

yup i think it was a relative ..and the time line is right ..
i have other pics but they will not reduce enuf for the hamb..

i tried really hard to get my buddy to advertise nationally when he went to sell ...i had just bought a car myself and was tapped out.. but he took the first offer ...pretty cheap .... i was storing all the original parts from it for him .they went with except the trans (it was in a nother pile o stuff)

i thought the PETERSON MUSEUM would have been interested ... we had WJ sign the dash at the mdra bench racing day thats where the photo was taken...
sadly i never got to drive it .. it was a handful with the suspension set up for the drags..not fast just squirrily

SvenskeRod
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow, I was WAY off, I wish I could have been around for all of this! Now it's all Hondas...

Wicked Tin
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I was born way too late, I have heard alot of stories and wish I could have been there.

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 05:44 AM

MN Historical Society is a great idea. I"ll check it out.

JohnnyFast
03-09-2009, 07:31 AM
AVOLON THEATRE!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OOPS I"m givin it away...... A MR Holmes used to hang out there...
SADLY I HAVE NO PICTURES EITHER..

Are you suggesting that the Avalon showed movies that might not be approved by the PTA ? My only interest in that place was the Art Deco architecture of the building. :D

55FORDWGN
03-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I used to cruise Lake Street in the late 60's. I lived close to the west Porky's but there was way more action at the east Porky's. Minnesota Auto Specialties (MAS)
was across the street from the junior high school I went to and Dick Charbonneau's
wagon used to sit right out on Hennipen Ave. during the day, inside the shop at night. There was a group of guys called "The Soulful Strutters" most of the cars had
straight axles ( 54 Chevy, 68 Hemi Dart ). There was another drive in about 2 blocks
further east on Lake St. called "Franks" where the really "cool" people hung out.
There was alot of racing in " Hi-Lake" shopping center. I was about 17 at that time and am sure all the "older" guys looked down their noses at us youngsters. I currently
cruise over to the Porky's on University once in a while contrary to popular belief it is
not full of Honda's or rice burners but there are alot of new Mustangs and Camaros. No matter what anyone says its still a fun place to go, on Friday nights when
No. St. Paul is going alot of those people cruise thru Porky's after that show. I guess
my point is we all started some where and there are still kids going to Porky's with cars they modify and enjoy. P.S. my 21 year old son hangs out there in his 63 Nova
wagon with a 283 and a 4spd. Thanks for reminding me of all the good times.

jjrodder
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I used to cruise both Lake Street Porky's and Univ-Porky's in the 60's. I belonged to the Torquers CC in Mpls and we had a blast cruising on Fri and Sat nights in both cities. We had a friendly rivalry with the Amblers CC and had a lot of fun with our old cars back then. Here is a picture taken in the late 60's of a group of us getting gassed up for a cruise. Note the Green Stamp signs. They were a big promo deal back then.
JJ

saltflatmatt
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I used to cruise both Lake Street Porky's and Univ-Porky's in the 60's. I belonged to the Torquers CC in Mpls and we had a blast cruising on Fri and Sat nights in both cities. We had a friendly rivalry with the Amblers CC and had a lot of fun with our old cars back then. Here is a picture taken in the late 60's of a group of us getting gassed up for a cruise. Note the Green Stamp signs. They were a big promo deal back then.
JJ

jjrodder, you didn't know Bruce Ross by chance did you? He had a 32 P/U and has been looking for pics of it...

BJR
03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I used to cruise Lake Street in the mid 60's to early 70's. Had a 57 Pontiac Safari wagon with a straight axle, purple metalflake paint, and a 389 with 3 2's and a 4 speed. Ran my Olds powered 34 Ford 4 dr sedan there also. A drag race at every stop light on Friday and Saturday nights. We would drive 2 MPH holding up traffic, just to to stage the next race at the next red light. The trip was Porky's Hi Lake to Porky's by Lake Calhoun. Worst I ever got was a loud muffler ticket in all those years, the cops were pretty nice back then. That was before all the gang bangers showed up.

63CadGuy
03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Are you suggesting that the Avalon showed movies that might not be approved by the PTA ? My only interest in that place was the Art Deco architecture of the building. :DMan, I snuck into that place when I was 16 with my buddies! I grew up about a mile and a half south of Lake st. between Bloomington and Cedar ave. Lake street was pretty done with being the hot cruising spot in the late 70's when I went to HS, we cruised out in Hopkins.

seesko
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Nora's had the best onion rings on the planet.

I cuised Lake in the early to mid 70's in my Grabber Yellow Boss 302. I'll
have to see if I have any pics. University too.

seesko
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
OT
Anyone cruise Lake Phalen on Sunday afternoon or Hopkins when it was so windey?
There was some cool cars at Phalen.

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Nora's had the best onion rings on the planet.

I cuised Lake in the early to mid 70's in my Grabber Yellow Boss 302. I'll
have to see if I have any pics. University too.

Porky's on University still has great onion rings. Twice the grease & twice the salt. You can almost feel your arteries hardening

seesko
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Porky's on University still has great onion rings. Twice the grease & twice the salt. You can almost feel your arteries hardening

I can feel it just reading this. :D LMAO!!
I forgot they still make 'em there. My wife had to take her sister from New Jersey over to St Paul from here in Plymouth so she could have her Nora's/Porkey's ring fix.:p

paperdog
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Are you suggesting that the Avalon showed movies that might not be approved by the PTA ? My only interest in that place was the Art Deco architecture of the building. :D

funny we snuck in (as much as a group of 4 GUYS 2 CHICKS can)the Avalon underage during a HIGH school day ... my buddies thought it funny to fling HANDFULLS of corn huskers lotion all over .. well thats what they said they brought the lotion for????

THIS THREAD MAKES FEEL ALL WARM AND TINGLY...
AVALON XXX THEATRE.Richard Charbonneau's BROOKDALE FORD WAGON ,WJ'S CARS, HECK I WAS AT THE TOP END OF BIR WHEN HAGEN CRASHED , CRUISIN ALL AROUND THE ST.PAUL MPLS AREAS ...
GOSH I'M REALLY OLD and need threads like this to keep me thinking I've had a wonderful life

WO OHHHH MEMORIES WO O,HOOO MEMORIES

61bone
03-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Went to Dunwoody 64-66. Engaged in a couple of acceleration contests on Lake. Kept the 55 running and paid tuition. Worked at the Ford dealer in Edina evenings 4days a week. Cruised from Lake Calhoun to the state house. Got stopped a couple times, but John just looked the car over and told me to keep it down. Used to have dozens of pics of cars and locations there but all disappeared during a cleaning at moms place along with 30-40 model cars, a 55-65 collection of playboys and a new 2x4 setup with a Mallory Mini-mag. Good times.
Anybody remember the "Leapfrog Falcon"? Pics?

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
My dad had a used car lot at 501 W. Lake Street, Royce Motors "Roll with Royce". It was fun to go over to the tall Sears building and get tools. We gave alot of business to the nearby White Castle (I heard that the Sears is closed and the White Castle is gone). There were so many used car lots and new car dealers on Lake Street back in the day. It seemed all the "cool cars" were out on the weekends cruising Lake Street. Now if someone ever invents time travel........

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I remember a dark blue early 60's Falcon with a straight axle & cut out rears.

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 02:05 PM
My dad had a used car lot at 501 W. Lake Street, Royce Motors "Roll with Royce". It was fun to go over to the tall Sears building and get tools. We gave alot of business to the nearby White Castle (I heard that the Sears is closed and the White Castle is gone). There were so many used car lots and new car dealers on Lake Street back in the day. It seemed all the "cool cars" were out on the weekends cruising Lake Street. Now if someone ever invents time travel........

If it's the lot I'm thinking of, he had a mid 50's olds with a chopped top & a Pontiac Parisienne 4 door with a factory 4-speed. Also remember a gasser style GTO on a different lot.

seesko
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
funny we snuck in (as much as a group of 4 GUYS 2 CHICKS can)the Avalon underage during a HIGH school day ... my buddies thought it funny to fling HANDFULLS of corn huskers lotion all over .. well thats what they said they brought the lotion for????

THIS THREAD MAKES FEEL ALL WARM AND TINGLY...
AVALON XXX THEATRE.Richard Charbonneau's BROOKDALE FORD WAGON ,WJ'S CARS, HECK I WAS AT THE TOP END OF BIR WHEN HAGEN CRASHED , CRUISIN ALL AROUND THE ST.PAUL MPLS AREAS ...
GOSH I'M REALLY OLD and need threads like this to keep me thinking I've had a wonderful life

WO OHHHH MEMORIES WO O,HOOO MEMORIES

I moved to the Twin Cities from Wichita, Kan. in 1973 out of High School.
Had a red 66 Mustang Notchback 3sp 289. My first car. I have some great memories of cruising all over the Twins and Wichita. I get the misty eyes too reading all this. I only raced at Minnesota Dragway once in 75. Glad I'm old enough to have lived the muscle cars and Beatles and all that the 60's and 70's mean to me.
When I say my brain still hasn't grown up we can all realate to that.
Who wants to grow up? :rolleyes:
I think I'm having as good a time as ever:).

55FORDWGN
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Does anybody remember a guy by the name of Bob Standell? Not sure about the name but he drove the most beautiful candy pagan gold 57 Ford with a straight axle,
big block, and Goodyear bluestreaks. I think it was a 2 door post, the axle was all chrome and I think it had a crossram and a 4spd. Anybody?

Hellbound_Hootch
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Question,,, was HIDDEN beach always THE place for SKINNY dipping?

xoxox
MISS hbh

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Question,,, was HIDDEN beach always THE place for SKINNY dipping?

xoxox
MISS hbh

If your talking on Cedar Lake, then yes!!!!

40 & 61 Fords
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
JJ

JJ,
How about sharing more of those photo's of the early days of Minnesota Rodding with us young guys who have grown up hearing all the great stories from all our MSRA Forefathers!?!?!?!?!?!
My Dad's been a member since about 1974, so I've heard a bunch of good stories. It's been fun to getting to become friends with a lot of the "old timers" that were my heros when I was a kid.

55FORDWGN
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I lived on the other side of Cedar Lake from " Private Beach". I don't think I ever used to see any skinny dippin there, but we sure did drink alot down at that beach. We were riding mini bikes up and down the path to the lake one day and had a really cool crash at a blind spot on the path unless you were the guy that got a bunch of stitches.

55FORDWGN
03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I didn't stop to take pictures, to busy having a good time

jjrodder
03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
JJ,
How about sharing more of those photo's of the early days of Minnesota Rodding with us young guys who have grown up hearing all the great stories from all our MSRA Forefathers!?!?!?!?!?!
My Dad's been a member since about 1974, so I've heard a bunch of good stories. It's been fun to getting to become friends with a lot of the "old timers" that were my heros when I was a kid.

40 & 61 Fords: Thanks for the reply. I will try to get some more old photos scanned soon. I have a lot of them in my files but most are B&W prints, so scanning is the only way to do it. Those were the good old days.

[QUOTE=saltflatmatt] jjrodder, you didn't know Bruce Ross by chance did you? He had a 32 P/U and has been looking for pics of it...QUOTE]

saltflatmatt, I sure do know Bruce. We belonged to the Torquers at the same time. I never saw Bruce's 32 P/U as he had it before I knew him, but I remember him talking about it. I haven't seen Bruce in probably 25 years. Have him contact me, I would like to catch up on old times.
JJ

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
JJ,

Would love to see some more pictures when you post them. The one you posted is exactly what I was looking for.

Here are a couple of Lake street & a couple for those that grew up in South Mpls.

Lake Street 1956
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/LS1956.jpg

Lake & Portland 1960
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/LS1960.jpg

For those from South Mpls

Airloha Drive-in
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/AirlohaDriveIn.jpg

Beek's Pizza
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/BeeksPizza38hia.jpg

Charlie's A & W
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/Charlies.jpg

Porky's on University
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Misc/Porkeys.jpg

seesko
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Great pics above. Before my time here but I can feel the ghosts .

paperdog
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you
i'm still gettin good vibrations ....from this great thread

who says that all the good stuff was from the left coast!

tubman
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
God, you guys! What memories this brings back! My eyes are all misty too! I went through the whole thing! I had a '51 Ford 4door back then and wasn' competitive, so I guess I was "lurking" even back then.:( The one thing I remember is the "rich kds" from Edina, Wayzata etc. bringing their families new 4door (mostly GM) sedans to Porkies. Does the term "Daddie's car" yelled at them as they cruised through bring back any rememberances?:)

Tubman

piker
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I cruised down Lake Street a few times in late 60's. Some nice cars , cruising from one Porkys(Noras) to the other Porkys. I lived out of St Paul and everyone cruised around the Loop there. Lotsa cars, girls and Oh Yes COPS. They loved pulling you over for anything. Losta racing going on after 10:00 at night when the traffic died down. Also crusing down University ave three Bears resturant down to Porkys, and drag racing across the Lafayette Bridge in St Paul. Also crusing around the Lakes. Looking for action. There is still a lot of Muscle cars cruise down University Ave. when the weather is nice.

