View Full Version : ever have a hood fly open on ya?

49ratfink
07-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Ive had 2 hoods fly open. one in my Datsun truck after leaving Kragen Auto Parts to get some part I needed to look under the hood to see..

2nd one I was passenger. we were passing a big rig in Niles Canyon, that's a stupid ass thing to do, and the hood flys open on a datsun my friend just put the hood on and forgot to tighten all the bolts. we could have been seriously killed.

JohnEvans
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Kinda grabs yer attention don't it ??

49ratfink
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
yup

petebert
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
no.. but this winter i didnt feel like scraping the snow off of my 5th ave. so i'm driving around town and get up to 45 and the snow sheet on the hood comes up at me. since the snow was in the shape of the hood at first I thought oh shit my hood is about to hit the windshield . then it got vertical and broke apart and i realized it was just snow.

fatcaddi
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
had to drive home a car my buddy wrecked cause he was to messed up. so i had another friend follow me down the hill, i was coasting cause he put a hole in the oil pan so i was doing about 45 when it came up so i just camly stuck my head out the window and pulled over, the next i hear is my buddy following me just laughing histericly i thought it was funny too.

tfeverfred
07-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Memo to self: No Datsuns.

Deadbird
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Years ago, riding in my friend's 50 Chevy Deluxe. Definitely woke us up. He put the ole Chevy on her side later that night.

JD's 32
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Yea, me and my buddy were in his dads 56 buick one night when we were in our teens, we were coming through ft. worth late one night on the freeway, we had just passed what we called the mixmaster back then. We looked and didn't see any cops he opened it up and gaver all she had, man i think we was doing about 120 all of sudden all hell broke loose, now believe this or not, i dont know how but it tore that damn hood clean off, man we both looked like satan done reached in that car and grabbed us by the ass! Well it landed on the side of the road, i spent the night at his house because he was afraid his pops was going to kill him. Next morning he was kicking our ass because we did what everbody would do, we looked at it with him and said we didn't know what happend! Well we had to go retrieve the hood and that was the last ride in the buick!

DrJ
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Decades ago, I pulled what I thought was the vent knob on my Bro's Datsum 510 only to find out it was the hood release, and it didn't have a safety latch.
Hood smacked the roof, on the freeway.
I told him, he just shrugged and asked if it would still close..

Datsuns?

Was riding with a friend in his '55 Desoto back in highschool when the hood blew open.
I told him a piece of frayed hemp rope wouldn't last long as a hood hold down!

Gregger Rod & Custom
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Yup.

My daily is a 56 Ford Wagon. Just before crossing a river on a six lane highway the hood flies open obliterating my view.:eek: Can't see under it and there was no time to drop the window to stick my head out, since the road turns as it enters the bridge. So I drove by watching the road behind me, and the cars beside me. I managed to pull over but it friggin' freaked me out. Now all my cars have one of those secondary spike hood latches.

The wild thing is how fast it opens. You are completely unaware of the upward motion. One moment the hood is closed. then BAM... the view of the road is instantly gone.

speedtool
07-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Yup. My brother didn't close the hood on my Mom's '69 Falcon after giving someone a battery jump, and about 25MPH into a 30MPH gust - up it came. Bent the hood corners a little. She just drove it anyway. (this was in the early 70's)

Brad54
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
no.. but this winter i didnt feel like scraping the snow off of my 5th ave. so i'm driving around town and get up to 45 and the snow sheet on the hood comes up at me. since the snow was in the shape of the hood at first I thought oh shit my hood is about to hit the windshield . then it got vertical and broke apart and i realized it was just snow.
I had the same thing happen when I lived in Ohio, with my '72 Buick Centurion. The hood on that thing is something like 13 feet long. You could land helicopters on it. The snow went straight up in the air in one huge sheet, just like you described--WHITE, then it exploded. Was actually pretty cool.
Another time I came to a stop at an intersection, and the whole sheet of snow slid off and went sailing in one big mass out into the road. The air caught under it, it lifted up to about a 45 degree angle before crashing to the ground. Probably lucky nobody was coming.
After that, I took the time to wipe the snow off my hood.

But it was still neat to see.

-Brad

Mudslinger
07-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Friend of mine had his hood fly up on his 50 Ford getting on the highway. He ran up on a curb devider and ripped his oil pan off and broke the engine lose.
Bad day...

henry29
07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I was driving my 57 chevy home from work once when the hood flew up. After I got it stopped I got out to see what all I messed up, I noticed I had stopped in front of a fire station and all the firemen where sitting in there lawn chairs just watching me.

Tin Can
07-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Yea, my old shoebox hood came open on me once, scared the crap out of me

1LOWCHIEF
07-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Memo to self: No Datsuns.

I had that happen to me in my '69 Datsun 510. I wonder if Datsuns were known for this type of thing?

Midnight 50
07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm working on having myself one of these stories. I have the safety latch, but the main catch pin latch is gone. It's hanging on by a the hook. Good thing the speed limit around here is 45 max.

daddylama
07-28-2008, 01:33 AM
hmm. Datsun 110... hood flew open and flew off the car @ about 80mph. Must be something 'bout Datsuns :)
damnedest thing: 20 minutes of searching, couldn't find the damned hood.

'55 Plymouth... moments after driving from Vegas to LA, pulled up at my girlfriend's house, slammed on the brakes... and the hood flew off, landing in front of the car. no idea WTF happened to the bolts holding the hood to the hinges. she laughed so hard she literally pissed herself. the hood landed on a pigeon. couldn't have done that again if i tried 100 times.

finally, nearly 3 years ago... just bought a car, took the wife who was 9 months pregnant at the time, for a spin... she tells me to get on it... i step on the gas and the hood kisses the windshield.

piche582
07-28-2008, 01:46 AM
I remember sitting in front of a friend's house one day back in high school and this little crap box 80's compact car comes flying down the street and right in front of my friends house the hood flys open. Guy screeches to a stop, gets out, lets out a loud "f*ck", slams it closed and goes tearing ass outta there. He didn't even check if it was latched, just slammed it down and took off. Mean while we were in dying laughing the whole time.

JeffB2
07-28-2008, 01:53 AM
I was in High School in Champaign,Ill,I was driving down the road going about 60 when the hood on my '53 Ford flew up,did not break the windshield luckily but scared the crap out of me! Next day I went to a wrecking yard in Urbana,Ill and found a replacement hood,when I brought it up to the office to pay for it the news came over the radio that JFK had been shot,those days are something you don't forget.

Rodhotz
07-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Yep a few years after high school I was racing a friend of mine. I was in my 74 el camino,just put the motor in the day before and did not have the thing bolted to the hinges but it was on the latch and safety in place, and about 85 the thing comes off and flew into the air,I pulled over and the thing was still in the air then WHAM it hits the pavement on the left rear corner and rolled it up in a ball 5" in and stuck their!! man talk about lucky glad it was late at night and nobody else on the road that would have been real bad! learned from that one take if off now or make sure it is bolted on!!

