View Full Version : What engines were used on irrigation pumps etc?

Roothawg
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I have one of those leads on an engine "with the spark plugs in the valve covers".

Were most of the Industrial Hemis the 354 and 392? This is one of those friend of a friend deals.......

ORGANGRINDER
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
i always heard that the flathead v8 was used most......i guess to some it would look like the plug was in the "valve cover"

reggie

Roothawg
10-01-2008, 11:08 AM
This is supposed to be a Chrysler engine.

Tman
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I have heard of Hemis. Good bet it is a flatty or Hemi.

SinisterCustom
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
The 331 was used alot as well......

Roothawg
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
10 bucks says it never materializes.

Rootie Kazoootie
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
FWIW-I grew up in the upper midwest farm country in the 60s. The vast majority of irrigation pumps I saw were powered by Ford/Mopar flathead 6s.

Ole Pork
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I worked for a time in the electric motor field, and we re-built pumps also.The pumps that were powered by engines, were usually whatever the owners put together. By far, it seemed that older hemis, and Ford v-8's were used most. It depends really on when the rig was built and what was available at that time. Other Mopar engines, such as 413, and 440's were also popular.....

FLAT-TOP BOB
10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
lots of hemis where used in the texas panhandle for pumps and most were industrial

four-thirteen
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
No industrial 392s.

There was the "56a", which was the only 354 industrial motor. The 56 and I/IND 20, 20a, 24, 24a were all 331s.

Industrial hemis tend not to have the stamping in the usual place on the front of the valley, but instead only a riveted tag on the back behind the left side head and covered in enough grime.

boldventure
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
The Blastoline guys, same guys that built Leno's "Tank Car", put a "twin-six", a 12 cylinder GM engine, in their latest creation. I stumbled on some info about this engine a while ago on the web. I've heard many of them are used to power irrigation pumps, one reference said irrigation pumps in TX.

Lots of HAMB guys in TX, ever heard of one?

Roothawg
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I am still trying to get info. Someone had told a buddy about this " 426 hemi" irrigation pump. I told my buddy that most were the smaller cid engines. He was only interested in it if it were a 426, (which I don't think they ever made). He told me if it is anything other, he'd let me have it. It supposed to be free. We'll see.

boozoo
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
392 no...

331 and 354 are most of what my Dad's been running into.

What I remembered seeing most while growing up was stuff like SBC's and 6 bangers.

ajmopar
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
My brother got a 331 hemi with 354 heads on it from an irrigation pump. It had the cool "Chrysler Industrial" valve covers on it.

You used to be able to buy the industrial motors from Princess Auto out west!

bobss396
10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I spent part of some summers as a kid on farms in rural New Hampshire. I was intrigued by these irrigation pumps that were often right next to the road in many cases with a big fuel tank close by (with a lock on the cap!).

I've seen Ford flatties, old 292-ish Y-blocks and Chrysler flatheads. Most of them had huge truck radiators in front of them.

Bob

RacerRick
10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
If its a V8 chrysler with sparkplugs through the valve covers, my guess would be a 331 or 354 industrial hemi. THey used them up here also.

boldventure
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Stuff on industrial MOPAR Hemi...

www.victorysiren.com/x/photo-pages/331/331-photos.htm

tractorguy
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I recently bought a pump and 348 Chev. combination. It had run with a Chrysler hemi until it blew and owner put the Chev. in. Currently, many irrigation pumps run big block Chev 396 454 502. They run on propane in many cases. Also, more pumps are now running with tractor engines such as Cat, Cummins, John Deere etc. I have not been inside the 348 engine yet but I think running any engine on a pump is like running on a loaded dyno for your entire life.

UnIOnViLLEHauNT
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe it's a Hemi and its actually attatched to an Air Raid siren! That was always something Ive wanted to have in my yard. Talk about being a hit with the neighbors haha. Good luck on the hunt!

rc.grimes
10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
The older industrial pumps we had on the base here had 354's. Down at the local Air base they still had 354's powering their mobile staircases up until 3-4 years ago.
On the other hand i have found several air cooled vw powered irrigation pumps.

RichFox
On the way to El Mirage I used to pass an 805 inch Roline V8 powered irragation pump. Looked like it ran on nateral gas. Had an oil drun mounted next to and higher than it with what looked like a float valve to add oil if the level dropped enough. The drive was disconnected and a large electric motor was turning the pump.

61TBird
The Blastoline guys, same guys that built Leno's "Tank Car", put a "twin-six", a 12 cylinder GM engine, in their latest creation. I stumbled on some info about this engine a while ago on the web. I've heard many of them are used to power irrigation pumps, one reference said irrigation pumps in TX.

Lots of HAMB guys in TX, ever heard of one?

this one??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pha8W_AcDaA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pha8W_AcDaA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgc5P6NlWgo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bgc5P6NlWgo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KeithDyer
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Hmmmmm!!