Newbomb Turk
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Man, there are days a hate being my age. I wish i coulda been there. :cool:

74Bob
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I graduated from Roosevelt in 1968. Lived on 42nd and Cedar. I spent countless fondly remembered nights cruising Lake St. from 1966 (drivers license) through July 1970 (drafted). I worked at Sears on Lake St. that whole period. I vividly remember myself and friends breaking a lot of parts on our cars during Lake St. acceleration demonstrations.

As I recall, we usually always ran the course from Frank's on Hiawatha, a quick pull through Porky's at 21st Ave then down to Hennepin Ave and back again. Occasionally all the way to Porky's west.

I saw some real action through the hight of the muscle car era on Lake St that will never be seen again. It was a sight to behold.

74Bob

GonzoMN
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I graduated from Roosevelt in 1968. Lived on 42nd and Cedar. I spent countless fondly remembered nights cruising Lake St. from 1966 (drivers license) through July 1970 (drafted). I worked at Sears on Lake St. that whole period. I vividly remember myself and friends breaking a lot of parts on our cars during Lake St. acceleration demonstrations.

As I recall, we usually always ran the course from Frank's on Hiawatha, a quick pull through Porky's at 21st Ave then down to Hennepin Ave and back again. Occasionally all the way to Porky's west.

I saw some real action through the hight of the muscle car era on Lake St that will never be seen again. It was a sight to behold.

74Bob

Graduated from Roosevelt in 70.

40 & 61 Fords
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/LS1960.jpg

The place on the left is still there today. It has the word "service" in concrete Deco style lettering molded into the roof above the garage doors. I have a shot ofit from about 10 years ago I'll find in the morning and scan.

Here's a scan of a crappy pic I took of the place back in 1992

titus
03-09-2009, 11:07 PM
One of my teachers in hight school use to tell these crazy long winded stories, and one day he told us about a time he cruised to porkys, the story goes like this:

I remember cruising porkys when i was young, it was cool if you sat in the front seat, if you were in the back seat you werent cool, so we use to cruise around with three of us in the front seat, so one day we were pulling into porkys and i was in the far right spot, so quickly i leaned over and hid and when i did that i reached over and honked the horn so everyone would look, and what did they see, to cool dudes sitting in the front seat right next to each other....close, with no one on the passenger side! it was great.

Ill always remember that story, the funny thing is the teacher was old, he was like 65 or so so it must have been about 1950 or so.

I use to cruise porkys alot when i weas younger, from about 1997-2003 were about the years that we spent lots of time there, every friday and saturday night we were there, wed be sittin in the parking lot accross from arbys, getting people to do burnouts, we put oil down to lesson the friction on the tires so cars that usually wouldnt do burners would, it was great, wed be there for hours, i got pulled over only once in my t-bucket for loud exhaust, but one time in the parking lot across from Arbys the cops came in and made us all move, well a buddy of mines car wouldnt start and we wer trying to get it started and needless to say the cop about had it, took a buddy of mine and cuffed him and threw him in the back of the squad and was about to come after more of us but then i dont know what happened, he just chilled out and let my buddy out of the cop car and we got the car going and got the heck out of there!

fun times!

JEFF

seesko
03-10-2009, 12:27 AM
If your talking on Cedar Lake, then yes!!!!

Bare butt beach.

badlefihand
03-10-2009, 04:30 AM
CC Tap 26th and Lyndale ,Broadway bar nordeast,Original Carbones pizza east 7th and Maria in St Paul right near Indian Mounds Park.(I wonder if she went back to Washington,Pa) Green door 26th and Lyndale, The Savoy ,Petes Kennel bar 27th near lake,Pearsons, The Hexagon.The Flame.Buzz Arletts lake and Lyndale, Harkins on 8th st in St Paul,Mouseys and the Anglesy,Saddle club on Hennipin.The bottle neck hennipin ,Lyndle and a whole bunch of other sts come together there. I was there,No pics but was on Lake,University,Central,Marshell and the Lake st bridge, and 6th st in St Paul.Lots of Chevys w/3 duses back than,they wern't much,needed to rev to high.Pontiac,olds,and those with torque pretty much had the upper hand in those short runs I run a 389 stepped up a bit back than.Harley 74 ,suicide clutch,dead mans throttle with a jockey when I left the 389 at home,Had a girl friend that used to stand up on the seat going down lake. Remember the lights were set for about one block at a time.Innocent days back than,never be a time like that again.

BJR
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Class of 68 West High, we lived at Porky's by lake Calhoun.

74Bob
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM

The place on the left is still there today. It has the word "service" in concrete Deco style lettering molded into the roof above the garage doors. I have a shot ofit from about 10 years ago I'll find in the morning and scan.

Portland-Lake Motors from the above photo. I remember going there in the spring of 1968 with a couple high school buddies to look at a '67 Ford Fairlane GT convertible 4 speed. Practically new used car. Yellow w/ black interior. Some of the details are a bit hazy (41 years ago), it was a 390 but it definitely had a Ford 3-2bbl set up on it which must have been an over the counter dealer add on. My buddy who was interested in it was working on getting his parents to co-sign a loan. He never got it, but I often wonder what ever happened to that 4 speed convertible GT.

74Bob

BJR
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Does anyone remember Woody Harrier the seat cover king. He had a shop just past Porky's High Lake, and at night his neon sign looked like a dancing weiner. And of coarse all the new orange Minneapolis Moline tractors at the factory lot at Lake and Hiawatha with the White Castle across the street.

stichbitch
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
OT
Anyone cruise Lake Phalen on Sunday afternoon or Hopkins when it was so windey?
There was some cool cars at Phalen.

My Dad use to cruise Phalen. He has told me lots of stories about cruising Phalen, Como, and university. He when to Harding, graduated in 76 so it was a bit later. One he told me was when I was an infant. He would still want to go out and cruise so he would take me with. He said he would lay me on the floor so no one would see me. Now he says it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. But times were different then.

seesko
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
My Dad use to cruise Phalen. He has told me lots of stories about cruising Phalen, Como, and university. He when to Harding, graduated in 76 so it was a bit later. One he told me was when I was an infant. He would still want to go out and cruise so he would take me with. He said he would lay me on the floor so no one would see me. Now he says it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. But times were different then.

When I was a kid your seat belt was your mom's right arm. Hit the binders and out goes the arm.:)
I do the same thing even though we all wear seatbelts.:D
Growing up in Kansas in the 50's abnd 60's you could drive your car any where and leave the keys in it. Even downtown Wichita. Times really are different.:(

40 & 61 Fords
03-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Two events i fondly remember from my childhood were cruising Porky's on University and the Sun up on Central on the last nights they were open. I remember my Dad telling me how sad of a day each of these events were and how lucky we were to be some of the last people to be there. I don't think he thought that Porky's would reopen the place on university. Who would have ever guessed they would build a NEW Porky's not far from where the Sun was!

smitty78
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
In the late 70's early 80's my mom worked nights. My dad would put my sister and I in our pajamas, and throw us in what ever muscle car he had at the time. He would cruise Central, down town Mpls, and the Mid-way until we were asleep. I still remember he racing from stop lights

The new NE Porky's is a ghost town. I drove by Saturday night during Back to the Fifties last year, and there was one 63 Impala there at about 8 pm. That was the only car!!

piker
03-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I spent countless hours cruising lake phalen in st. paul.I had a 70 el camino(brand new)but kept getting told to leave by st pauls finest because it was a truck and not suppose to be on the parkway. I finally put recreational license plates on it and they left me alone.I cruised across the Lafeyette bridge in a 435 hp vette one night at 125+ there were a lot of hemi's, 454's, 440's. White Castle downtown was the top of the loop where every one hung out.I think that every car that pulled out had to squel the tires.Cops went thru every 5 minutes,or were parked across the street constantly.It wasn't too hard to find something going on around the loop even if it was below 0. Maybe if there was a blizzard no one would be there. lotsa fun!

titus
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I also remember hanging out at Wards with my dad when i was like 9 or 10 or so in his 33 ford tudor, that was fun, even thou i dont remember much of it. now wards it long gone and a few years back (probably more than a few) the whole old building is gone too. fun times.

JEFF

Bull
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Anyone remember a black 35 Ford Pick-up called Little Ebony? It had belly burner pipes running along the bedsides and had red & black (I think) tuck & roll in the interior and on the tonneau cover. I have the 51 Merc flatty that was painted chrome yellow with Offenhauser heads and Fenton 2x2 intake from the truck. The truck belonged to my uncle, Denny Bateman, before he went to Vietnam. I'd love to find some pics of the truck, but haven't been able to do so yet.

55FORDWGN
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
One night we were sitting in Hi-Lake shopping center and we decided with a handicap my Volkswagen could beat Bruce McKechren's 66 442 to the other side of the parking lot. Well with really careful calculations we set-up the handicap, I took off with the 442 in hot pursuit, I would have won except that McKechren refused to lose. The 442 ended up sideways in a cloud of brake smoke almost leaning on the Clark's Submarine Sandwich building. What a great race.

Alienbaby17
03-11-2009, 02:21 PM

I worked on 33rd Avenue and East Lake for a couple of years in the mid 90's at a little garage. One of the guys I worked with (Pete Leinke) was pushing 50 at the time and used to tell me about the 'stop light grand prixs' he used to participate in in his '69 Camaro when he was in high school. He said Lake Street used to be THE place to cruise back then.

I was going to say- I thought that Portland Lake Motors looked about the same the last time I went by it (probably a few years ago now.)

I remember venturing down to "the cities" from the suburbs shortly after graduating high school in 1992. I drove by that lot and there was a gorgeous dark blue '72 Nova sitting there- really clean, nice stance, V8 with some speed parts. I think it was after hours so I called them the next day to inquire about it. It was going for around $3000 which was only slightly less than average for a fairly clean Nova at the time.

I remember thinking the car would sit there forever. I thought nobody in 'the city' was into cool cars- everyone I saw was driving new sedans, SUVs and imported cars. I think I waited a few days to go back and she was LONG gone. I had a lot to learn then. Now I've lived in Minneapolis for almost 12 years and I can go down almost any alley and point out the house that has the cool car...

bobw
03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh179/rwstillwater/l-1.jpg
Here's a cartoon I did for the MSRA "Linechaser" a few years ago. In the mid to late 50's we would drive all the way from the east side of St. Paul to the Champion Auto Store on West Lake because in the rear of the store they stocked real speed parts. I believe this was before The Big Wheel was around. We would cruise University to Porky's or go to Jerry's Drive In on White Bear Ave. and order Lemon-Limes and lace them with a little alcohol. I remember the first two (I think) Back to the Fifties, which were held in the Midway Shopping Center parking lot. It's a bit bigger now. To most of us East Siders Minneapolis was a foreign country in the 1950's.

deuces94
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
'56 2 dr chebby post. 348 Cubes with tri-power Fox headers and 4 speed. Black with cheaters and always ready to go. Raced Lake until they put the center barriers in and ruined it all. Put the '56 into a light pole and sold it for a couple hundred bucks to a kid that needed the motor for his '58.

74Bob
03-11-2009, 05:20 PM
'56 2 dr chebby post. 348 Cubes with tri-power Fox headers and 4 speed. Black with cheaters and always ready to go. Raced Lake until they put the center barriers in and ruined it all. Put the '56 into a light pole and sold it for a couple hundred bucks to a kid that needed the motor for his '58.

What year did they put the left turn lanes in on Lake St? I don't remember exactly when it happened, but I do remember that it put quite a damper on the street racing, as I recall.

You mentioned cheater slicks. I put a pair on my old '55 Bel Aire 2 Dr sedan in about 1968 and quickly learned the weak points of the stock 3 spd trans, drive shaft, and third member. I always kept spares on hand. I still remember the sound and movement the '55 would make when the spider gears would break in the rear end.

74Bob

DeuceKustoms
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
hearing all these stories makes me wish I was around "the cities" back in the 50's and 60's... nowadays, at least in my town I pretty much have got the custom/hot rod that gets out in public on the weekdays. its pretty sad. :( it sure is funny to see peoples reactions when i pull up to the grocery store in my 59 pontiac, they act like i am from another planet or something. its fun to see the little kids get all excited though, even though their moms are ducking for cover :)

Newbomb Turk
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Any of you guys wanna recapture some of the good old days feelings see this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342341

:D

partsdawg
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
We used to drive up to Lake on Saturdays from Rochester to seek out new rides.
There wasnt much for sale on the local lots and we just KNEW the cars on Lake
had good speed stuff.Bought a few hopped up street warriors and most even made
the trip back to Rochester.Most had been flogged so hard they were used up.
Moved up to the western 'burbs and managed to do the Uni-Lake cruise in a 427
'51 Chevy business coupe for a couple of years.Only bummer was the '51 had 4.88's and it was a slooooooow ride in and back.

63CadGuy
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM

74Bob

I'm a youngin' I graduated from Roosevelt in 1979 and grew up on 44th and 16th. Anyone cruise Lake Nokomis, little beach during the summer?

63CadGuy
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I also remember hanging out at Wards with my dad when i was like 9 or 10 or so in his 33 ford tudor, that was fun, even thou i dont remember much of it. now wards it long gone and a few years back (probably more than a few) the whole old building is gone too. fun times.

JEFF

Yeah, I remember many a big dollar street races setup over in the Wards parking lot.