29bowtie
07-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes, and guess what,it was driving a "Datsun 110"! Starting to see a trend here.:eek:

DocWatson
07-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Yup, had the bonnet pop open in my 38. Racing an Alfa down the Hume hwy at about 200kmh. Damn did it make some noise! Scared the crap out of me, almost tore the hood in two, bent the hinges, two BIG dents in the cowl and ruined the cowl vent. Put several serious dents in the roof two. Something (Still dunno what) flew off and hit the Alfa behind me. Stuck head out of window and pulled to a stop, got out, emptied pants.
Glad it didn't break the glass, but it did bend the windscreen frame. It sheered off the original hold down pin!! Had to drive a few hundred miles with what was left of the hood tied down with a toggle rope. To make things worse the fuel hardline cracked just before the fuel pump just on dark with 100km to go. It would only suck air unless I kept it up over 2000rpm.
Oh, yeah, then I lost a battery cable and learned that my alternator want working either. What a bitch of a drive that one was.
Doc.

James66g
07-28-2008, 03:26 AM
Wow sadly it wasnt a Datsun for me it was my Galaxie convert another 66 was taking an auto class and just finished sand blasting priminga nd repainting the stock air cleaner on my fe motor even found a 352 stock sticker all ugly orange with checkers andy way had my buddy with me and was just gonna tighten the wing nut when the shop teacher calls me back my buddy finished buttoning her up while i was talkin to the teach. Got in the car burning rubber leavin when BOOOM !!! up comes the hood had to crawl back tail between my legs and barrow the tools to htake it off tacoed the hinges and the bent one hood corner I cruised the rest of the sumer hoodless and topless! was kinda fun watchin that engine rock back and forth. On a good not my old man crawled under a row of black berry bushes and squirled a whole hood and both hinges and even a 500 xl grill he came across on the way home from a trip to oregon. looked like he losta knife fight with all the blood and scratches i walk outside new hood hinges and straight perfect grill .. he never did tell me how much or let me pay him back. I sure miss the old man.....

sik_kreations
07-28-2008, 03:29 AM
i had it happen in my prerunner truck. i was driving at glamis (for all the socal people) on the highway, not sand highway, the paved one. driving 60mph+ at night, hood flew up, BAM! luckly i was able to slow down and not go into on comming traffic (2 lane highway), not to mention on both sides it slopped down about 20 feet that is very steep, i would have rolled and rolled and rolled, lol.

Rich Venza
07-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Raymond Lowey designed a fantastic Stude in '53, but the guy assigned to do the hood latch must have been a FNG. Can't tell ya how many fiberglass hoods we sold over the years to customers who wrapped the steel one around the windshield after the latch popped open.

55 dude
07-28-2008, 06:09 AM
had a glass hood on a V8 vega fly off leaving the 4 pinned corners. wasn't until the next morning i realized it wasn't the headers leaking as to the reason it sounded louder. too much ......

Hackerbilt
07-28-2008, 06:21 AM
DATSUN 210 350sbc...twice but at a fairly low speed so no damage, but it was on a surface street with cars and kids around so it was still scary!
Can't blame the Nippon Engineers though...have to blame the dumbass who forgot the hoodpins were out! Twice.

Best I ever saw was a stock Pinto tearing down the highway. Hood popped and ripped completely off! Must have gone 50 feet in the air, tumbling end over end and then landed by the side of the road. He stopped, looked back and then drove away hoodless.

publicenemy1925
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I had a hard top blow of a 1954 corvette once. Wasn't pretty.

Bodacious
07-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Back when I raced dirt track, I was involved in an altercation early in a race that left the the left side of my hood loose and sticking up in my line of vision. Couldn't see shit going down the straightaway but when sliding through the corners I could see fine due to the angle of the car when sliding. I'd "aim" down the straight as I exited the corners and hope for the best. :D I finished the race.

Bigchuck
07-28-2008, 07:49 AM
When I was young and dumb in high school, I had a 68 Camaro (no mullet,btw) with a glass hood held on with a pin in each corner. On it's madien voyage it crapped out at an intersection. My buddy and I jumped out pulled the hood off and fixed the problem, a loose coil wire. Jumped back in before the light turned green and took off. A few seconds later, so did the hood. Forgot to put the hair pin retainers back in-DUH. It took off like a rocket. Looked in my rearview to see it was going to hit somebody else. Luckily for me nobody was back there. It busted a corner off, we put it back on and that was that. Had a pretty good laugh about it.

Truckedup
07-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah,a long time ago when I was in HS and a 56 Ford was nine years old.Managed to bend the hood back into place and rope it down.
Later that day it blew a fuel line,an underhood fire,flames coming in theough the rot holes,a lot of fun....

CharlieLed
07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I was drivin' my 55 Chevy down I75 in Cincinnati when the hood latch let go...hood flipped up in front of the windshield obstructing my view, for what seemed to be a LONG time, then blew back over the roof. A guy on a motorcycle behind me narrowly missed the hood as he swerved at the last minute. Scary for all...

crashfarmer
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
69 F100 on a two lane road late at night. It wakes you up! I just stopped, shut the hood and went home. After that I put hood pins on it.

A buddy of mine had a Datsun pickup. His hood never flew off but one day he opened the door and it fell off.

bulletproof1
07-28-2008, 08:24 AM
had one come open on my 73 camaro. broke the windshield.bent the corners of the hood up.trashed the hinges.never put a hood back on that car.

unclescooby
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
I had just finished a two year restoration on a 1967 Cougar with a 390 4-speed. It was a no option car that just wanted to go fast. I built the hell out of the engine and it had what I was told by Edelbrock to be the third set of aluminum heads for an FE that they had made. It screamed. The very first drive... I babied it around the neighborhood for about ten minutes and then finally pulled out on the main road. I dumped the clutch and the car kicked sideways and roared to life, I grabbed a big handful of second gear and it hooked and launched straight...but the hood flew open at the same time and suddenly I couldn't see anything at all. It cracked the windshield, dented the front of the roof, ripped the hood hinges right through the inner fender aprons, and cracked my GTE hoodscoop. It was an expensive little trip. I rebuilt the car but added front hood pins.

Flat Ernie
07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Raymond Lowey designed a fantastic Stude in '53, but the guy assigned to do the hood latch must have been a FNG. Can't tell ya how many fiberglass hoods we sold over the years to customers who wrapped the steel one around the windshield after the latch popped open.

Yep - read my saga from last summer here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198653

Ramblur
07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Yep,teenager in a 67 Jeepster Commando. You know,the old external
T-handle latches. External hinges too with a slot and corresponding
flats on the pins. Had just jump started somebody and never latched
it. Neat thing was as quick as it came up it completely detatched and
I watched in the rear view as it landed,spinning in circles on the snow
covered road and two cars behind me trying to avoid it. By the time
I looked back ahead I was shocked to see my mother coming from the
other direction :eek:. She drove by doing her best to act like she didn't
even know me. Amazingly very little damage, the hood went right back
on save for the one corner that had about 2" folded under. Caught hell
at home though.

23 bucket-t
07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
no.. but this winter i didnt feel like scraping the snow off of my 5th ave. so i'm driving around town and get up to 45 and the snow sheet on the hood comes up at me. since the snow was in the shape of the hood at first I thought oh shit my hood is about to hit the windshield . then it got vertical and broke apart and i realized it was just snow. same thing happened to me about 20 yrs ago. scared the crap out of me. :D

patrick2965
07-28-2008, 08:56 AM
1965 Chevy pickup, 80 mph on I-430, 6 pm, should have been in the middle of afternoon cluster traffic. Luckily I was by myself in the left lane, nobody close at all. I didn't hang my head out the side window until I was ready to pull over onto the median grass, didn't panic at all. My dumbass fault because the hood latch failed and the safety catch missed. Those were replaced along with the hood.