Wonder if they look like this??

K

enjenjo
10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I am still trying to get info. Someone had told a buddy about this " 426 hemi" irrigation pump. I told my buddy that most were the smaller cid engines. He was only interested in it if it were a 426, (which I don't think they ever made). He told me if it is anything other, he'd let me have it. It supposed to be free. We'll see.

40 years ago I was in a warehouse in Toledo where there were 300 425 industrial engines. They were all paunted light blue. A few months later I was there again, and they were gone. I have no idea what they were for, or who got them, but they did exist. They may well have gone overseas.

Ramblur
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Around here I'm guessing the swamp rat made off with most of the Chryslers,
but I used too see a lot of nailhead Buicks and occasionally Packard inline
8's.

RustyBolts
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I saw one that was an older DeSoto hemi.

Make sure if you get something that it runs in the right direction. I've heard there were some industrial engines that were designed to rotate backwards, and you have to change out the cam and a bunch of other parts to get it to run forwards again.

George
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I saw one that was an older DeSoto hemi.

Make sure if you get something that it runs in the right direction. I've heard there were some industrial engines that were designed to rotate backwards, and you have to change out the cam and a bunch of other parts to get it to run forwards again.There were Dodge & DeSoto industrial Hemis. The counter rotating ones were marine(boat) engines.

oldspert
10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Lots of Olds 455's were used on irrigation pumps in central and west texas. Lots of torque for lifting water from deep wells.

a54Studebaker
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I saw an old Poly irrigation engine setting behind an irrigation place the other day, probably pretty good still if it was run on propane or natural gas.
I think alot of the farmers are going with electric pumps around here now.

39cent
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
lots of the home built pumps and saws on farms etc were old buick straight 6,s and also straight 8,s. My chevy V8 in 56' was supposedly a wind machine motor from a texas orange grove.I think most any old car engine available was used in the old days.

BCR
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
For you F.E. Ford guys, the 428 that were common on irrigation motors used the good crank (Cobra Jet) and the good block. The heads are shit but the short block is a great foundation. A 10/10 428 block will bring some good money and that crank is very hot property too.

Bad Bob
10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
There's some orange orchards in Riverside,on the way to slddnmatt's house that have a bunch of flatheads on poles,that run the water irrigation. There are still out there too...

Lobucrod
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I spent a couple of years in Denver City Texas working in a machine ship. We rebuild several irrigation engines. Lots of 413 chryslers, 455 olds, 292 sixes, one farmer had a couple of 302 GMC sixes with the hydros still attached. Came out of tanks. Another only used Hemi industrial engines. We never got to rebuild them. He always got a new one if one quit and stacked the old one up in his barn. Must have had 20. It was in the early 70's and I heard someone bought all of them off of him for a song.

povertyflats
10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I have owned industrial irrigation engines of many types over the years including GMC V 12's. right now I have several 331 chrysler hemi industrials for sale but they were not used for irrigation but rather aircraft tugs.

owen thomas
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I think most of the Chrysler Industrial engines were made at the Maysville, Michigan plant, along with the Chrysler Marine engines. I remember being involved with their crankshafts in the mid to late 60ís, and some of the industrial cranks were carbo-nitride hardened, unlike the automotive cranks, which were not hardened.

When I was at Olds Experimental back in the late 50Ďs and early 60ís, a guy from Texas used to come up with a big flat bed truck and take back a bunch of engines back to Texas to be used to drive irrigation pumps. He ran them ran flat out for days and days. Claimed that he had tried others, but the Olds engines held up the best. Kind of like a big water brake dyno I guess. Sometime he would bring a couple of the used engines back to use for evaluation. I never saw any broken, but they sure were worn out.
<O:p
My wifeís cousin is a big farmer in Kansas. He runs his irrigation pumps with John Deere diesels now, but used to use Chryslers. 413ís I think. Last time I was out there he had big pile of those old Chrysler engines laying out behind a building. He also had a GMC pickup not being used anymore, maybe 1955? Nice shape. Had a Hydra-Matic emblem on the fender. Thatís cool too.

slddnmatt
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
ya a few flatheads run the propellers in the orange groves to not let the frost settle on the trees, i had my eye on a couple and they pulled the engines out before the poles came down. there were some that they just knocked over they had flathead sixes in them. use to be a orange grove sprayer up the street from me that had a industrial hemi to run the pump, missed that one too...:mad::mad:

buick320a
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I had one a few years ago.....it was a 354, was taged not stamped and it also came from the factory with the crank turned 10/10....plain valve covers......great looking exhaust manafolds.bastard water pump, and intake.sodium valves and big flat bottom oil pan..............painted yellow

bushwacker 57
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
MY 331 cad was from a field pump in bakersfield i bought it from SQUEEK BELL . When he found it had a vertex mag- edmunds rare fined ex manfolds the block had no serial numbers . The speed equip is long gone. I rebuilt it and now is in my 51 ford pickup.