63CadGuy
03-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Clark's Submarine Sandwich
Ate many sub sandwiches there!!!

GonzoMN
03-12-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm a youngin' I graduated from Roosevelt in 1979 and grew up on 44th and 16th. Anyone cruise Lake Nokomis, little beach during the summer?

Grew up on 46th & Minnehaha & definitely cruised Lake Nokomis.

40 & 61 Fords
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Anybody remember the "Power Wagon" from the central/wards days? That thing had a badass hemi in it if I remember. I never saw it run, but everybody knew it was nasty. I heard that he did run it on University one of the last nights Wards was the hot place, and racked up a book of tickets. I saw what was left of it in my old neighborhood about 10 years ago. It had a bad rollover crash somewhere along the line, and just the body shell was sitting there.

kscuda
03-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Here are a few I took back then. The first one is Keith Brown's all FIBERGLASS Comet
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN001.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN001.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN002.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN002.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN003jpg.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN003jpg.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN004.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN004.jpg)

74Bob
03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Late 60's cruising Lake St.

I would always enjoy seeing what type of muscle car would be prominently displayed and lit up in the front showroom window of Grossman Chev, just past the Avalon heading west on the right, Anderson Dodge, the next block on the left (the memory of some of the muscle cars displayed in the window of Anderson Dodge still gives me shivers) and then Pentel? Pontiac, just past Chicago on the right. I especially remember a white with blue stripes '69 Trans Am sitting in the window there. In the 1950's Pentel (I don't remember if that is the correct name) Pontiac was located further east on Lake St, 42nd and Lake I think. Jay Kline? Chevrolet down on west Lake. Where was the Ford dealer?

74Bob

titus
03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Here are a few I took back then. The first one is Keith Brown's all FIBERGLASS Comet
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN001.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN001.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN002.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN002.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN003jpg.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN003jpg.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN004.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN004.jpg)

3rd one down (camaro), was and still is owned by my dads friend Dave Borell, it has been redone since then but is basically the same, the hood scoop was resused but just sectioned so it wasnt so tall, and the car is tubbed now, but he still owns it and its very nice.

If i remember correctly the car had been a drag car when it was new and was rolled at one time then fixed.

JEFF

BJR
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM

I would always enjoy seeing what type of muscle car would be prominently displayed and lit up in the front showroom window of Grossman Chev, just past the Avalon heading west on the right, Anderson Dodge, the next block on the left (the memory of some of the muscle cars displayed in the window of Anderson Dodge still gives me shivers) and then Pentel? Pontiac, just past Chicago on the right. I especially remember a white with blue stripes '69 Trans Am sitting in the window there. In the 1950's Pentel (I don't remember if that is the correct name) Pontiac was located further east on Lake St, 42nd and Lake I think. Jay Kline? Chevrolet down on west Lake. Where was the Ford dealer?

74Bob
Don't forget Randolf Light Studebaker about 2 blocks west of Blaisdale on the south side of Lake St.. Wasn't the Ford dealer Woodhead Ford I don't remember where it was located though. Hull Dobbs Ford was on 26th and Hennepin south 4 blocks north of Lake St.

40 & 61 Fords
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Is this the car that was known as "Hailey's Comet"? If I remember right it had a big shooting star painted on the side and said "Hailey's Comet" on the back.

55FORDWGN
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
3rd one down (camaro), was and still is owned by my dads friend Dave Borell, it has been redone since then but is basically the same, the hood scoop was resused but just sectioned so it wasnt so tall, and the car is tubbed now, but he still owns it and its very nice.

If i remember correctly the car had been a drag car when it was new and was rolled at one time then fixed.

JEFF
I remember that Camaro from lately and back in the days of Lake Street
nice car then, nice car now.

seesko
03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
hearing all these stories makes me wish I was around "the cities" back in the 50's and 60's... nowadays, at least in my town I pretty much have got the custom/hot rod that gets out in public on the weekdays. its pretty sad. :( it sure is funny to see peoples reactions when i pull up to the grocery store in my 59 pontiac, they act like i am from another planet or something. its fun to see the little kids get all excited though, even though their moms are ducking for cover :)

Buffalo's a nice town. :) My family and I lived out there at my parents Cabin on Lake Pulasky while our house was being redone in Plymouth.
It was from Jan 2004 to about May. I drove my '40 Merc around town a lot that winter and commuted to work and the kids school in Plymouth. 25 miles one way. Not a terrible drive.
It was a pretty mild winter for Minnesota.
It's fun to get a reaction from people. I think that's part of the reason we drive these "old" cars.:p

seesko
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I had heard of some chick that had a really fast car. It might have been a Road Runner with a hemi in it. On the back of the car it supposedly said "If you can beat it you can eat it". :eek: Is that just a myth or is there any truth to the story?:confused:

partsdawg
03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Yup

40 & 61 Fords
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I had heard of some chick that had a really fast car. It might have been a Road Runner with a hemi in it. On the back of the car it supposedly said "If you can beat it you can eat it". :eek: Is that just a myth or is there any truth to the story?:confused:
It's true!!!! She drove a Challenger!! My Dad is having an engine built by Gary Headen (Magnum Superchargers) and we got talking about the "old days". She came up in the conversation and he said he actually used to date her! I can't remember what he said her name is, but he still see's her from time to time.

seesko
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
It's true!!!! She drove a Challenger!! My Dad is having an engine built by Gary Headen (Magnum Superchargers) and we got talking about the "old days". She came up in the conversation and he said he actually used to date her! I can't remember what he said her name is, but he still see's her from time to time.

LOL!! That's pretty amazing. :eek: I heard the story when I worked at a Texeco station in Richfield in the late 70's. The owner's son had a really pristine orange Challenger and I think that's what prompted the story. Did she cruise Lake? I think I heard of at least one guy that beat her and she was true to her word. Good to know that it's true. :)

Newbomb Turk
03-12-2009, 04:50 PM
If your referring to the 63 Dodge Panel wagon, the was Push Button Bill. Had a 540 BBC on 2 stages of NOS. I spent 1 unforgettable summer riding shotgun in that thing. He actually had 2. 1 race truck and 1 he towed it with. The 540 1 was his tow rig. Pump gas, low compression and lotsa NOS. The 1 with the cage that was barrel rolled at the track never got rebuilt. I remember him saying after the accident if he woulda known how rough the roll over was gonna be he woulda padded the floor and the steering wheel. I remember he pinned it (the tow rig) in front of Wendys and it hooked so hard when the front came up we drug the tow chain hooks in the pavement. :D That truck was insane.

Anybody remember the "Power Wagon" from the central/wards days? That thing had a badass hemi in it if I remember. I never saw it run, but everybody knew it was nasty. I heard that he did run it on University one of the last nights Wards was the hot place, and racked up a book of tickets. I saw what was left of it in my old neighborhood about 10 years ago. It had a bad rollover crash somewhere along the line, and just the body shell was sitting there.

4dFord/SC
03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

74Bob

In the early 50's, the Ford dealer was Boyer-Gillfillan. Don't recall exactly where they were located, but I think it was further downtown--maybe on Hennepin.

40 & 61 Fords
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
If your referring to the 63 Dodge Panel wagon, the was Push Button Bill. Had a 540 BBC on 2 stages of NOS. I spent 1 unforgettable summer riding shotgun in that thing. He actually had 2. 1 race truck and 1 he towed it with. The 540 1 was his tow rig. Pump gas, low compression and lotsa NOS. The 1 with the cage that was barrel rolled at the track never got rebuilt. I remember him saying after the accident if he woulda known how rough the roll over was gonna be he woulda padded the floor and the steering wheel. I remember he pinned it (the tow rig) in front of Wendys and it hooked so hard when the front came up we drug the tow chain hooks in the pavement. :D That truck was insane.
Yep! That's the one! I didn't realize there were 2. I did see the second one at his house after the wreck, and thought he may be using that one to bring the other back to life. I remember seeing it on the side of the street when we'd go down on Central. Most of the guy's I hung with then had Novas and Camaros that were pretty fast street cars for High school kids. I ran a pretty hot 66 Mustang with a smallblock ford/stick. we all knew not to mess with the "power wagon" though. We even made a few trips down to "Red Rock Road" to watch the big dogs.

Newbomb Turk
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I get the feeling we've met. :cool: I used to frequent Red Rock every weekend for a few years. Never had anything fast, just watched and ran when the cops showed. :D

Yep! That's the one! I didn't realize there were 2. I did see the second one at his house after the wreck, and thought he may be using that one to bring the other back to life. I remember seeing it on the side of the street when we'd go down on Central. Most of the guy's I hung with then had Novas and Camaros that were pretty fast street cars for High school kids. I ran a pretty hot 66 Mustang with a smallblock ford/stick. we all knew not to mess with the "power wagon" though. We even made a few trips down to "Red Rock Road" to watch the big dogs.

GonzoMN
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Heard the rumor, but never saw the car.

shop teacher
03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I remember the girl had a 70's blue vette on the loop in St. Paul

buflochp
03-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Can't tell ya anything about these, may be someone knows more.

GonzoMN
03-13-2009, 05:49 AM
buflochp,

I can't ID the locations, but great pictures.

BJR
03-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Heard the rumor, but never saw the car.

I saw a late 60's 427 Vett with a girl driving on Lake Street around 1969 or 70 with the "If you can beat me you can eat me" bumper sticker. I saw her race from a few stoplights and never get beat. There was a girl that had some sort of Chrysler product hemi car that hug around Isle Shell on 25th and Hennepin south, in the late 60's. I watched her remove and replace the clutch in it one Saturday in the parking lot out side the station.

4dFord/SC
03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I saw a late 60's 427 Vett with a girl driving on Lake Street around 1969 or 70 with the "If you can beat me you can eat me" bumper sticker. I saw her race from a few stoplights and never get beat. There was a girl that had some sort of Chrysler product hemi car that hug around Isle Shell on 25th and Hennepin south, in the late 60's. I watched her remove and replace the clutch in it one Saturday in the parking lot out side the station.

She must have been from Lake Woebegon, "Where the women are strong, and the men are good looking."

Newbomb Turk
03-13-2009, 02:16 PM
What is that beautiful blue fastback?

Can't tell ya anything about these, may be someone knows more.

jjrodder
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I think the blue fastback is a '41 Buick. I remember seeing that car or one just like it in NorEast Mpls in the 60's. I think either Bill Gefre or his buddy "Peanuts" owned it.

Newbomb Turk
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
That thing has some killer lines.

I think the blue fastback is a '41 Buick. I remember seeing that car or one just like it in NorEast Mpls in the 60's. I think either Bill Gefre or his buddy "Peanuts" owned it.

buflochp
03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
A buddy of mine was helping some friends move, and found an old photo album in the attic. Forty years of 110 degrees in the summer has an effect on pictures. I have been trying to scan the ones that I can get off the plastic pages.

Here's a couple more.

74Bob
03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I saw a late 60's 427 Vett with a girl driving on Lake Street around 1969 or 70 with the "If you can beat me you can eat me" bumper sticker.

That's the story I remember.

Summer of '69

One of my good friends met a girl while cruising on Lake St. She was from St. Louis Park, very nice, very pretty. She also had a brand new '69 Dart 340 Swinger 4 speed 3.91 rear. Orange, black interior. That was a nice car. They took her car to Minnesota Dragway one weekend, he trophied with the car, which was a testimonial to the car, and also his knack for driving it. The car was turning mid to low 14's. Her Dad found out about the dragstrip outing and put an immediate stop to that.

I wish I had been thoughtful enough to take photos.

Another friend had a '68 Dart GTS 383 4 speed. That car would hold it's own on Lake St.

Most of the acceleration contests on Lake St were pretty short, as I remember, across the intersection and maybe a half of a block if you really stuck it out. I did see much more intense ones, but not too often.

Just more random memories from Lake St. I've got lot's of stories.

74Bob

55FORDWGN
03-13-2009, 05:43 PM
My kid hangs out with Bill Gefre's grandson, they go to Porky's fairly often.

Newbomb Turk
03-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Anyone know if the car still exists?

My kid hangs out with Bill Gefre's grandson, they go to Porky's fairly often.

stuart in mn
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM

Here's a picture of that lot, but it must have been before your dad owned it - this is from 1946 when it was Bettig Motor Sales.

bobw
03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh179/rwstillwater/6-4.jpg
Peanuts & Gefre's Crosley. Minnesota Dragways about 1962.

Newbomb Turk
03-14-2009, 08:22 AM
OK, let's change direction for this post. PLEASE post any pics you guys have from back in the day. Not just Lake Street, but any stuff you have from drags to cruising.

GonzoMN
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
OK, let's change direction for this post. PLEASE post any pics you guys have from back in the day. Not just Lake Street, but any stuff you have from drags to cruising.

Let's keep it from the Twin Cities.

Newbomb Turk
03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Let's keep it from the Twin Cities.

Yah, that's what i meant. Shoulda had my coffee 1st. :D

55FORDWGN
03-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the direction changed already, we have been talking about Wards, Red Rock Rd., "Private Beach", The Sun Drive-in, my junior high school, Mn. Dragways etc etc etc. Keep it going Twin Cities only.