George
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Not when I was driving. When I was 1st-2nd grade my Mom stopped @ a full service station in Perry, Fl. The attendand didn't latch the hood on her brand new '65 Galaxie & it came up shortly after pulling out. I rolled down the window & told her when it was clear of mailboxes to pull over. Don't remember being any damage.

g-lover51
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I had just finished rebuilding the brakes on my 51 and figured I would take it out for a quick spin to see how it drove and stopped. Well being the brilliant man that I am I forgot before I took off that I did tie the hood down, becuase I did not have a grill in it yet. As I tunred arround to come back home I spedup over the hill by my house and as I came over it the wind blew my hood up and folded it over the roof caving in the windshield. I found out my brakes worked perfectly as I slammed my foot down on the pedal to come to a screeching halt with my head now sticking out the drivers window. I drove it home in shame as my wife looked on from the porch with a questioning look as to what was wrong with my car. It did quite a bit of damage but luckily I was not hurt and no one else was hurt. Just a new windshield, center post, and a couple of dents to be fixed is all.

Leadsled51
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Almost hate to admit to this one, I had just put the windshield in my 50
Chev, and if anyone has done this, and knows what a pain in the ass that is. A friend of mine came over and I thought I would take him for a "ride"!! The hood was on, but I had not put the latch on yet.....I figured, I'm only going down my side street, It will be ok. Yea right. I got about 200 feet down the road and it was like slow motion. We both hollered "holy shit" about the same time it flew up and smashed that nice new windshield. Funny now, but it was not funny then.

P.S. At the Dragway 42 Rock and Race, there was a 70ish Chevelle that must have forgot to put his hood pins in, and it came up about 1/8 mile! And he won the race! The other guy red lighted!!

Rocky
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
55 pontiac...twice

rstanberry
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Been paranoid of this since junior high when my buds 47' chevy hood flew up. Made a heck of a mess. My high tech solution now is a piece of lite chain and hooks. Not too pretty but sure gives some piece of mind!!

gas4blood
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Here's the 3rd one for a '56 Ford, my old black beauty Victoria in high school. Going down the road too fast, and instant blackout with a loud bang. It is scary, I was able to pull over by looking out the driver's window that was already down. Ruined the hood and hinges. After that I had a blue hood on my black car for a while, then the brakes went out and I had a red hood and right fender. I went off to school and Dad sold it to the scrap yard for $15. Ran good with some mods to the engine, etc. He couldn't understand why I refused the $15 he handed me. :rolleyes: "Son, it was junk, fender and hood not matching the car and no front bumper!" He left it on the counter, and about two weeks later I figured it was better than nothing, but by then one of my brothers had "borrowed" it, so I got nothing at all. Ahhh, the good old days....

36tbird
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Just graduated high school in '68 and had a date with a gal a bit above my social strata. I should have known there was going to be trouble that night. When I showed in my '50 Ford club coupe to pick her up, her mother met me at the door. After she let me in, she stood there looking out front. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "You know it's Saturday nite and I could have sworn I heard a garbage truck." I said, "No ma'am, that's was my car."

My date showed up all dressed up with her hair piled on top of her head in one of those '60's styles. This becomes significant later.

After the movie, I was taking her downtown in San Antonio to Earl Abel's Restaurant. Hauling down I-35 a 'vette soon passed me like I was standing still then he backed down to taunt me. I wound the flathead up the tightest I had ever had it and got scared as the speedo was passing through 90 and everything started shaking. As I am easing up slowing through 80, the lights go out as the hood blew up, stayed on the hinges and curtained the windshield. I stuck my head out the window to stay in my lane but from that perspective, I tended to close up on the center stripe. My date stuck her head out her window and the hair piled on top the head immediately flew into the air stream. From her perspective, she thought I was too far left so she was screaming at me to come right. I screamed back that we were OK. I coasted off the next off ramp and found a place to un-curl my hood off the windshield.

I've always wondered how the guy in the 'vette stayed on the road behind me. He must have been laughing his ass off.

lewislynn
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Between Carson City and Reno on a divided 4 lane in a 72 F100 4X4. It didn't come off, it wrapped around the roof but didn't break the windshield. It was bent about 45 degrees and those hoods aren't flat, they're dished.

I went on in to Reno, went to the Ford dealer to order a new hood and they had one in stock. I went over to my folks place and my dad helped me put the new one on.

kopis
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Yup! I was in my buddys '51 Chevy Truck. That thing came outta nowhere!!!

Mazooma1
07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
No. But one time I did walk around in da hood with my fly open...

el lunchetto
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I work in a shop and my customer asked me to drive there car to listen to a noise.I was doin about 50 mph when the hood fliped up smashed the windsheild and bent the hood .

Truckedup
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
No. But one time I did walk around in da hood with my fly open...

More information than we need to know:o

FritzJr
07-28-2008, 12:13 PM
My bride was driving the '64 Galaxie while I was riding shotgun and reading the newspaper. We were doing about 70 mph on the DC Beltway with typical traffic. Suddenly she says, " I think we have a problem!" I look up to see nothing but hood. She did a good job of mainting speed and bringing the car to the shoulder.
The sheet metal around the hinges had nearly torn out. I barehandedly ripped the bent hood off from the remaining remants and tossed it over the guardrail. We said a prayer of thanks, safely merged back into traffic, and were back on our way.

Silhouettes 57
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Saw one a couple week-ends ago out at the Dragway 42 Nostalgic Drags out on the strip. Can't remember what kind of car it was but my guess the guy had to change his shorts when he hit the pits.

Shifty Shifterton
07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Lol, I have a car with 2 twenty year old dings in the cowl. The last place the original hood touched before lauching into the air. The safety catch is not a primary latch folks!

hotrodjohnny77
07-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Why were you in a Datsun?

signal_11
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I had almost the same thing happen. My first car was a '77 Olds Cutlass Supreme and it had a pretty large and long hood. Where I grew up, our winter temperatures varied a lot. We'd had a bit of a melt the night before, but it had cooled off in the morning. I managed to scrape the ice off the windshield, but noticed that the entire hood was covered in an ice sheet about one inch thick. I didn't want to damage the paint, and figured the heat of the engine would melt it off.

A few minutes later, going down a big hill on a freeway, the entire chunk of ice swings up and blinds me as I'm doing about 60 miles an hour. I just pointed the car straight and took my foot off the gas. The sheet fluttered a bit and flew away. I saw it come down behind me in my rear view mirror a few seconds later, but a bus was barreling along in that lane and it hit the front of the bus. It must have been several feet in length and a little less in width. The bus slowed down as the ice shattered all over the windshield. When I saw the wipers come on the bus and they started picking up speed, I got the hell out of there. :eek:

I've had it happen with old farm trucks when I was a kid - cruising down a secondary highway on a hot afternoon and bang! Instant blindness. Buddy and I stick our heads out the window to see and eat a few bugs, slow down, pull over, grab some tools and baler twine from the back, get it secured and home, and act twice as surprised as everyone else when it's "discovered". We were usually getting in trouble for siphoning gas from all the vehicles in the yard for minibikes, or playing tag on the barn roof or some other foolishness, so getting in trouble for something we couldn't help was a welcome change. :)

luvzccr
07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
last year i was drivin my 58 ford to work, going down the main road, and the hood opens the other way, not from the front, but from the windshield. guess i didnt shut it all the way and halfway to work up it goes. scared the crap out of me!