55 dude
10-01-2008, 09:52 PM
the 331's seem to be the most common i have seen. they were used in wind machines and backup hospital power plants.

ten thumb
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Saw a few flat head continentals but they were inlines.

Locomotive Breath
10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
On the way to El Mirage I used to pass an 805 inch Roline V8 powered irragation pump. Looked like it ran on nateral gas. Had an oil drun mounted next to and higher than it with what looked like a float valve to add oil if the level dropped enough. The drive was disconnected and a large electric motor was turning the pump.

There was one of those engines sitting in a local truck wrecking yard last year. I thought about buying it, for what I don't know other than just V8 history. It looked really heavy though.

RichFox
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
When I was at UAL you could order a 331 Chrysler tug motor out of the parts catalog. never tried it. The 31 Plymouth four cylinder that was the first Ply in my roadster came from an orchard in Gilroy where it had been a pump motor.

ezekiel
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
On our farm, we used Chrysler 440's and Olds 455's.
Powerful!

bigblock225slant6
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
hell a few of the larger pumps where powered by the god of V8s too, the all aluminium dual over head cam ford GAA

Mr48chev
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Here is a vintage wind machine that is in front of a local wind machine mfg.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/mr48chev/oldphotos412.jpg

Most pumps are and have been electric in this area for years but a few are hooked to pto's on farm tractors.

When we use to run back and forth to Waco every couple of years I used to see about every model of engine (big sixes and eights) that you could imagine hooked to pumps beside the highways.

pasadenahotrod
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
There were probably thousands of hemi Chryslers used on ittigation pumps throughout Texas. I've driven past yards out west of Houston which had piles and rows of hemis in them. They were used in the oil and gas industry too.

fiftyv8
10-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I believe a lot of 346 cadillac flatheads were used for almost any purpose.
They ran tanks, buses, landing barges, gensets, welders and pumps.

I read an WW2 article that said if a tank did not have 2 x 346 flatheads in it then it was running 5 x chrysler 6 cylinder flatheads making a total of 30 cylinders pushing those suckers along.

Interesting threads indeed.

hot rust
10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
No industrial 392s.

There was the "56a", which was the only 354 industrial motor. The 56 and I/IND 20, 20a, 24, 24a were all 331s.

Industrial hemis tend not to have the stamping in the usual place on the front of the valley, but instead only a riveted tag on the back behind the left side head and covered in enough grime.

sold one of these not long ago, a 56,331 engine. if it's a true industrial engine it will have a gear set up on the cam and crank and the cam is reversed rotation but the one i sold had a timing chain set up, which makes the same as the reg production auto engine. they made em both ways.

29 de soto
10-12-2008, 11:16 PM
i recently picked up a running ind.331 in an orchard sprayer,and a 49 merc flathead in a trailer linked to a 36 inch saw blade.all ag use.

denis4x4
10-13-2008, 07:09 AM
The original Ignitor (Petronix) ignition system was designed to be used on pump engines, towmotors, fork lifts and refer compressors.

Badassbrutus
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Theres one at the cranberry boggs here in nantucket HEMI been tryin to weasel it out of em they still use it till this day its badass and loud.

walpolla
10-13-2008, 07:33 AM
I read an WW2 article that said if a tank did not have 2 x 346 flatheads in it then it was running 5 x chrysler 6 cylinder flatheads making a total of 30 cylinders pushing those suckers along.

Interesting threads indeed.

you mean one of these?
http://i36.tinypic.com/2zods3p.jpg

regards,Rod:D

Michigander
10-13-2008, 07:55 AM
For you F.E. Ford guys, the 428 that were common on irrigation motors used the good crank (Cobra Jet) and the good block. The heads are shit but the short block is a great foundation. A 10/10 428 block will bring some good money and that crank is very hot property too.

Oh yes, 428's. There are also industrial 427 FE's too, machined WITHOUT the crossbolts for the mains. With new main caps, they can be machined for the crossbolted mains.

Quite a variety out there.

Steve

Larry T
10-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Around here everyone ran what they had. Lots of Y blocks, 6 cylinders and a few Hemi's. Up on the plains (around Lubbock) the water was deep enough (Ogallala Aquifer) that they used big motors. Mostly 400+ cubic inch Chevy, Ford and Chryslers.

Kinda of interesting that after Don Hardy slowed down on race cars and V-8 Vega/S-10 kits he started manufacturing and selling "energy efficient" irrigation engines. He figured out how to make a 6 cylinder (Fords, I believe) do the job of the big blocks and use a lot less fuel. He's sold a ton of them and is still in the irrigation engine business. I drove by there one day and there was a lot full of big block engines pretty close to his shop. That's been 15 years ago and I don't know if they were his or someone elses.
Larry T