GonzoMN
03-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Buflochp,

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/scregan/Red56Chev.jpg

Almost had a heart attack when I saw this picture. Back in about 1969 when I was in High School, I bought this car. At the time it was back in primer (over the red), & the hood was missing. At the time no one wanted customs. I drove it for a while & then had an engine fire & sold the car dirt cheap. Last I heard it was in southern Minnesota. The car started life as a hard top & was converted to a convert. Hat "CHOP CHOP" written on the glove box. Also had 57 Chrysler taillights as I remember.
Wow, does that bring back memories.

40 & 61 Fords
03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
The story I've heard on this car is, Marlyn Englert is the guy who originally had this car built back when it was brand new. Norm Baltes bought it/restored it in the early 70's. Norm owned it until the mid 2000's then sold it back to Marlyn. I believe Norm was asked to sell the car several times, but had said he would only sell it to Marlyn. Marlyn has since completely restored the car, painting it candy apple red, and putting a different grill in it. It was shown in the GSTA show recently as it is now..

Eracer
03-14-2009, 11:05 PM
More Mpls area drag cars....Any more from Minnesota Dragways, Northstar or Amber Green?

turbostude
03-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Lived behind the grain elevators near Pork's west lake and graduated from West in 71'. Me and my buddies were up and down that street plenty, sometimes in my 53' Olds hardtop. Remember Pirkle Dodge, Grossman Chev, Woodcraft raceway's, the Buzza building? Now a member of the Lakestreet Surf and Drag Assn. Got First thursdays started at Dulono's. (Dictator for Life.....)
Check out KFAI on friday nights...radio rumpus room.
Streaming.

kscuda
03-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Here a few that could be seen on lake street back in the days
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0001.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0001.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0002.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0002.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0003.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0003.jpg)

kscuda
03-15-2009, 10:24 AM
A few more that ran on lake street a few times. The Bird is a bit new for HAMB but its Dennis Loeffler's from my home town of Winona, Mn and yes he did run lake street a few times
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0004.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0004.jpg)

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0006.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0006.jpg)
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0007.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0007.jpg)

buflochp
03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I wish I could make these better, ther are some great cars here.

JohnnyFast
03-15-2009, 04:27 PM

The yellow '40 Chevy coupe in your last photo belonged to Dick "Thor" Thorstenson from Duluth. Channeled and powered by a 394 Olds. Here's a shot of it posed with my old Lyndwood dragster.

It has survived. Still cruising the streets up here....now in flat black.

partsdawg
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Lot of old MSMA members pics in the mix.

THE SPEED ADDICT
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Not the good ole' days, but more recent!

Porky's is still alive and well!

ELpolacko
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM

Are these scans of pictures you have?

I am trying to research the history of a car I have. 40&61 Fords tipped me off on this post. He believes as well as myself and others that I may have Dave Babblers 36 Ford 3W and that may be a picture of it.

If you have the actual picture, could I talk you into taking that somewhere for a high quality copy?

JohnnyFast
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Here's Thor's '40 Chevy as it looks today.

63CadGuy
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
The story I've heard on this car is, Marlyn Englert is the guy who originally had this car built back when it was brand new. Norm Baltes bought it/restored it in the early 70's. Norm owned it until the mid 2000's then sold it back to Marlyn. I believe Norm was asked to sell the car several times, but had said he would only sell it to Marlyn. Marlyn has since completely restored the car, painting it candy apple red, and putting a different grill in it. It was shown in the GSTA show recently as it is now..

Is this the car by chance?

http://www.gstarod-custom.com/carshow/53thPoster2.jpg

63CadGuy
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I just helped the GSTA redesign their website, still not done but there is some cool history about Mpls. hot rodding and drag racing back in the 50's and 60's. Here is a link to the history page, again it's not done, but still a good read:

http://www.gstarod-custom.com/gstahistory.htm

40 & 61 Fords
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Is this the car by chance?

http://www.gstarod-custom.com/carshow/53thPoster2.jpg

It sure is!

paperdog
03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
more old home reminders

the chevette with the blower(fake) was sitting the shed next to what is now my 50 chevv sedan delivery when i first saw it and decided to buy it ..do not remember the owners name this was in Elk River 1989
its a small small (Minnesota) WORLD

Newbomb Turk
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't want to let this thread die. Judging from the stories i've heard in person there has to be more than this.

tcat55371
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Well it was late 70's for me but I used to cruise Lake Street alot. Drove a yellow 70 Road Runner and used to spend my weekends at North Star dragways.

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
In the early 50's, the Ford dealer was Boyer-Gillfillan. Don't recall exactly where they were located, but I think it was further downtown--maybe on Hennepin. There was a Ford dealer on Lake St, South side of Lake St. between Portland & I-35 - it was named after the owner but I can't remember the name. + there was a Ford dealer many years ago on Hennepin somewhere near where MAS use to be. Also on Lake St. West of I-35 a few blocks; North side of the street was an old brick building where you could still read fainted paint of a Mopar dealer & on South side of street was a big white building with yellow trim that was A Studeabaker dealer. Also - I don't know if they are still there or not - but - what about Downtown Chevytown??? They use to sponser late night tv movies.

55FORDWGN
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Who could ever forget Smith Auto at Lyndale and Lake. I thought they had really cool window decals, I have a couple kind of beat up ones in my garage on the electrical service box.

JohnnyFast
04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I remember Ted Smith Auto.....and my pal Johnny Cottrell (sp?) who worked there. Where are those characters today ? :)

40 & 61 Fords
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Everybody must remember the yellow T-bucket kit that sat in the window at the MAS on Hennepin...with the 427 SOHC stuck in it. I loved going to that place as a kid with my dad.

PG
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I've been thinking bout old cars in this area for awhile, but never saw anyone post up. Glad to see the pictures. All I have heard is from what my pops used to tell me. One of these days I'll get some of the old pictures of him an his 36 camping with his buddies.

stuart in mn
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
There was a Ford dealer on Lake St, South side of Lake St. between Portland & I-35 - it was named after the owner but I can't remember the name. + there was a Ford dealer many years ago on Hennepin somewhere near where MAS use to be. Also on Lake St. West of I-35 a few blocks; North side of the street was an old brick building where you could still read fainted paint of a Mopar dealer & on South side of street was a big white building with yellow trim that was A Studeabaker dealer. Also - I don't know if they are still there or not - but - what about Downtown Chevytown??? They use to sponser late night tv movies.

The Ford dealer on Hennepin and 26th was Hull-Dobbs, it was about a block south of where MAS used to be. There's a Chipotle restaurant on that site now. I don't know the name of the Ford dealer between Portland and I-35, but the building is still there. It was a used furniture store for many years, and now is a Mexican mall of some sort with a bunch of small shops inside. The places on Lake St. west of I-35: the Mopar dealer building on the north side of the street is long gone, replaced by a Walgreen's drug store. The building for the Studebaker dealer is still there on the south side of the street, but it's a Mexican grocery store. There is a small auto repair shop working out of the back side of the building. I live about four blocks north of there.

There aren't any dealerships left in downtown Minneapolis at all. The last one was Hansord; they used to be a Pontiac dealer but in recent years sold Jaguars and Land Rovers. They finally moved out to the suburbs several years ago.

Here's a picture of Hull-Dobbs Ford from 1951, they were kitty corner from Jefferson school (the school is still there although it's now an elementary instead of a junior high.)

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
04-09-2009, 04:37 AM
The Ford dealer on Hennepin and 26th was Hull-Dobbs, it was about a block south of where MAS used to be. There's a Chipotle restaurant on that site now. I don't know the name of the Ford dealer between Portland and I-35, but the building is still there. It was a used furniture store for many years, and now is a Mexican mall of some sort with a bunch of small shops inside. The places on Lake St. west of I-35: the Mopar dealer building on the north side of the street is long gone, replaced by a Walgreen's drug store. The building for the Studebaker dealer is still there on the south side of the street, but it's a Mexican grocery store. There is a small auto repair shop working out of the back side of the building. I live about four blocks north of there.

There aren't any dealerships left in downtown Minneapolis at all. The last one was Hansord; they used to be a Pontiac dealer but in recent years sold Jaguars and Land Rovers. They finally moved out to the suburbs several years ago.

Here's a picture of Hull-Dobbs Ford from 1951, they were kitty corner from Jefferson school (the school is still there although it's now an elementary instead of a junior high.):DTHANK YOU for the update. It has been over 30 years since I have cruised Lake St. - I have been racking my brain on that Ford dealer on Lake St. Was it Ed Nelson or something similar to that?

BJR
04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
The Studebaker dealer was Randolph Light on Lake Street a few blocks west of Blaisdalle Ave. I grew up about 3 blocks from Hull Dobbs Ford. I remember climbing over the fence behind the shop and going through the body shop dumpster. I grabbed a deep dish steering wheel from a 59 Olds that had a crack in it and put it on my sting ray bicycle. I even hooked up the horn buttons on the wheel to work my bike horn.

moparmaddnes
04-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Man I wish I could have been around at that time. My dad is from Somerset Wi and used to cruise porkey's on Univ. and I remember him saying something about a bridge in St. Paul. He had a 69' red Roadrunner. I use to cruise Univ. in the mid 90's with an orange 71' cuda. After a Back to the 50's day with my dad we went and got my cuda and went to porkies and did some cruising. I still remember the big smile and look on his face that night. That was a priceless moment for me. I have some pictures of cars at the drag strips don't know which ones in MN. When I get some parts for my comuter to use my scaner I will put them on here for you guys. Are there any places that still have cruises. I am down by Owatonna and would love to go to some this summer and meet some of you guys.
Matt

straightaxle65
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
In the mid/late 70s when I would go to see my sister up in Ely we would drive by a dragstrip that was on the west side of I-35 on the north side of town. I don't think it was open anymore at the time but there was the strip and a timing tower still there. Was that Northstar or Minnesota Dragway?

55FORDWGN
04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
In the mid/late 70s when I would go to see my sister up in Ely we would drive by a dragstrip that was on the west side of I-35 on the north side of town. I don't think it was open anymore at the time but there was the strip and a timing tower still there. Was that Northstar or Minnesota Dragway?
I believe that would have been Twin City Dragstrip. Never went there I was a Minnesota Dragways guy.

JohnnyFast
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Twin City and North Starr were one and the same. Minnesota Dragways was located in Coon Rapids on "hwy. 242....4 miles east of Anoka". (I got that line from their old radio ads. :))

seesko
04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I remember seeing the first black and gold Trans Am at The Downtown Poncho dealer. 1976 maybe. Pre Smokey and the Bandit. Thought it was about the coolest thing ever...at the time. My step dad bought oil burning Jag XJ6 there too. I love all the old drag and car show pics.
I thought that 427 SOHC Bucket T at MAS looked like a monster. That would have been a wild ride. They had a 67 Fairlane wagon that had a SOHC in it too that they drag raced. Might have been the same engine.

55FORDWGN
04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I remember seeing the first black and gold Trans Am at The Downtown Poncho dealer. 1976 maybe. Pre Smokey and the Bandit. Thought it was about the coolest thing ever...at the time. My step dad bought oil burning Jag XJ6 there too. I love all the old drag and car show pics.
I thought that 427 SOHC Bucket T at MAS looked like a monster. That would have been a wild ride. They had a 67 Fairlane wagon that had a SOHC in it too that they drag raced. Might have been the same engine.
See one of the above posts, it wasn't M.A.S. 67 Fairlane Wagon. Pictured some where above is the car, it was Dick Charbineau's (I butchered that)
national record holder and I don't believe it had a SOHC motor.

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Who could ever forget Smith Auto at Lyndale and Lake. I thought they had really cool window decals, I have a couple kind of beat up ones in my garage on the electrical service box.:DI wonder if there are still any of theose number 1 Smith Auto t-shirts still floating around....

seesko
04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
See one of the above posts, it wasn't M.A.S. 67 Fairlane Wagon. Pictured some where above is the car, it was Dick Charbineau's (I butchered that)

That could have been the car I'm thinking of. It seemed like I had a MAS parts catalog from around the mid 70's and there was a picture of that car. I was under the impression that the wagon was MAS's owners racecar. It's been a while ago. :confused:

SUNROOFCORD
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Does anyone remember the Black sign painter who drove a red and black '64 Ford 2 Door Sedan with J.C. Whitney accessories???? I saw this car on Lake Street alot. Would love to find a picture of it.

MSRA #85

Rick S
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
I was lucky enough to cruise Lake Street in the late sixties early seventies. I remember some of the cars were painted underneath and they had colored lights up in the fender wells. Thought that was pretty cool at the time. Seems like every guy at Washburn High School had a cool car and cruised Lake Street. My buddy's brother had a '60 Chevy ex-gasser, brown, straight axle, tilt steel front end, slicks and "Jumping Jack Flash" painted on the doors. Wish I could find that car today. I remember going to Grossmans Chevrolet and looking at new 1971 Nova SS's and Camaros, then going across the street to Anderson Dodge (?) and checking out a Dart 340 and Challenger...dreaming someday I could afford to buy one. So lots of bad ass cars and some cool street racing over by the airport post road. Used to stop at Smith Auto and shoot the shit with Ted. I miss Clark's and Froggies subs. In '73 I finally got a used '71 340 Duster, 4 speed 17,000 mile car for a whopping $1750.00 My payments were $71.00 a month. Wish I had that car today. And yes, I do remember the Ford with everything JC Whitney sold stuck on it. I seem to also remember some black diamond padded stuff on the outsides. Ahhh, the good old days.