RoadkillCustoms
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Yah, been there...1983 Pontiac Gran Prix, just finished as a Grand national, on the maiden voyage. Hood flew open on the freeway and not only f*&cked up the hood but slapped a nice dent in my freshly painted roof too. What a dip-shit...

Big Mac
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
really LOW '54 Chev- 90+ mph- Dark street w/no street lights- German Shephard runs out on the street- Dog hits car grill- Dog goes UNDER car (somehow!?!?!)- Hood flies open and smashes windshield, hood, fenders, etc....

That got my blood going! When I pulled the front clip off the car to start the work, there was about half a dog ear stuck to my radiator. This was years ago and I still find hairy chunks of German Shephard here and there...

49ratfink
07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Why were you in a Datsun?

those little 70's datsun trucks were tough. had a 73 with a 1979 2.0 with a 5 speed and a weber carb. got 26 mpg consistantly. hauled all sorts of junk all over the place, flat towed more cars around than I care to admit. I'd like to get another one.

sucky thing about that hood was I had it punched full of louvers. hood was junk but I still have the louvers out of it and put a few in the dash of my 49 chevy coupe.

Joe T Creep
07-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Ype. Driving my friends 49 Ford. -gulp- Amazingly- it flew up, bent back and didnt hit the windshield or the roof!!!!!! didnt even bend the hinges. going about 50 on a street. whew. exciting.

39 Ford
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Had it happen twice, once in my 39 Ford, and another time in a GMC van. With the van we were on an interstate going 75 at 2:00AM when we were suddenly blinded, got to the side of the road with no shoulder and took the hood off with semi's passing inch's away .

your wheelbase is how big
07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
yep spent all day recomisioning a volvo 240 for a customer test drive and bang hood corners bent wings damaged roof dented

and another time me and a friend racing along a side street him in a mini me in a panel vanbehind about sixty all of a sudden theres sparks flying everywhere and the mini is stopping real quick so i stand on the brake with both feet and just manage to stop . i get out of the van and walk to his drivers window what the fuck was that about is say he says wheres the bonnet i say what fuckin bonnet(im seriously pissed at this point) he says the bonnet off my car is gone i say did someone steal it he says no it was there when we started off now im thinkin what is he talkin about and look at the car and no bonnet i think sparks hmmmm look under the car there it is firmly weged under the subframe he says it started to lift at speed so he jabbed the brake and the thing slid off the front of the car and he runs it over then we both lofao

Old wolf
07-28-2008, 05:53 PM
I had a 56 ford htp with a 390 4 speed blew two completly off ripped the hood from the rear sheet metal that the hinges bolt too. I put hood pins on the third one. That car was the one that made me prefer a post to a hardtop too darn much wind noise at over 100 MPH:eek: OldWolf

Gabby
07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
My uncle had placed the hood back on his 49 ford without bolting the rear hinges. Only thing holding hood was the front latch. When the wind got under the hood it ends up in the overhead power lines.

LowKat
07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds like datsuns and shoeboxes are cronic hood floppers

It happened to me in a '56 Chev...

ArtGeco
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I had my trunk break loose and smash my windshield in.

It was a beetle, true story.

Prop Strike
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
A volkaswagon rabbit I had scared me one night. I left the bungy cord we fixed it with on there and it gave the sensation of doing a wheely when you got up to speed. Changed the windshield, but never did fix the hood. When I sold the car I gave the guy a fresh bungy cord.

prl98
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
One time. customers bmw. I had to remove the secodnary catch to remove the grill in order to fix where it was damaged(hood). lowered the hood,but not all the way, and went to the paint store. Hood flys up a half a block from shop smashes windshield and bends the hood corners at a 90 degree angle saved the hood owner was cool about the windshield, he turned it into his insurance and I paid the deductable.

buckeye_01
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I just hit the MPH lights when hood on my 63 laid back. The track lights stopped right at the ET lights too. It was at night, and I was running a slower car too. Guy said he seen a spark come off the ground. The security guard brought me my spring later that night. I had an oil pressure gauge on the cowl, and it ended up ripping the hood off the hinge on my side, and I had a small sliver to see out of. I was only going about 120 when it happened. Scary shit.

MCINK
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh, yeah... On one of my stupid tricks to pull, I was driving my 1958 Chevy Yeoman wagon (yes a 2 door wagon) after replacing my umpteenth hanger bearing.

Driving around with the frt bumper and grille out of it, didnt have a real good hood latch either... Was running it through the quarter mile north of town, on borrowed slicks and open headers, cuz i could...

decided to leg it out to town after the 1/4 mile was done, only had another mile to go, and the hood flew up, broke the windshield, smashed in the roof, and disappeared... i was going about 110 at the time, by the time i got the manual drum brake 2 ton bessie stopped and turned around, i had lost where it flew off.

it was early august, and the corn and bean fields were up pretty high at the time,
never did find the hood.

someone probably got an unpleasant surprise in his combine at harvest..,
a couple months later...

old wood 51
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Had the front hood (trunk lid) on my 56 bug fly open, smashed the windshield ,dented the roof, and the left side where the hood prop was attached to the hood and the body the hood tore apart, bent the crap outta the hinges and all the junk i had in the trunk ;clothes, papers, and misc. flew all over the highway instantly.... slowed down real quick pulled off the road, bent the hood back, pushed the shattered windshield out tied the handle to the bumper and drove it home.

Silent_Orchestra
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Well only one hood blow off here... I had my '57 F750 Big Job out on a test drive....I was cruisin' along at 60mph hood flew open smashed the windshield in, put a dent in the roof while it was at too. Where the hood latch mounted was all rusted out...didn't think nothin' of it at the moment.... The next two made me laugh....

My uncle had just finished his '56 F100, it had a tilt front end...the works...He was pulling out of the shop and didn't see grandpa coming from the side on my dads 2010 John Deere Crawler...He also forgot to hook up his hood latches...the hood flips open smashes on the ground...And get ran over by an extremely heavy crawler tractor and smashed back into a piece of flat sheet....

The next one was on my lawnmower on saturday...I filled the tank up and went back to mowing...I was going down a bank a little to fast and tapped the brake...The unlatched 'glass hood comes off and goes rolling down the hill, hits a tree and almost splits in half. But now the mower gets alot more air into the engine....

Spud
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I drive truck, I was pulling up to the tollgate on the PA pike hit the brake and the tilted forward. Volvo inside hood latch with no safety latch. How that passes safety standards on a new truck is beyond me.

OL 55
07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I was 15 at the time, I had just put my punched out 283 (301) SBC in my 55 and I was doing hole shots up my parents driveway. On about the third one, my front tires rolled ever so gently over the sidewalk and onto the street....... it was the first time me and my OL 55 had actually been on the street !! Well I thought "what harm could it do to take a little ride"? Never mind the fact that neither myself or the 55 was licensed! I looked one way and then the other. No one in sight, so I eased her out on the road. That's when it happened, something came over me and I punched it! Ran it up to about 5 grand and shifted hard. That's when I noticed the hood jump up and at that exact moment I remembered that I didn't have the grill back in the car yet (no grill, nothing for the hood to latch onto) so I hit the brakes hard......but it was too late. The hood came up and landed on the windshield. Luckily I was close to home and other than pulling the anchors out of the hood and bruising my ego, there was no real damage.:(:)

Insane 1
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Had a Mark VIII a couple of years ago, and not long after I bought I thought I would get on it, and see what it would do about 11 o'clock one night.

Going about 60 I punched it (thoses damn cars are fast) in no time I was at about 110, and suddenly something went over the windshield and scared the crap out of me. I eased up in the seat to look at the hood cause you cant see the front end of those cars when driving, and the hood appeared to still be there, but I pulled over and got out to look at the front of the car, and thats when I noticed that the hood had separated (factory fiberglass hoods) and just the top part came off while the bottom was still shut and latched.

jdhlurch
07-28-2008, 11:49 PM
yup, after a long day and most of the evening at work I was driving with one eye open trying to make it home and the hood on my Dakota flipped up and folded around the cab of the truck. Not going fast enough to rip it off but fast enough to smash the windshield.
Pulled over, removed hood, both eyes wide open the rest of the way home:eek:!!!

chopt49
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
The reason my '49 is chopped.... hood flew open... smashed windshield, had to chop it.

True story.

HOT40ROD
07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Had that happen on a 68 mustang at the track. It happen at half track. The hood came up all I seen was blue then a second later I could see the track again. The hood left the car. Forgot to put the hood pins in. Talk about a pucker factor.

The hood was junk.

Movinman
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Twice. Once in my buddies 69 442, and another time in my 68 Roadrunner. The hood on the Roadrunner bent at the corners because I wasn't going that fast. The 442 though, that was a bad deal. We had just finished putting a new motor into his car, and he wanted to test drive it. We placed the hood on the car without the hinges, and locked it down. The car ran great, so we took it out onto the highway. We were scooting along at a nice pace, when the hood just took off on us. That sucker had to have sailed 30 feet into the air before landing on the interstate. Fortunately, it was 1am, and highway travel was light. We pulled to the shoulder and ran back to the hood, only to find it damaged beyond repair. This happened about 24 years ago, and it was a lesson I will never forget. Before any car leaves the garage, the hood is securely fastened to the hinges!

gold5000000
02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
nothing like going blind at 60 mph

Red Ryder
02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Only once, when some idiot forgot to replace the hood pins after checking the oil on my Triumph TR3B Roadster. The idiot was chewed out about it, and I never did it again. :(

cruzingratiot
02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
1950 chrysler windsor no hood hinges heavy hood wont fly off ?
drove it like that for a year than it lifted in the rear
and somehow ended up under the front tire
ww tires about 25 years ago

Paul Jug

prime mover
02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Had the hood fly open in my 59 a few times, good thing it opens backwards!

kenseth17
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
yes, on my 89 ford truck about 5 or 6 years ago. Was heading home on the highway probably doing 70, after a night of drinking. Scared the sheet out of you when you are going highway speed and then all you see is hood, but managed to pull over to the shoulder. Latch must have been worn out. Thankfully the highway was pretty deserted. The visor stopped it from hitting the windshield.
Didn't want to stick around too long on the side of the road that time of night after drinking (that was back when I was still stupid and doing the drinking and driving thing, and I already had 2 owi's). Somehow I force it down with bent hinges and it hitting the cowl and tie it down and get home. Ran around with it tied down with a piece of wire till I parked it.
Now am starting to work on trying to get the truck going again thats been sitting broke down for years, and if I ever get that far I will have to replace the latch and have hood alignment and some bodywork to do.

alfredfromchicago
02-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Once while out fishing with my bro-in law, the weather changed for the worse, and we hightailed it back to my 81 cutlass, threw the t-tops on and hit the highway. I had forgot to lock em and about a mile down the road doing 80mph or so the passenger side ripped off, high speed with a huge vacume woosh!!! My bro-in law thought he was gonna be sucked outta the car with it! I looked back to see it flipping through the sky like a playing card about a hundred feet in the air till it came down and shattered. Needless to say I drove the cutlass through the winter for the next 6 months 1/2 topless!!! The car had good heat....

THE ONE
02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I had it happen a couple months ago on my 68 chevelle. I was taking it around the block and with all the excitment of getting the new motor running I forgot the hood pins. Coming up my block I got on it and the hood blew off and up about 20 feet in the air. As I looked in my mirror I saw the hood float down like a peice of paper in the wind and land flat right side up without a scratch. This was a very good thing because the hood was a new $450 fiberglass harwood cowl induction hood. I will never make that mistake again.

31whitey
02-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I got locked out of my truck last summer, while I was loading up....dogs were already inside.
Its was hot as hell that day so I freeked...
Sun roof was already broke and stuck in the up(vent)position....so it got ripped off.
A little black duct tape and well good to go...Till......
I got locked out again...pulled the duct tape and climbed in.
Forgot the duct tape and got rolling.....wooosh....
Just got it back yesterday...Chrysler paid the bill....must have had some recall or something.

61TBird
02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I had it happen a couple months ago on my 68 chevelle. I was taking it around the block and with all the excitment of getting the new motor running I forgot the hood pins. Coming up my block I got on it and the hood blew off and up about 20 feet in the air. As I looked in my mirror I saw the hood float down like a peice of paper in the wind and land flat right side up without a scratch. This was a very good thing because the hood was a new $450 fiberglass harwood cowl induction hood. I will never make that mistake again.

I had the stock hood of my '68 Malibu pop open on me!
I was leaving a gas station and didn't close it all the way,get about a block away at about 30 mph WHAM up it goes.
I did the old look below the hood trick and pull over.
It's definitely one thing you want to happen ONLY once!

Billa212
02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Making a run through Virginia on a suspended license. 54.99 mph (limit 55) and hood hood on my freshly completed '78 Bronco flew up past the point of no return and smashed into the windshield. Police stopped to "help". Luckily my buddy was following me, he distracted John Q, I used my belt to hold the hood down and bailed.
1986 Dodge Diplomat (perhaps the coolest car a 16 year old could own): It snowed about six inches, I cleared the windshield but not the roof. The first time I hit the brakes the whole snow roof slid forward. The wipers couldn't handle it...

thrasher
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
i had the hood on my 81 bmw fly up when i got hit by the gust from a semi doing 70, the hood is reverse hinged so i just pulled over and latched it again with no damage done.
also i had the hood in my 67 impala come up and fold over my roof. it did a bunch of damage to the roof but the windshield wasn't broke. then about a week later someone put a tire iron through my windshield.

R.Otto
02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I was driving home on the highway from failing inspection in my winter beater(slammed 85 toyota p.u.) and as i watched the speedo touch the 65 mark the hood slams up against the windshield so i swerve it to the right almost taking out a retirement village sign it turns out the guy who did the emmision inspection didnt fully shut the hood. It only bent one windshield wiper no other damage.