ZZ-IRON
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Yup

that all you got to say Bob :D

Some cool car lot photo's here, was Marc Allen's lot on Park

a couple lots around Grossman Chevy, bought a Dodge coupe from Anderson Dodge $50 with a rod knock

madjack
04-21-2009, 03:37 AM
The fast guys at the drags all had Headers by Ed decals on them. I remember the Beaver patrol, the Super Coon, and the Incrediable Offspring. How about the guys from the Winstad Body Shop?

greaser57
04-21-2009, 06:59 AM
I remember seeing a row of Allstate cars (Henry J clone) at Sears on Lake Street in 1952. You could actually buy the Allstate cars through the Sears catalog......Rich

dabirdguy
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
I remember cruising Lake St. in 1967. We'd come in from Wayzata. I remmeber one night we (three of us) were cruisin in my buddy's Dad's Buick convertible and generally being smartasses as high school kids tend to be. His big block did move that sled! We blew away a guy in a rough looking 57 Chevy and I guess we pissed him off. He started waving a pistol at us. He chased us for about half a mile before we lost him on a couple of turns. I guess he figured we wern't worth the effort.

Crazy times!

BJR
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Does anyone remember the Black sign painter who drove a red and black '64 Ford 2 Door Sedan with J.C. Whitney accessories???? I saw this car on Lake Street alot. Would love to find a picture of it.

MSRA #85

Was that the guy that had the GIANT after market green tinted wind wings, and hubcaps screwed to the trunk lid, with 4 curb feelers, 4 mud flaps, multiple antenna's, windshield visor, spot lights, super fly headlights, lake pipes, outlandish hood ornament, etc? The car made you laugh when you saw it, it was soooo over the top. If anyone has a picture please post it, I will never forget that car. I remember it as being a 4 door though. Brian

MSRA 6027

brian thomas
04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I used to stop light race by the Sun on Central ,,, good times ,,, I bet I blew 4 or 5 t10's down there over the course of 3 years .
Brian

brian thomas
04-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I remember Ted Smith Auto.....and my pal Johnny Cottrell (sp?) who worked there. Where are those characters today ? :)

I know John cotrell ( sp) he just took a car to the salt flats a year or 2 ago and did not follow the rules very close and kinda ticked them off but he did get to run her up to speed . It is amazing how much salt gets into a car there .
Brian

JohnnyFast
04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I know John cotrell ( sp) he just took a car to the salt flats a year or 2 ago and did not follow the rules very close and kinda ticked them off but he did get to run her up to speed . It is amazing how much salt gets into a car there .
Brian

Yeah.....I read about that. Evidently he made an old NASCAR Busch car street legal, took it to Bonneville and went 198 mph with it. :)

youngster
04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
oh man where do i start!!! unni, the loop, the three bears, porky's, white castle, harkin's pool hall, yada, yada yada!!!!! first trip to st. paul was in my friends '55merc monclair, red & white merc interior, molded everything with a can of bondo and painted it hondurs maroon with his mom's kirby. 312/3spd, long ass stick on the foxcraft conversion with a grainbelt beer tapper handle on it. couldn't use the rear veiw mirror 'cause it hit the tap handle....lol

built my first '55 cheby to run lights on unni. bright yellow 2dr. got beat bad one night by a '64 pontiac, when back to stillwater and got dad's '59, 348 kingswood went back and wooped up on that indian.

remember ted smith selling part out of his '56 chevy sedan deliv at minnesota dragways? anyone a member of gsta remember john foster shouting at the meetings, "i catch anyone from gsta running at twin cities and they will be banned for life from minnesota dragways!"

if ya want more, just say so ... i got a million of 'em!!

Ron

greaser57
04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
oh man where do i start!!! unni, the loop, the three bears, porky's, white castle, harkin's pool hall, yada, yada yada!!!!! first trip to st. paul was in my friends '55merc monclair, red & white merc interior, molded everything with a can of bondo and painted it hondurs maroon with his mom's kirby. 312/3spd, long ass stick on the foxcraft conversion with a grainbelt beer tapper handle on it. couldn't use the rear veiw mirror 'cause it hit the tap handle....lol

built my first '55 cheby to run lights on unni. bright yellow 2dr. got beat bad one night by a '64 pontiac, when back to stillwater and got dad's '59, 348 kingswood went back and wooped up on that indian.

remember ted smith selling part out of his '56 chevy sedan deliv at minnesota dragways? anyone a member of gsta remember john foster shouting at the meetings, "i catch anyone from gsta running at twin cities and they will be banned for life from minnesota dragways!"

if ya want more, just say so ... i got a million of 'em!!

Ron
Oh yeah! I remember John Frostplug threatening anyone caught running at Twin City that belonged to a GSTA club would be severely reprimanded. I never belonged to a GSTA club so I ran cars at Twin City dragstrip starting in 1956. To this day I still hold that against GSTA for that idiotic ruling......Rich

youngster
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Always wondered how he was going to catch me if he wasn't there? I used to go during the week to "tune" the '55 and run at Minnesota on Sunday. Always tried to grab 2nd gear in the "dip" in front of the tower. I was there the day Lutz hit it in the Anglia. Not a pretty sight. That was in '64 or '65 wasn't it?

Ron

James Maxwell
08-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Great thread! I remember Porky's West, and a Putt-Putt mini-golf behind it, lots of used car lots on Lake Street and #1 Smith Auto being a two different locations, the first on Lake street, the second a few steps off of Lake Street.

The "If you can beat me..." deal, I do call bullshit on that one however. Every city had that story, it was either a Nova, a Corvette, a Hemi Road Runner, a Camaro or fill in the blank, depending on where you grew up. And the normal version is her rich father bought her the car. Yeah right, it was painted on the back, pure folklore, the "rich father" would never have allowed it, period.

Fun thread, there was a Purple "Street Pro" Duster with 440/6 and fiberglass bumpers, six-pack scoop hood, fiberglass front fenders, I think it was originally from Michigan and owned by Mopar's Tom Hoover, it cruised the Burger King in Hopkins.

georgedombeck
09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I graduated in 79 from wayzata, we used to cruise central, hopkins, brooklyn blvd. etc. Lots of v8 vegas and the like. Any one remember the "Car Craft" cruise at brooklyn Blvd.? Car Craft was doing a cruising story, they would pick different citys and show up on a friday or saturday night and check out the action. There were so many cars showing up. Drag cars on trailers were coming in. It was crazy. Then they started doing burnouts and racing on the main blvd. Cops started showing up , in the end they called out the riot police. We sat about 4 blocks away in the Burger King parking lot and watched it all happen. It made the news that night. When it was all over it was a mess, from all the people that were there. Fun to watch, glad we didnt get arested. Did alot of cruising in my buddies v8 vega, a 327 , 4speed car with a crazy sounding "moon" cam. Everytime he raced it, the doors wouldnt shut right because of all the body twisting. g

James Maxwell
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I graduated in 79 from wayzata, we used to cruise central, hopkins, brooklyn blvd. etc. Lots of v8 vegas and the like. Any one remember the "Car Craft" cruise at brooklyn Blvd.? Car Craft was doing a cruising story, they would pick different citys and show up on a friday or saturday night and check out the action. There were so many cars showing up. Drag cars on trailers were coming in. It was crazy. Then they started doing burnouts and racing on the main blvd. Cops started showing up , in the end they called out the riot police. We sat about 4 blocks away in the Burger King parking lot and watched it all happen. It made the news that night. When it was all over it was a mess, from all the people that were there. Fun to watch, glad we didnt get arested. Did alot of cruising in my buddies v8 vega, a 327 , 4speed car with a crazy sounding "moon" cam. Everytime he raced it, the doors wouldnt shut right because of all the body twisting. g

And who can forget "Hart's Cafe" and Lou Fegers.

georgedombeck
09-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I started working for Lou when I was 15. Changing tires, selling at the tracks. I lived 2 blocks up the hill from Harts. Right across from Widsten school. We had the Ice business at the house. Have lots of memories of Lou Fegers and the store. The attic was piled high with tons of van stuff which was on the way out in 78-79. Tons of old speed equipment was all over the basement. Fun times.

RubberGears
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I started working for Lou when I was 15. Changing tires, selling at the tracks. I lived 2 blocks up the hill from Harts. Right across from Widsten school. We had the Ice business at the house. Have lots of memories of Lou Fegers and the store. The attic was piled high with tons of van stuff which was on the way out in 78-79. Tons of old speed equipment was all over the basement. Fun times.

I went to Widsten, two years older than you. It used to be the ultimate cool to sneak out at lunch to Lou's for STP stickers.
btw, Mr. Weeks is alive and well.

Eracer
09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Who could ever forget Smith Auto at Lyndale and Lake. I thought they had really cool window decals, I have a couple kind of beat up ones in my garage on the electrical service box.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/AlleyOop.jpg

Eracer
09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/MINNESOTADRAGWAYS.jpgTwin City and North Starr were one and the same. Minnesota Dragways was located in Coon Rapids on "hwy. 242....4 miles east of Anoka". (I got that line from their old radio ads. :))

Eracer
09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/BrookDale-1.jpgTwin City and North Starr were one and the same. Minnesota Dragways was located in Coon Rapids on "hwy. 242....4 miles east of Anoka". (I got that line from their old radio ads. :))

Eracer
09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/USAElimAug76Northstar.jpgI believe that would have been Twin City Dragstrip. Never went there I was a Minnesota Dragways guy.

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/a649cdf8.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/USAElimAug76Northstar.jpg

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:01 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/a670cd73.jpgSee one of the above posts, it wasn't M.A.S. 67 Fairlane Wagon. Pictured some where above is the car, it was Dick Charbineau's (I butchered that)

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/134edefa.jpgSee one of the above posts, it wasn't M.A.S. 67 Fairlane Wagon. Pictured some where above is the car, it was Dick Charbineau's (I butchered that)

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:04 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/RearVeiw-Wins.jpg

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
The fast guys at the drags all had Headers by Ed decals on them. I remember the Beaver patrol, the Super Coon, and the Incrediable Offspring. How about the guys from the Winstad Body Shop?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/a649cdf8.jpg

Eracer
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/daytune/DragnWagon.jpgThe fast guys at the drags all had Headers by Ed decals on them. I remember the Beaver patrol, the Super Coon, and the Incrediable Offspring. How about the guys from the Winstad Body Shop?

billsill45
10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
In the early 50's, the Ford dealer was Boyer-Gillfillan. Don't recall exactly where they were located, but I think it was further downtown--maybe on Hennepin.

Bill Boyer Ford was in the downtown area ... Hennepin and about 12th St. They closed up shop about 1980 or so.

billsill45
10-03-2009, 07:47 PM

Back in '68, that story was going around (girl/vette/sticker) but I never saw the car and girl, and I never met anyone who did. At that same time I also kept hearing about a '68 Charger R/T that cruised Lake St. that was actually was being used by the Minneapolis police as an unmarked car to catch street racers. Never saw that one either ... wrote both stories off as urban legends.

vintage tin
10-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Here a few that could be seen on lake street back in the days
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/MN0001.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll385/kscuda/lake%20street/?action=view&current=MN0001.jpg)

This car was for sale on Craigslist a few weeks back. The seller mentioned that it was customized and owned by his uncle. The car has not been kept up, condition appeared a little rough.

vintage tin
10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I remember cruising Lake St. in 1967. We'd come in from Wayzata. I remmeber one night we (three of us) were cruisin in my buddy's Dad's Buick convertible and generally being smartasses as high school kids tend to be. His big block did move that sled! We blew away a guy in a rough looking 57 Chevy and I guess we pissed him off. He started waving a pistol at us. He chased us for about half a mile before we lost him on a couple of turns. I guess he figured we wern't worth the effort.

Crazy times!

My Dad and Uncles were from the Wayzata area and used to go down to lake street probably around that same time. My Dad graduated from Wayzata in 1965. His ride back then was a 1963 Impala SS convertible 327, 4-speed. The 327 was ditched in favor of a 396 that was bought through Village Chev in Wayzata.

billsill45
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
There was a Ford dealer on Lake St, South side of Lake St. between Portland & I-35 - it was named after the owner but I can't remember the name. + there was a Ford dealer many years ago on Hennepin somewhere near where MAS use to be. Also on Lake St. West of I-35 a few blocks; North side of the street was an old brick building where you could still read fainted paint of a Mopar dealer & on South side of street was a big white building with yellow trim that was A Studeabaker dealer. Also - I don't know if they are still there or not - but - what about Downtown Chevytown??? They use to sponser late night tv movies.

In the '60's/early '70's Jay Kline Chevrolet on Lake St. was the place to go for performance Chevy's and they also moved a lot of new and used Corvettes out of inventory. I saw a new Yenko Camaro for the first time(1968) in their showroom. They usually had some interesting hi-po Chevelles and Camaros on the used car lot (for some reason a lot of them came out of Montana, according to the dealer stickers and license frames).

Also, Minor Ford on Central Ave. in Northeast Mpls. was a Shelby dealer around 1969-70. That was about the time the insurance industry dropped the hammer on muscle cars (your insurance payment would be higher than your car payment). I was working in downtown Minneapolis and living in Fridley at the time ... drove down Central every day past Minor. They had 3 or 4 new Shelby KR350/KR500's sitting in a fenced-in storage area in the back almost 2 years after production ended. Apparently no buyers because of the price and insurance. I have often wondered who was smart enough to buy them and stash them away. Minor Ford went out of business about 1973.

stuart in mn
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Also, Minor Ford on Central Ave. in Northeast Mpls. was a Shelby dealer around 1969-70. That was about the time the insurance industry dropped the hammer on muscle cars (your insurance payment would be higher than your car payment). I was working in downtown Minneapolis and living in Fridley at the time ... drove down Central every day past Minor. They had 3 or 4 new Shelby KR350/KR500's sitting in a fenced-in storage area in the back almost 2 years after production ended. Apparently no buyers because of the price and insurance. I have often wondered who was smart enough to buy them and stash them away. Minor Ford went out of business about 1973.

Minar Ford moved up to New Brighton at some point, to the corner of I-694 and Silver Lake Road. I believe they were still known as Minar up until just a few years ago, now they're just called New Brighton Ford.

sho1off
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
wasn't the ford dealship on lake street Woodhead ford

sho1off
10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Kr350?
king of the Road 500

ol gasser
10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
lol that story was also told in New Jersey,and chicago IL .I heard it in both places but it was a vette .This was in the 70s and a older friend heard it in the 60s.

TheMonkey
10-04-2009, 10:22 PM
wow... how timely for me that this thread popped back up today.

just today, 'Stuart in MN' gave me a ride in his very sweet '61 Pontiac (original MN 4sp tri-power car) in the Lake street area. great history here, and i was proud to sit shotgun in a car with true history. really nice to read tonight about what was going on here.

thx again Stuart - it was great inspiration to continue on my project. also, nice to see there is good hot rod history beyond So Cal (which was my dad, and he was in back seat today - he enjoyed the ride too).

billsill45
10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Kr350?

My mistake ... should have typed GT350 or KR500. My Mad Cow disease has been acting up.

turbostude
10-05-2009, 12:43 AM
And who can forget "Hart's Cafe" and Lou Fegers.
When I was a kid, we lived just across the railroad tracks from the west lake Porky's / putt-putt. I remember stories about how the Baldies and the Animals would show up to rumble.... Never saw one though...We'd climb up the outside of the grain elevators back by the tracks and sit on top. You could see down Lake, and pick out the Buzza building and the Sears tower.
My mom would warn me not to cross the streets, but she never said anything about walking the tracks, which paralleled Lake St. pretty much all the way to Hiawatha.....

In the summer, we lived in Spring Park, and I used to go over to Lou Feger's on my home-built mini-bike. I'd look at all the cool stuff, and vowed that some day I'd be back to buy parts for a real hot rod! I remember Lou's kid one time I was there, he seemed really bored with the whole thing. I told myself that I'd never be a mechanic because I didn't want to get bored with the thing I loved most....wound up going to med school because of that. Years later, after a medical conference, I found myself going thru Maple Plain, where Lou had moved his shop. I needed some stuff for my 53' Stude with the 509" Cad I was building, and finally I had an opportunity to buy something from Lou's shop. I came to the counter, and asked if Lou was still around and active. The guy at the counter said he was Lou's SON! I couldn't believe it, and told him the story from years ago. He said "you just musta caught me on a bad day. I love this sh_t!"
I told him it was his fault I went to med school!

turbostude
10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Turbostude, you musta also seen Foshay Tower?

You know, I probably could, but for some reason, I always looked for Woodcraft raceways instead at that point!.....

The Foshay has an interesting history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foshay_Tower

James Maxwell
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Any more Lake Street cruising stories? It was the hang-out for all of Mpls. and western 'burbs.

:)

hotrod32@usfamily.net
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, st paul, the loop,hell I would get into 2and and the light would of wabasha and 7th change at cedar most of the time we just went through a lot of short bursts on 9th and 10th sit down there all nite get morning energy at the castle ,sun morn head out to mn dragways for the day one day I busted all my motor mounts on my 67 ford and Roland Leong helped me get to the trophy dash and ya lets hear from the winstad boys great memorys all, slicks we din,t need no stinkin slicks just lower air pressure on those redlines ah my old Q stock ford make sure you stoped at the little station on 65 and 242 to refill those back tires........yup those were the days

Rusty52
12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I was born way too late, I have heard alot of stories and wish I could have been there.

Ain't that the truth! I'm right there with you! Porky's on University was pretty good when I was in high school, late 90's, but I've quit going down there because it's pretty much been taken over by the imports.

Would be cool if we could find a place to cruise around here like back then, but I think those days are gone for good. :(

Bull
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I am trying to locate my uncle's old hot rod. My uncle, Denny Bateman, grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had quite a few nice cars over the years. He still has his 34 Ford Tudor that was painted by Jon Kosmoski (HOK) with 30some coats of hand rubbed black lacquer long ago and his 63 Corvette that saw lots of street racer duty. I've been told he spent quite a bit of time at Twin City Dragways as well.

But the stories that stick with me are the ones he's told me about his 35 Ford pick-up called "Lil Ebony." I haven't seen pictures (don't even know if they exist even), but I was told that it had a hot 53 Merc flatty painted chrome yellow with 3/4 race cam, twin Strombergs on a Fenton manifold and Offenhauser heads. The truck was black with red & white candy striped tuck & roll interior and tonneau cover. It also had chromed torque tube exhaust running just under the bed rails. This is really all I know about the truck.

He sold Lil Ebony just before heading off to Vietnam, but pulled the engine and replaced it with a small block Chevy (I believe) before he let it go. I have the flatty and all the goodies sitting in my garage that he pulled before he sold the truck.

About 17 or so years ago my dad and I tracked down the truck. At that time it was owned by someone in Montana. We made an offer, but they didn't want to part with the truck. I've since lost track of Lil Ebony and would like to find her again -- even if the current owner isn't willing to sell. I'd like to see some pics and learn some more history. Anyone have any leads?

billsill45
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Bull;4677194]I am trying to locate my uncle's old hot rod. My uncle, Denny Bateman, grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had quite a few nice cars over the years. He still has his 34 Ford Tudor that was painted by Jon Kosmoski (HOK) with 30some coats of hand rubbed black lacquer long ago and his 63 Corvette that saw lots of street racer duty. I've been told he spent quite a bit of time at Twin City Dragways as well.

I remember a black '34 Tudor (blue/grey interior with chrome wire wheels as I recall) with a Kosmoski paint job that took best paint at either the GSTA or the St.Paul show back in the late 60's/early 70's ... same car? The car was memorable in an era of circus wagon paint jobs. The prep/paint was that good ... Jon and his crew could really produce quality results. :cool:

1956 F100
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
In the early 70's we would drive up from Waseca and hang out in front of HOK ,if I remember correctly it was next to drag Specialties. Hang out all nite and eat at the castle then go home great times. Gary

turbostude
12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Any more Lake Street cruising stories? It was the hang-out for all of Mpls. and western 'burbs.

:)
Some of us still frequent Lake Street on a very regular basis. A friend and I were nurturing the Twin Cities Norton Owner's club along in the 80's and decided to move it over to Dulono's on Lake and Lyndale.
On the first thursday of every month (inter included) you will now find Dulono's crowded with gearheads.....most to talk about non-Harley bikes, and almost all with interesting gear-headed hobbies. We've got lots of hot rodders in our bunch, including salt racers, old body men, engineers etc. More bike dweebs in the summer, more hard core gearheads in the winter.
Ask anyone for the "Dictator for Life", I'll introduce you!

James Maxwell
12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Some of us still frequent Lake Street on a very regular basis. A friend and I were nurturing the Twin Cities Norton Owner's club along in the 80's and decided to move it over to Dulono's on Lake and Lyndale.
On the first thursday of every month (inter included) you will now find Dulono's crowded with gearheads.....most to talk about non-Harley bikes, and almost all with interesting gear-headed hobbies. We've got lots of hot rodders in our bunch, including salt racers, old body men, engineers etc. More bike dweebs in the summer, more hard core gearheads in the winter.
Ask anyone for the "Dictator for Life", I'll introduce you!

Interesting, last time I was there it didn't look to be a cruising place like days of old, but things can always change. All them little used car lots, used to check out the inventory at those on a regular basis!

Bull
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I remember a black '34 Tudor (blue/grey interior with chrome wire wheels as I recall) with a Kosmoski paint job that took best paint at either the GSTA or the St.Paul show back in the late 60's/early 70's ... same car? The car was memorable in an era of circus wagon paint jobs. The prep/paint was that good ... Jon and his crew could really produce quality results. :cool:

Not the same car. My uncle's 34 has black tuck & roll and steel wheels with 50 Merc caps.

MNBlackjack
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Bull;4677194]I am trying to locate my uncle's old hot rod. My uncle, Denny Bateman, grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had quite a few nice cars over the years. He still has his 34 Ford Tudor that was painted by Jon Kosmoski (HOK) with 30some coats of hand rubbed black lacquer long ago and his 63 Corvette that saw lots of street racer duty. I've been told he spent quite a bit of time at Twin City Dragways as well.

I used to work (as a cook) at the Top Diner in the Camden area. Your Uncle was a frequent customer to the Diner. I heard many stories about the drag races and some about Vietnam. My girlfriend sold him a car which was, I believe, for his Daughter. When we dropped it off I got to see the '63 Vette.
That was a long time ago as I am forty years old now, and was 16-18 at the time I worked at the diner.
I miss Denny a lot. He is very wise and good man.
-Mike

DDlova
12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
This car was for sale on Craigslist a few weeks back. The seller mentioned that it was customized and owned by his uncle. The car has not been kept up, condition appeared a little rough.

this car, couln't get the pic to respost, was in a book "Car Culture". i wonder if the past owners knew anything about that?

the black and flamed '67 "Rat" scooped Camaro was also in the August '75 issue of Car Craft. cool stuff! i remember these cars from when i was a kid and i'm on the east coast:D

Dave

Bull
12-23-2009, 04:16 PM

I used to work (as a cook) at the Top Diner in the Camden area. Your Uncle was a frequent customer to the Diner. I heard many stories about the drag races and some about Vietnam. My girlfriend sold him a car which was, I believe, for his Daughter. When we dropped it off I got to see the '63 Vette.
That was a long time ago as I am forty years old now, and was 16-18 at the time I worked at the diner.
I miss Denny a lot. He is very wise and good man.
-Mike

Mike,

I never made it to the Top Diner with my uncle but remember him and my dad, Neil, talking about it a lot. I'm sure Denny would remember you as he never seems to forget a name or face. Send me a PM here sometime and I'd be happy to give you his phone number. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you!

Adam

57 300
01-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I heard a couple of days back that Richard Charbonneau will be inducted into the NHRA division 5 Hall of fame on the 16th of January.Had a chance to talk with him last summer during Back to the 50's.Laughed at the story about his Mopar days of neutrel dropping the TorqueFlight and having a not so SFI rated quilt over the trany hump for protection.His use of "Ballast" in the wagon was comical too.Taking the back road to the scale off track was not a good idea.LOL.Lake Street is so different today.I'm glad I got to see what I did ,when I did.

Jalopy Jim
01-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I thought I would ask, Does any bidy remember my 60 Studebaker 4 door, Pontiac royal blue body, red frame, steel wheels, and a gasser stance cruising mostly in the northern suburbs in 1965- 1966

jim h

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Ask anyone for the "Dictator for Life", I'll introduce you!:D I remember that intersection; Lyn-Lake Cafe, 10,000 Auto Parts....(oh, that was in the 70's)

turbostude
01-02-2010, 03:54 PM
:D I remember that intersection; Lyn-Lake Cafe, 10,000 Auto Parts....(oh, that was in the 70's)
Smith Auto was right there too as late as the mid 70's.....Drag Specialties was right around the corner on Lyndale....

James Maxwell
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Lake Street was legendary, lots of street action in Mpls area during the '60s and '70s. Ted Smith sold a lot of parts as did Gary Kohn and Lou Feger! Too bad the area (rust) caused so much havoc with all those old muscle cars. Remember, rust never sleeps.

:D

billsill45
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Smith Auto was right there too as late as the mid 70's.....Drag Specialties was right around the corner on Lyndale....

Is Ted Smith still around the Twin Cities? When I left Minneapolis in '96, he had sold his speed equipment business and was running a drag strip in Grove City, MN. Apparently Smith Auto is no longer in business or has changed hands again and is operating under a different name. An internet search came up with nothing. :confused:

57 300
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Smith Auto = T&T Specialties.Their in the book.Northern Burb's.On a side note....MAS is now out of business.I like many folk,worked at the Hennipin ave. store back in the 70's.

Bull
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
I am trying to locate my uncle's old hot rod. My uncle, Denny Bateman, grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had quite a few nice cars over the years. He still has his 34 Ford Tudor that was painted by Jon Kosmoski (HOK) with 30some coats of hand rubbed black lacquer long ago and his 63 Corvette that saw lots of street racer duty. I've been told he spent quite a bit of time at Twin City Dragways as well.