36cab
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
When I first got my driver's license, my dad bought a 69 Mustang fastback because he wanted the top loader 4-speed out of it. The car was about 30 miles from our house down a state highway. He had me steer it while he pulled it home on a chain. He decides that the smart thing to do would be to pull me at 60 mph. About half way home the hood flys open and lays back on the now busted windshield. I can't see so I hang my head out of the side window and try to keep it on the road. I am weaving back and forth and pumping the dead brakes trying to get my dad's attention that I have a big problem back heee but he keeps going. We finally get to town and come to the first stop sign. He jumps out of his truck and walks back to see how I am doing. I ask him if he saw me weaving back and forth for the last 15 miles trying to get his attention. He laughs and says "yeah, I saw you. Pretty exciting ride for you, wasn't it?". He had my younger brother also steer a chained car home when he first got his license. It was a 2 hour pull down Interstae 80, Des Moines to Cedar Rapids. The man was a nut but he sure ws fun to be around.

c57heaven
02-14-2009, 07:40 PM
for that reason here is a photo I saved to cure that problem on a tri five.

TIMMY P
02-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I had a 73 camaro about 12 years ago. She was a pretty good runner. Went by a friends house one day to show off. Left the stop sign hard, banged her into second, hit third gear just before his house, when I noticed the hood shaking a little. Lokked to my left and saw the 4 hood pins that hold the fiberglass hood hanging from the door lock. That thing launched off the car like it had rockets attached to it. I had to be doing 80, I got slowed down in time to see it land in the grass. I turned around, went back and put it on and drove away while my buddy and his neighbor were standing out front laughing hysterically.

Chrome Streamliner
02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Years ago at Aquasco(Md.) dragway, I had a 56 Ford,312 Y block w/3 2's and fender well headers, I had radiused the rear wheelwells, had 9:50X15 bias ply whitewalls on the rear, a mailbox hoodscoop,no front bumper, sort of the poor man's gasser look. Since I had cut the wheelwells, I had to run in the Gas class! The car was a real slug and on My first run,I had to run Bob Bernadon's "Jolly Dolly" which was a first class C/G 39 Chevy coupe. He left hard and I slowly pulled away, as I was at half track, My hood flew up, bent back over the roof, not being able to see very well, I slowly went to the end of the track and up the return road as the fans laughed they're butts off! Bob came over later and introduced Himself and said He was sorry to see that happen, I left the hood at Aquasco and drove hoom hoodless. Many years later,I ran into Bob at a car show and He still remembered our first meeting!

no55mad
02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Had a sister in law that bought a new 67 Mustang. She was blasting down the freeway and the hood came open and was ripped right off the hinges. She said she never slowed down - must have been a sale going on somewhere. That must have been interesting for the traffic behind dodging that hood :eek:

KreaturesCCaustin
02-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Happened to me in my sister's MG Midget back in about 1980. My buddy Kevin and I were haulin' up I-435 in KC in the fast lane, guard rail on the left and a tractor-trailer on the right. We had the top down, just minding our own business when WHAP! The hood flew up, hit the windshield, folded backward and bonked Kevin on top of the noggin. After a brief bout with sudden onset diarrhea, I poked my head out the side and got us past the bridge and into the center median. Thankfully, my sister had some bungee cords in her trunk. We strapped it down and headed back home to put some ice on Kevin's bean. I'd really rather not do that again any time soon. Hahaa.

CapeCodBob
02-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Very popular on 55-56 fords, that's why they went to tip open hoods in 57-59 I think.

WQ59B
02-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Replacing the center nosepiece on my '64 GP, took it down the road forgetting the hood latch wasn't back in (I was like 20). Hood popped up and both springs shot out to each side. Luckily, the hood wasn't damaged in the least & I found both springs in either ditch.

Raven53
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I was in a 55 chevy as a kid about 12 I guess. The kid had just put the engine in the car we were test driving it.The hood was sit on with out the hinges bolted in the back. It flew up and hit the roof the hood ornament sliced the roof like a can opener..wasn't a pretty sight. Left it lay along the road went back in a pickup and got what was left.

jerry sezar
02-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Don't have a hood on my '28 rdstr, none on the '34 Vicky, '26 T 5W don't.......Had one on one of my racecars. Front hoodpins failed at Antioch Speedway (dirt track)in the late '80's and the hood ended up across the windscreen.......finished race because at speed your generally crossed-up looking thru the passenger window...got my ass chewed for running under a black flag. Building a '56 Ford 4dr Blown Hemi NO HOOD!

Guitar Guy
02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
this reminds me of that part in tommy boy!!

moon.dog62
02-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Yup , my buddy had just got a mk1 cortina for a parts car and we thought we had better take it round the block. there was no fuel tank so i pulled the fuel line from the under side of the car back up thru the engine bay and put the hose in a jerry can in the passenger seat. the bonnet wasnt closed properly because of the fuel line. we went round the block and up came the bonnet. Stupid fucking thing to do but i was just a kid. you live and learn!

Matt Jones
02-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Hmmm... happened to me about 6 months ago with my 65 Caddy. Bonnet (hood) is so heavy it sits all the way down even if not latched. Got to about 25 30 mph and ...blackout... Came all the way up, popped the springs and came back down. I felt very lucky the rest of the way home. But fuck... a Caddy hood is heavy without any mechanical assistance.

Heard a few Datsun stories too...

Von Rigg Fink
02-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Nope..never have..
Hope i never do

zorch
02-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Back in 73 in San Luis Obispo California, I was living on a farm off Los Osos Road, as I recall. Was newlywed married for the first time. I had a motorcycle and a '59 Ford pickup, the first 4-wheeled vehicle I ever owned. My new 18 year old wife needed a car too, and to my disappointment refused a '36 Graham Paige wiht a hotrod Olds engine. It was $300, which was a lot for us.

Economy and a desire to look like a cowgirl firected my wife to get all excited about a total POS 53 GMC truck--flat black, with a 56 bed and rear fenders.

I hated that truck from day one. No room inside, and the doors rattled in their frames like dice in a cup. In the rain there was a geyser up through the emergency brake hole in the floor. Vacuum wipers. Six boring, smoky cylinders. Hated that truck.

Nonetheless--and why we didn't take mine I'll never know--we drove that thing up to Santa Cruz and back three times. We deserved medals.

But it was on grocery runs, twice, at 55 mph, that the hood opened up on me. Both times I saw it tremble and quiver menacingly and I hit the brakes but it was too late. First time it popped almost straight up and creased the stainless between the windshields. The second time it hit the same crease of course and cracked both front pieces of glass.

I hated that truck. And loved my '59 Ford. I wish I still had the Ford and remain unimpressed by chevy/GMC trucks of that era.

Hey, there's an ass for every seat and mine just stays out of those pickups:D.

FANTASY FACTORY
02-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Oh Yea, i am familiar with the technique...
http://i40.tinypic.com/14ncpax.jpg

gary terhaar
02-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Oh Yea, i am familiar with the technique...
http://i40.tinypic.com/14ncpax.jpg
Im thinking hampton raceway circa 1986 or so

yoyodyne
02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
A customer had a 69 Camaro Super Pro car with a snorkel scoop on the hood. He checked the engine on the return road, put only the 2 rear pins back in. up to speed, hood flipped up and put the snorkel through the windshield. :rolleyes:
That guy did a lot of dumbass stuff like that.