But the stories that stick with me are the ones he's told me about his 35 Ford pick-up called "Lil Ebony." I haven't seen pictures (don't even know if they exist even), but I was told that it had a hot 53 Merc flatty painted chrome yellow with 3/4 race cam, twin Strombergs on a Fenton manifold and Offenhauser heads. The truck was black with red & white candy striped tuck & roll interior and tonneau cover. It also had chromed torque tube exhaust running just under the bed rails. This is really all I know about the truck.

He sold Lil Ebony just before heading off to Vietnam, but pulled the engine and replaced it with a small block Chevy (I believe) before he let it go. I have the flatty and all the goodies sitting in my garage that he pulled before he sold the truck.

About 17 or so years ago my dad and I tracked down the truck. At that time it was owned by someone in Montana. We made an offer, but they didn't want to part with the truck. I've since lost track of Lil Ebony and would like to find her again -- even if the current owner isn't willing to sell. I'd like to see some pics and learn some more history. Anyone have any leads?

So check it out, through a post I just happened to come across through an un-related search on the HAMB (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/<wbr>forum/showthread.php?t=406338 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406338)), I found a pic of Lil Ebony! I have been dieing to see a picture of this truck since my uncle and my dad first told me stories about it when I was a young child. I had made this post trying to locate it a couple years ago: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/<wbr>forum/showthread.php?t=233033 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233033). And got no response. I NEED to find this truck now -- especially since I have the flathead from it that my uncle pulled out before selling the truck and going to Vietnam. I'd be grateful for any information about the truck!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k80/MNBullyBoy/Car%20Misc/LilEbony.jpg

Bull
01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I had dinner with my dad and my uncle over the weekend to talk about Lil Ebony and show them the pic that i came across. My uncle had no idea that a truck I had never seen, but heard so much about had such a profound effect on me. Wow . . . the stories just poured out!

The builder of the truck was Bill Gefre, not Befre as the photo says. Apparently my uncle knows Bill, he lives locally and is still around. Bill and "Peanuts" at N.E. Auto Body in Minneapolis did the work on the truck. Bill sold the truck to Steve Paulis. Steve used to take his wife to church in Lil Ebony on Sundays. My uncle worked at the service station just down the street from the church. Steve pulled into the service station one Sunday and asked my uncle if he could park the truck there so someone could keep an eye on it while he and his wife were at church. My uncle was a junior in high school at the time. Steve's wife was pregnant and he needed to sell Lil Ebony. My uncle stepped up right away and bought the truck. Steve and my uncle became good friends and still are to this day. My uncle drove the truck for a couple years and put it in storage before going to Vietnam -- just after he blew the flatty. He stored Lil Ebony in a garage in Minneapolis along with his 34 Ford Tudor (painted by Jon Kosmoski). In 1966 my aunt was pregnant and Lil Ebony had to go. My uncle pulled the flatty out and started to install a SBC. Before he got it running again the truck was sold in 1966 or 1967. The story gets a little fuzzy for me after that, but apparently the guy who bought it in 67 pulled the SBC and put a flathead back in it. It was then sold and ended up in Montana. My dad and I had tracked down the owner in Montana about 17-18 years ago. The truck had not changed and was just sitting in a barn. It got out to stretch its legs a couple times a year, but the owner had no plans of changing it or selling it even though we made him a good offer at the time. We told him we would love to buy the truck if he ever wanted to sell it and left our contact information. My dad and my uncle are currently looking through their stuff for contact info so we might be able to track Lil Ebony down again.

surfside
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Do you remember anything else about that 57 Chevy? Was it a two door or four door? What color was it? Any body damage? How many people were in the car? I may know the person who owned the car. He used to drag race on Lake Street in 1967. The person I knew had a toy gun. He used to point it at cars and then chase them for a few blocks for the fun of it. Only did it a few times, then threw the toy away. Never did any harm, just stupid crazy fun.

billsill45
08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Do you remember anything else about that 57 Chevy? Was it a two door or four door? What color was it? Any body damage? How many people were in the car? I may know the person who owned the car. He used to drag race on Lake Street in 1967. The person I knew had a toy gun. He used to point it at cars and then chase them for a few blocks for the fun of it. Only did it a few times, then threw the toy away. Never did any harm, just stupid crazy fun.

Your friend had to have been a finalist in the Dumb Ass of the Decade contest. I lived in Minneapolis during that time and there were people cruising Lake St. that carried real guns. Pull that crap on the wrong people and if he was lucky, he'd learn that a toy gun can also be used as a suppository. :eek:

need louvers ?
08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey guys! Got a question for you, shall we say more "seasoned" Twin Cities guys. Throughout the sixties, my dad Bob Quinn owned a company called Racing Unlimited over on Snelling, in St.Paul. I know that near the end he had a store in N.E. Minneapolis as well, but I don't remember the address. Does any one have one of the old company decals that was a duck on a tricycle? Or , for that matter, any other Racing Unlimited stuff? I frequently run into people that knew the business, and I have the last chain stitch embroidered jacket patch I know of, but I would like to at least see some other stuff. Sorry if this a thread hijack, but we don't often get a bunch of Twin Cities guys together here. Thanks, Chip Quinn

ken bogren
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Man, what a trip this thread is! We spent a lot of nights cruising Lake Street in the 60s.

57 300
12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Yep,its an old thread but I had heard that Gary was seeing a gal by the name of Maxine.This girl could sure has hell drive a three pedel car.I watched from the steps of Beno's on 56th street as she kicked the shit out of a 65 Plymouth max wedge car with her 4sp Chevelle.Kind'a had a crush on her,with that redish brown hair,but she was so much older........6 years....lol

youngster
02-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I cruised University in St Paul from the "Loop" to Porkies. The were some small lots there too. Traded a kick ass '55 for a '61 Belair 2dr ht,348/4spd at one of them. Went back the next day to get my '55 back and it was sold already. NOT one of my best trades!!

Ron

warrconn
03-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Actually, the sign said "If you can beat me, you can eat me"

warrconn
03-29-2011, 07:27 PM

MSRA #85

Yeah, forgot about that guy. Bolt-on stuff everywhere! I think he had the swan hood ornament with the huge orange plexi-glass wings....

BJR
03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah, forgot about that guy. Bolt-on stuff everywhere! I think he had the swan hood ornament with the huge orange plexi-glass wings....

see post #163

dalerobin
04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Reply about the guy who ran from the cops on Lake St. in the 57 Olds..God..this cant be after all these years. The guy was my first wifes cousin known as Big Marv..He had a 57 Olds with the Tricarbs and ended up smashing the pumps in the Lake St. Clark station along with almost burning down the place. He got out and got away as the car and pumps burnt .. He made it back to his apartment and when the cops came knocking the next morning he said his Olds was parked out front in the street and it couldnt have been him. When they looked out front and it was gone he reported it stolen and got away with it. Hell, thats been over 50 years ago..

dalerobin
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Was the guys name Marvin or Big Marv ?

dabirdguy
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM

As I recall it was a black '57 with a lot of primer patches.

Scared the shit outta us!

My Dad and Uncles were from the Wayzata area and used to go down to lake street probably around that same time. My Dad graduated from Wayzata in 1965. His ride back then was a 1963 Impala SS convertible 327, 4-speed. The 327 was ditched in favor of a 396 that was bought through Village Chev in Wayzata.

If that '63 was red with a white interior, I remember him and the car.
He had a sweet reverb unit making sounds thru the back seat speaker.

Glenn

SUNROOFCORD
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
wasn't the ford dealship on lake street Woodhead ford

I believe it was and before that, it was Nelson Ekdahl Ford. I believe it was on the southwest corner of 4th Ave. and Lake Street.

A quick search for Nelson Ekdahl Ford brought up this picture circa 1969. Guess it was on 5th Ave and East Lake St.

Beau
05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Great thread Gonzo and thanks for directing me here.

A few of us are going to try and bring Hot Rods back to Lake St. A fella named Dan that is usaually seen in a super low 60's Ford truck had the idea, and a few of us are going to go for it. The first cruise night is Saturday the 28th. After that, we will do it the last Saturday of each month. Dan had a few gathering spots picked out, and there is also the Galaxy Drive In on West Lake St.

I'll try and post the gathering spot later on.

Hope to see some of you there.

EDIT- I work right at Lyn-Lake at Penn Cycle, and my main hang out is down the alley from Delanos Pizza. There really are not that many cars cruising this area anymore. It should be a pleasant addition to the area.

surfside
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
It was a black 57 Chevy Bel Aire 2 door hard top. The left quarter panel was painted with black primer. Probably happened around Park Avenue, heading west. You were in the left lane. Sorry about the scare, we did some stupid things back then.

Can't beleive we are exchanging stories about Lake Street 44 years later.

vintage tin
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
If that '63 was red with a white interior, I remember him and the car.
He had a sweet reverb unit making sounds thru the back seat speaker.

Glenn

The 63 was originally Maroon with black top and black guts. Fenton Mags. Later was painted a medium green 1969 Mopar color like on the A12 Super Bees with the lift off hoods.

Thom Mead
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Anybody remember a multi-colored full custom metalflake pink Mercury that used to sit near the tower at Minnesota Dragways? All these replies about cruising Lake St. made me think of it for some reason. I'd love to see photos of what that car looked like then to see if it matches my memory at all. At the time I couldn't believe that I thought a pink car looked cool.

James Maxwell
03-11-2012, 08:46 AM
No photos however did find these memories listed about Lake Street:

<small>Every city has a street like this. It was once probably a main thorough fair, but never the main thorough fair in a town. It is a place where there have been car dealers and auto-part stores and restaurants past their prime. One end might be in an upscale neighborhood, and the other end might be kind of seedy. Minneapolis has Lake Street. St. Paul has University Avenue, Denver has Colorado Blvd, etc. </small> <small> Last month channel 2 showed up at our meeting doing some footage on Lake Street and the happenings that have occurred there. They will be airing the show on Lake Street in February of 1999. It got me thinking about the fabric of my universe. Growing up in west Minneapolis, Lake Street has really played a more significant part in my coming to adulthood then I had realized. </small>
<small> As a kid (http://www.motorbyte.com/norton/images/little%20greggy.jpg), I found it to be my southern most border. My parents would let me walk just that far. This was ok since the Calhoun Beach Hotel was at that border, a place with a candy store, not to mention channel 11. Sitting on the steps there we might run into Casey Jones, Dave Lee or perhaps Mad Dog Vachon and his brother the Butcher. They were always good for a chunk of Bonamo's Turkish taffy or two. </small>
<small> As I got a little older, the railroad tracks that ran up and down Lake Street became one of my main thorough fair. I didn't really talk about this very much with my parents, but the railroad tracks yielded the opportunity to not cross any streets but still go long distances. During the day, they were relatively safe. I remember trying to get a good view up and down Lake Street by climbing up the grain elevators behind Porky's. You could see quite a distance past the Buzza building from there. We looked for golf balls behind the Putt-Putt and turned them in for free games. On adventurous days, we would go further into the Porky's parking lot to watch the cool cars that would rotate through and wait for baldies or the animals to show up. They never really did show up but we were afraid of them all the same. You may remember that the baldies would shave their heads and wear razor blades between the soles and uppers of their wing tips. I never had a clear idea of what the animals really looked like. </small>
<small> The summer after 6th grade came, and with it the need to start impressing girls. I lost my first ring, one with a topaz in it trying to play chicken with somebody at the main beach on Lake Calhoun. It is hard to look too cool in front of the girls when you've just lost your favorite ring. </small>
<small> It was about that time that I stopped being interested in HO trains and picked up slot cars. Of course, slot cars were right up my alley. I wasn't that interested in sports but here is a place where I could really shine. I became the guru of rewinding mabuchi motors. Every Saturday and I some number of my friends would mount our Stingray bicycles or get on the 17 bus and ride down Lake Street to Woodcraft raceways. Usually we got off at Lake and Hennepin and had a 35 cent malted at Uptown Drug. The ritual of going to Woodcraft and then to the Woodcraft raceways next door (directly across from the present Bryant Lake Bowl) was imputable. We each had our own tackle box which had our name on it, at least when one STP sticker and any other number of decals which we had not used on models. Inside the box we would of course have a number of wheels, axles, motors, one or two of our favorite cars and of course that bottle of Wintergreen. </small>
<small> Wintergreen was suppose to make the foam tires slicker so that the cars would adhere to the tract just a little better. I remember entering Woodcraft Raceways and smelling the Wintergreen. It was about as exciting a feeling as a 13-year-old boy can get before he really knows what girls are all about. The anticipation of putting your car down on the slot and cracking the controller was always high. Every week we would come with some different modification that we had made to the car which we were sure it was going to make the fastest car on the track. Most of the time I was either out of money or too cheap to spend money on actually track time and might be considered to have been a "mooch". A mooch would run a car while another car had just flown through the air. "Can I just test this car for one lap?" I usually spent most of my time working on cars for myself and my friend. </small>
<small> Like later in my life, I think that working on things has been as important or more important than actually running them. The slot cars gradually gave way to go-carts. These were not go-carts that you buy from a store. These were go-carts that were made from old lawn mowers and pieces lying around. My go-cart went through at least 6 permeations before I finally decided that my Stingray bicycle (not really a Stingray but one that I had put together out of my brother's 24" frame) needed a motor. Again, Lake Street continued to be important. </small>
<small> Those tracks were our proving ground. I would work all week on the bike and the confines of the basement of the apartment building where we lived and then at times speed out of the basement, down the alley and over to the grain elevators. Sometimes, we would go over to Porky's and hang out with the closest thing we had to a real motorcycle. Seventh grade had come and with it, daily trips down Lake Street to Hennepin and Lake where we would transfer to go over to Jefferson Junior High School or perhaps continue down Lake Street on the 6 bus. </small>
<small> I remember one Saturday, shortly after 7th grade had started when Frosty Pearson and Doug Goodman were walking with me east from Lake and Hennepin. At that time there was a car lot right next to the alley which went to Calhoun School. Calhoun School used to be just about where the big parking ramp is behind the Hennepin and Lake Center. Anyhow, some guys that I didn't know saw Frosty Pearson and decided it was a good time to beat up someone. As they proceeded to beat up Frosty, I interceded. Thinking that this would all be done in a gentlemanly way, I expected that the altercation would simply stop, we would all shake hands and go have some ice cream. Frosty ran like hell, Doug Goodman ran like hell, and Brad O'Brien, at the time (unbeknownst to me) the toughest kid in Calhoun School decided that if he couldn't beat up Frosty, he would beat up whoever was readily available. This did not work out to Brad's best interest as, not knowing who he was or how important he was in the structure and fabric of the 7th grade tough guy hiarchy managed to require some scraps and scratches that he had not counted on. Only later did I find who he was and the fact that I should have been afraid of him. Though I did get into other fights during junior high none were with Brad, who kept his distance. </small>
<small> Lake Street at that point started to show me its grittier side. It wasn't long before I acquired a Yamaha YA6 Santa Barbara 125 cc "motorcycle" which had been bent at a right angle by Carl Simer's bigger brother. My parents thought that it would be OK for me to spend 60 dollars on this, but never thought I'd get the frame straightened (it was monocoque). As I acquired the necessary parts to make the YA6 runable (with homemade sissy bar and Cadillac tail lights) I needed to go to Jim's Auto slightly further down Lake Street. Actually Jim's Auto is almost across from where we have our meetings now. At the time it was a Yamaha dealer but also it featured CHOPPERS. Pictures or choppers which I had doodled using every type of engine and frame adorned the fronts and insides and margins of just about every notebook I had.</small>
<small> </small>http://www.motorbyte.com/norton/images/my_ya-6_low_res.jpg (http://www.motorbyte.com/norton/images/my%20ya-6%20big.jpg)
<small> Though I was told to be afraid of their riders, I was befriended by two unlikely fellows named James and Uppie at Jim's Auto. James always wore a black shirt and had long blonde hair and a beard. He was slender and soft spoken. When I would show up on my English bike balancing fork tubes under one arm, he would always spare some time. Uppie, was your typical Hell's Angel type whose vocabulary was severely limited to words which I couldn't pronounce west of Lake Street for fear of my mother hearing them. Like the Eskimos who have any number of words to describe snow, Uppie had any number of ways of saying the same word with various nuances to relay his meaning. </small>
<small> Uppie was the fellow who led the parade down Lake Street to protest helmets (does anyone else remember him). I still remember the jar sitting on the parts counter with a picture of a small disheveled boy no more than four with a leather jacket on and a little note that said "the little Uppie fund". Lake Street was considered auto row at the time from end to the other. There were also many motorcycle dealers including Honda Town, Bultaco dealer, BMW dealer and of course WIW. Going down Lake Street, one could also stop at Dunebuggie Supply if there was time to see the Meyers Manxs body and dream about how your going to cut down that Volkswagen frame. </small>
<small> By seventeen, I had been working in my dad's store in for four years. I managed to buy a 66' Scout with plow on it. I would go up and down Lake Street hauling stuff for the store, doing some plowing and starting cars in the winter. When one of my friends wanted to buy an old car, they would call me in for consultation. I remember once telling a friend how screwed up an engine can get if the spark plug wires are switched around. </small>
<small> One afternoon while studying that friend called me to come check on a 61' Chrysler convertible sitting at Grossman Chervelot. It seems that the mechanics couldn't get the car started for some strange reason when my friend asked the salesman if the car ran. Of course he had looked at the engine previously and perhaps made a few modifications. In any event, they had forgotten how to get the wires straight again and of course I was required as the unknowing instigator of the perpetration to straighten things out. I appeared with my tool kit and calmly walked over to the car. The mechanics watched from some distance thinking that no 17-year-old could correct the problem that they had not been able to figure out. Of course by this time, we had bargained down from $400.00 to about $120.00. With a few wire changes we were in business and waving goodby to the salesman. </small>
<small> I later remember taking by new girlfriend out in my dad's 71 Riviera. Someone tried to turn left from the right hand lane, bumping the front of this brand new Riviera. What ensued was a five block long car chase, largely through red lights, ending in an one-Adam-twelve sort of stop where I ran the guy off the road with my dad's Riviera. </small>
<small> I remember my first malted at the Hasty Tasty, by first burrito at Little Tijuana and of course, the delightful ambiance of the White Castle just beyond Sears. I remember rebuilding the gas logged carburetor floats of my 53' Oldsmobile in the White Castle parking lot in total darkness. The speed shops were on Lake Street. I remember Anson Automotive and Smith Auto. I remember almost , but not quite buying a Muntz Jet from a lot which was roughly at Emerson and Lake. I remember going west on Lake for piano lessons and east on Lake to sit trembling in the dentist chair over on Bloomington. I remember Panda Motors, Tuesday Motors and Pirkles. I remember sitting at a big round table with Bernie early on Saturday mornings at Bernie's Del and I remember seeing my first scary movie, The Thirteen Ghosts at the Park Theater. In 1984, I got married (God forbid on Hennepin) but had our reception at the Calhoun Beach Hotel on Lake Street.

It seems only fitting that we have our meetings at Dulono's on Lake Street. Standing up there on the dumpster, addressing the masses of bikers seems like a natural to me. Riding home through its dark coolness after midnight on my Norton also seems natural. I think that if I ever move away, it will be one of the hardest things about this city to leave, however, wouldn't it be neat to be able to go to just about any city and find yourself a "Lake Street" to explore. </small>
<small> Help me make a list.
</small>
<small>Greg, </small>
<small>the artful bodger

</small>

warrconn
04-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Wow! Thanks for the memories, Greg. It sounds like we had the same childhood! Slot cars at Woodcraft, Putt-Putt, Porky's, climbing the grain elevators, etc. My friends and I also played on those railroad tracks. We would steal flares and "torpedoes" from the unlocked sheds.

I also remember seeing the Vachon Brothers at WTCN TV, as well as the Russian Bear and some "masked marvel" type. I was on Dave Lee and Pete a couple of times, and once, my friend Joe Preston and I snuck up the stairs to where the grab bags for the show were set out before show time. We each grabbed a couple of 'em and were making our getaway when we ran smack into channel 11 news anchor Stuart A. Lindman! He chased us down those marble stairs and we dropped the bags as we ran outside.

Other Lake Street (and Hennepin) memories: The Jolly Troll Smorgasboard, Lancer's clothing, 10,000 Auto Parts, the pet shop next to Woodcraft Hobby, the Attic, etc.

I also remember the Buzza building that you mentioned, as well as the White Castle near Sears. In later years, we'd go there after the bars closed...we called it "Dinner and a Show".

I lived several blocks from Lake Street, but on summer nights, with my bedroom windows open, I remember being a kid and hearing the occasional drag race, or someone getting 3rd gear rubber in the wee hours. Later, in the early 70s, I was cruising Lake Street myself....first in a '66 GTO convertible, then in a bronze '69 Super Bee, and still yet in my '69 Chevelle SS396.

Little Tijuana!! I forgot about that place!

Beau
04-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Little T's appears to be closed as of a few month ago. My workshop is block from there.

Look forward to more cruise nights on Lake St. this Summer. Also The Har Mat Mall is where most of the Porky's crowd is now days.

youngster
04-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Every time I see this thread brought back up it puts a smile on my face. I ran University and the loop in St. Paul but the stories are the same.

Ron

billsill45
04-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Here are a few Lake Street shots from the 60's:

GonzoMN
04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Here are a few Lake Street shots from the 60's:

Great shots. Remember races in HiLake Shopping center. Had forgot about the Happy Troll.

billsill45
04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Not quite Lake Street, but close enough .... Riteway Motor Parts on Glenwood Avenue. A real auto parts store where the counter guys talked the talk and walked the walk. If you asked for a car deodorizer or a pair of fuzzy dice, they would have probably kicked your sorry ass to the curb!!

BJR
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
In the background of the first picture of post #240 with the Red Owl store is the old Minneapolis Moline factory where they made Minneapolis Moline tractors. I used to drive by there and the lot by Lake Street was full of brand new MM orange tractors.

warrconn
04-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Don't forget Zapatas on Lake! Besides Lake Street and St. Paul's loop, there was Central Avenue in Nordeast Mpls. and the Sun Drive-In

Does anyone remember this black guy, I think his name was Gene Pitman or something like that. He'd show up at that lot on East lake, across from Porky's/Aunt Nora's, with a Pro-Stock Challenger on a trailer? The car looked the part, anyway, with all kinds of decals, etc. He'd take it off the trailer and fire it up, and OMG! The damn thing nearly shook itself apart!

There were a couple of guys that I used to go to for tuning/valve jobs, etc. When I had Mopars, it was Lee Sprague. With my Chevrolet SS 396, I went to Lou Feger Racing in Wayzata. My Mallory Dual-Point distibutors were re-curved at Smith Auto on Lake Street.

Oh, by the way, the first brand new vehicle I ever bought was a 1976 Triumph Bonneville from W.I.W. on Lake Street.

youngster
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
We cruised Lake Phalen a lot in my '41 Chebby back then too. Often saw Gene Sonnen in a '40, Bill Casey in his '36, Bob Nelsen in his '41 pannel among others.

Ron

billsill45
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's one for the Mopar crew ... Anderson Dodge on E. Lake St.

I've seen a number of references to Smith Auto Industries ... I spent a few dollars with Ted back in the day, also. Anytime I stopped by Smith Auto, I had to swing around the corner of Lake St. and Lyndale Ave. to check out what Smith Bros. & Fetrow had displayed in their front window ... usually a cool drag or custom motorcycle.

About a year ago I was back in Minneapolis to see some friends and I drove by the old Smith Auto building on Lake St. It was some sort of yuppie coffee house/bistro whatever ... in a weird way it kind of bummed me out to see what it had become.

rustang
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
OK... I open the first page of this thread and....so this is kind of spooky.....a couple of weeks ago I was thinking about a wild painted Fairlane wagon that I was looking at buying back in '84 or '85 as a poor collage kid.....I knew it was an old drag car as it had a big yellow sticker on the dash for the NHRA nationals.... the wild paint was in good shape also...I really wanted that car...

I could not afford the car (think is was like 1200 bucks or so at a used car dealer in Eau Claire, WI). When i looked at it it was running a stock 289 with a automatic, so the big block was gone. I believe most of the lettering was rubbed off also.

I had done some google serches a number of times looking for any pictures and always came up empty.... low and behold I open this thread today, and there that same car is.

Anybody know where it is today? Like I said, back in the mid '80s it was still in great shape, no rust and the same wheels......crazy shit!
Tom

billsill45
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
OK... I open the first page of this thread and....so this is kind of spooky.....a couple of weeks ago I was thinking about a wild painted Fairlane wagon that I was looking at buying back in '84 or '85 as a poor collage kid.....I knew it was an old drag car as it had a big yellow sticker on the dash for the NHRA nationals.... the wild paint was in good shape also...I really wanted that car...

I could not afford the car (think is was like 1200 bucks or so at a used car dealer in Eau Claire, WI). When i looked at it it was running a stock 289 with a automatic, so the big block was gone. I believe most of the lettering was rubbed off also.

I had done some google serches a number of times looking for any pictures and always came up empty.... low and behold I open this thread today, and there that same car is.

Anybody know where it is today? Like I said, back in the mid '80s it was still in great shape, no rust and the same wheels......crazy shit!
Tom

It was restored a few years ago. I saw a pictorial feature on it showing before and after shots ... it was looking pretty sad in the before shots. Sorry, I don't remember where I saw the pictures or who the current owner is. As I recall, Richard Charbonneau held a NHRA national record with the wagon, either in a Stock or Super Stock class.

I remember seeing Charbonneau race it at Minnesota Dragways in the early 70's.

Dave_Lantto
04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Here's a couple links to photo of the current state of Richard Charbonneau's wagon. Cook was running the 427 for a few years, but I think it may have a 390 now...still a 4-speed though...always shows up for the Nationals at BIR. It would be awesome to see it restored back to how Richard ran it though, but I'm sure that paint job would be a nightmare to duplicate.

http://dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=214264
http://dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=212041
(Didn't want to post a copyrighted photo)

titus
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Little T's appears to be closed as of a few month ago. My workshop is block from there.

Sounds like they are opening back up, i looked them up on facebook, dont know for sure but thats what i got from the facebook page.

I used to go there alot, interesting place