Just so you know, forward opening hoods fly up too. My Jag XJS w/a 454 opens to the front, the latch needs to be locked by hand after the hood is lowered. I didn't do that one day, and took off up the road. Air pressure built up under the hood and it opened about 35-40 mph just as I rounded a corner. The rear edge of the hood raised just high enough that I couldn't see over it at all. Putting on the brakes made it go all the way up and I didn't want to bend up the hood or hinges so I had to lay off the brakes and coast down until the hood slammed down again. Only did that once.:D

bigern007
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
OH YEH,many years ago.....52 Merc hardtop. No severe damage

Ernie:o

60srailjob
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
YES on a 75 Pinto doing around 70 75......not a good deal and I was 19 or 20 not good either not that now I could do better..........but no wreck......just a mess up hood and top..

MrHernandez81
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
last summer just dropped the new 350 in the cutlass and got everything hooked up so of course was excited to take it down the road, well apparently the latch didnt latch and got to about 35 and the hood comes flying up and the springs bent backwards, luckily the windshield didnt break but sure scared the shit outta me

second_time_around
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
lol @ 60'srailjob = a Pinto that would do 70 to 75 mph anyways Mines not hamb frindly but had a Geo metro in 2001 little car 3 cyl , great gas millage , anyways moved to Missouri and was headed down the back road one day and hood flew up scared the crap outta me it Buckled the hood smashed the windsheild and dented the top . took it home ,doors came off and Boom I had a woods car . took it to the woods got stuck on the road leading to the gravel cory had some TNT well you know it's just stuff you keep laying around in your tool box incase ya need it , anyways BOOM Geo went to heaven

56don
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I had one on a 56 Ford fly up and bend back on me.Luckily I was only going about 30.I saw a Caddy on the interstate one day have the hood fly up,peel back and then fly completely off.It sailed over the car behind him and landed on the windshield of the second car back.Sometimes, bad luck just has your name on it........

billandlori
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
A buddy had his hood fly up on his 69 Camaro Stocker. Going through the top end...BAM. Wrapped the hood right over the top of the roof.

Turns out it was the zip ties that hold trans coolers to the rad. He hadn't trimmed the ends off adn one end was poking into the latch mechanism. Cost a few bucks to fix that one!!

Bill

Kentuckian
01-15-2010, 05:45 PM
In the latter part of the 60's a friend had a '55 Nomad with a built 327 and 4-speed. We decided it would be cool to give it the gasser look. Off comes the front bumper and all the other parts below the grill. That evening at about 6500 in second gear the hood decides it does not want to remain a part of the car anymore. About the time the hood launched (without damaging the windshield or roof), I stuck my head out the passenger side window and watched it sail probably 100 ft in the air. The landing was not pretty so a trip to the junkyard for another hood the next day was in order.

The big question was what made the hood decide to depart in the first place? It seems that the hood mechanism latches on a brace behind the grill. However when you remove all the pieces below the grill to get the "gasser" look, you also leave the bottom of the brace behind the grill free to move around. That brace moving around allows the hood latch to work its way free. Viola...the hood becomes a flying saucer or something very similar.

magsnubby
01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Kinda grabs yer attention don't it ??

Yes it does. Especially if you're on a two lane country road with oncoming traffic.

It's happened to me three times.

Back in the day when i was into mini trucks i had a '71 Datsun truck with a bent up hood. Seems like every yard that had old Datsuns had bent up hoods. Hmmmm......I found out why one day while coming home from work on a two lane country road. I'm cruising along about 60 when the hood let go. Luckily there was no traffic behing me so i got it stopped pretty easy. I grabbed some extra wire i had in the tool box and wired the hood shut and drove home very carefully. The next day i found another hood. On the way home i stopped at Pep Boys and bought some hood pins. That's why old Datsuns have bent up hoods.

The second time was after i wrecked my daughters Mustang on the freeway. I pried the hood open to make sure the radiator wasn't leaking so i could drive it home. I found some old wire beside the freeway, wired the hood shut and limped it to the next offramp. The CHP thought my redneck fix was funny but the tow truck driver just shook his head. About three blocks from home the wire let go and the hood flew up and broke the windshield. No big deal. The insurance appraiser just added it onto the appraisal. Guess i should have used stronger wire.

Number three was in my jeep. I was checking the fluids, lowered the hood and the phone rang before i hooked the side hood latches back. Later i jumped into it and headed out to put gas in it. I hit about 40 and the hood flew up breaking the windshield and putting a couple nice big dents in the hood. After that expensive little lesson i always glanced at the hood latches everytime i got ready to drive it.

geemann51
01-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh my favorite subject :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/geemann51/GMANHood.jpg

Flavaj, Mrs Eighmy, and Nick79 asessing the aftermath of a 70 mph wake up call..

Public Service Announcement: Double check the welds on your hood pins, espescially if you didn't do em'

Iluvnos
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
While driving my 63 Fairlane 500 the hood flew open, luckily I was not too far from the house. I got out and put the hood down and SLOWLY drove back through the neighborhoods back to the house. Pulled into the garage grabbed tome 2x4's wedged them under the hood and then GENTLY bent the hood back into shape. It is not perfect but It closes again and opens fine. I bought a set of hood pins with lanyards and will be putting them on so this does not happen again.

D-fens
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Back in high school I bought a brand-new fiberglass L88 hood for my V8 Vega.

About a week (or less :confused:) it took off during an "acceleration contest" on a local back road. Witnesses said it was still gaining altitude when it went into the trees. You know the pic of the funny car body about 200ft in the air? Like that.

Looked all over the place but never found my hood. Last seen in the vicinity of Lower River Rd, (Douglasville GA) just before the bridge. It's probably still out in those woods somewhere. Happy hunting.

Scotty500
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I just ran out of gas on the off ramp of the intersate and coasted into a gas station, being at said gas station I check the oil of my 61 Fairlane 500, shut the hood and was on my way. Half way down the on ramp up came the hood for about a second and snap up it went into the wild blue wonder, I stopped the car and got out before the hood hit the ground about 5 ft in front of another car. Some guy going the other way went down to the next exit and came back to tell me what he saw and offered help, he said he had never seen a hood fly that high.

327-365hp
01-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Set the hood back on, (I'll put the pins back in later) go in the house for lunch. Leave late for work, just as I hit second gear, I see the hood do a little dance, then whoosh, right up and over the roof. In the rear view I see it land on it's nose. Oh well, I had been meaning to paint it anyway.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j109/327-365hp/garbage/69-rr1copy.jpg

Landseer
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Volvo 1800
Hood opens forward, normally.
Unless its just been set in place and not bolted to the hinges.
Which is what my dad and I had done, back in 1979.
I guess we just ASS U ME D the firewall latch would hold it.
We hit 50 mph and whoooooosh --- airborne it went. Bad day.
Fortunately no impact or injuries to anybody behind us.
Just a bent hood.

Heo
01-15-2010, 08:05 PM
One time in a volvo 121 had rebuilt the
engine and put on the hood and was going to
get the bolts to the hinges. When my mother
tell me the dinner was ready. Ate dinner
washed up and changed clothes. And went
to town for some saturdaynigt crusing.
When i shifted to fourtgear WHAAAAM
the hood sailed of could se it cartwheeling in the
rearwiev mirror

One time in a Jensen interceptor was going to
make a new hood for it was so rusty
the owner delivered it to me and i gave him
a ride home with it. And he tell me to
step on it feel how fast it is man (got a 440 sixpack
and fourwheeldrive) got it up to about 120 mph
WHAAAM the whole outherskin on the hood
first hit the windshield and then disapeared
had to sears fore it long time to find it

one time in my Mercedes 500 sec Taking my son to
school. Had charged the battery and not closed
the hood. Att 20 25 mph it flew open and bent
the hood corners and made a 2inch crack
(aluminium hood)

40hemicpe
01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
was in my 54 chevy and one night went to friends house to party and then got cocky and told my friend that my chevy would woop his studebaker"454" well we line up in the street 1.2.3 go right when i started pulling on him the hood pops up i slam on the brakes and went up the curb forgot to close the hood after i was showing the motor off.:D

59ab
01-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Had a '41 Ford coupe in '57 that would fly up often. I was too dumb to tie it down. Sold it to some Navy guys from Key West. I wonder if they were smart enough to tie it down.

fredb
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
'66 ford F-150 on the freeway in southern california at rush hour (back in the days when you could still do the speed limit during rush hour...center lane of the freeway (with a camper shell on the back to aid vision:))...BTSS (big time scarry shit). Got it to the center divider without incident, but will always remember the experience

belair
01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
One night I was doin' about 110 in reverse in my 57 Ford....

neonloverrob
01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Buddy of mine bought a Porsche 911 from salvage pool, theft recovery car. We were hauling it home and hood flies off, lands soft as a feather right side up in grass by the road. Thinking he lucked out, we were walking back to it when a 18 wheeler goes by and the wind blows the hood into the road where two other cars run over it. I laughed so hard he almost left me there! Cost him $800 bucks for another hood

Oh yeah,my last rollback, a International 4300. The whole front end is fiberglass and flips forward. I filled washer fluid up and didn't latch rubber hold down straps. About 5omph the damn front end flips forward! No shit! No damage but I still can't believe that one!

DMFB
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I had an o/t 72 Nova when I was a kid. I was heading to work and getting on the highway, cranking up to 65 WHAM, I was hoodless. I pulled over and got out. Couldn't see the hood anywhere....the bam, it hit the ground. That thing had to have been a mile high. It didn't do anyting the hood except scratch it a little. I think that was the beginning of me overkilling everything. Scary shit.

barslazyr
01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Not completely off but we use the hood for a speedo, 72 Dodge pu main latch is broke and at 45 mph the hood comes up to the safety latch. I am fixing it now.

Hotrodbuilderny
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
My brother in law and I were driving his fathers international suburban back
in the early 70's. We were on the parkway, all we heard was a big bang then darkness, then light like 1 2 3 hood pin was rotted ripped out actually tore
the hood off the truck had to have gone 20 ft in the air we were going westbound
hood hovered in air for a while and landed in the eastbound lanes had a tough time explaining to his father

rickyracer1962
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
oh man. Years ago me and my ex were heading home from Vegas in her 58 olds. We were doing about 90 in the fast lane on the 58 highway, i was driving. A gust of wind hit us pretty hard and it popped the hood up. I couldnt get over right away car there was a semi in the slow lane! Eventually got it to the shoulder, got out & couldn't believe the damage. It didn't break the windshield, but it looked like someone danced on the roof, from one end to another. the hood also rolled up all crazy & twisted. took the hood off and left it on the side of the road. it was wasted. When i got back in the car, i had to pop the roof back up, the hood pushed the roof in so far it knocked me in the head and i didnt realize it. lol if you guys see a slammed blue 58 running around cal with no hood now you know why!

Spoggie
01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
No biggie as I recall (TC Cortina). This bonnet travelled right back, you could rest it on the windscreen. Opened up on a on straight stretch of my most travelled road, round midday & pretty quiet. Lucky. Looked between bonnet & engine.
This was when I was a kid. It was my mum's car. When she wasn't looking we put a hotter cam in it. "Whats wrong with my car"..
I also spun it 360 on a greasy go through a legendary stretch of local hills main road ( Chain of Ponds). Trying out the new cam! Stopped 6 inches from a tree. Same road as the bonnet fly-over, similair time of day & quiet.
Could'nt do it now- urban sprawl- too many citizens..

ProtoTypeDesignFlauz
01-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Twice it happened, and both not good, at all.

ProtoTypeDesignFlauz
01-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah, and as I remember, can't see a dang thing at all what is in front of you!

Strange Agent
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
It hasn't happened to me personally yet. It did happen to my brother, though. He took dad's '74 Mercury Capri road-race car out for a spin and didn't put the pins in the hood.

He pulled out gave it a little gas and the hood bent straight up. He wasn't going fast enough for it to fly off or break the windshield or anything. Bent the hood hood corners and stuff, but it didn't turn out to be such a bad thing- because that hood was always a pain to work under, now it raises up higher and getting under there is a breeze.

billandlori
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Not a hood but funny too:

A guy I used to work with had an old Jeep with a hard top. He's flying down the freeway and all of a sudden the whole hard top lifts off, flips several times going over top of a semi and lands upside down on the pavement completely flattening itself. He hadn't clipped the front of it down to the windshield. The bikini top on the Jeep got pretty cold around November!!

Bill

Larjk9
01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
The fiberglass hood on my off topic V8 Pinto came off at 130 mph. We never did find all the parts from the hood scoop. The pucker factor was impressive.

oilslinger53
01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
yep. In my old bosses 68' bronco. Had a fiberglass hood with pins and my boss neglected to put the pins in it. I was only going about 20 though. cracked the windshield and part of the hood. That was a fun truck. Had a pretty built 302 and would do wheelies with very little effort. The look on a girls face is priceless when you pull away from a light on two wheels :)

wood470
01-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Had the hood fly up in the lights at Irwindale in a 57 Chevy. Mike Stell was driving got out and tore the hood of and made another pass.Next week we cut the roof off an d got rid of the fenders. Worlds first 57 Chevy roadster

classicmike
01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Just finished preping my 51 Caddy and was headed for the paint shop, only doing 50mph and a huge noise, windshield went blank (was a white Caddy). Stuck my head out the window and slammed on the brakes. Continued to the paint shop and told him to fix the hood before he painted the car. :)

VNTGE41
01-15-2010, 11:53 PM
the hood on my 70 cutlass flew up on me on the 110 fwy. this was about 10 years ago, it was around 3 am and i was taking a female friend home. it flew open and bent over the roof. I remember that i was taking the hood off and the chp showed up. They asked what i was gonna do with the hood and i told them leave it on the fwy. they told me to come back in the morning to pick it up. Needless to say my female friend didnt want to ride in the cutlass w/o a hood, so i found one that would

jcmarz
01-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Back in the early 80's,late one night I was on my way home from La Mirada,Ca to Whittier,CA in my 55 Chevy Nomad and I made a turn onto Stage Road. There were no other cars (a lot less traffic back then in SoCal) so I punch the gas and the next thing I see is my hood going up and in a wink of an eye, flew right over my Nomad and landed upside down on the street. I stopped, threw the trans into reverse,pickup the hood, placed in the back of the Nomad and drove home nice and easy the rest of the way.

Spoggie
01-16-2010, 01:07 AM
One night I was doin' about 110 in reverse in my 57 Ford....

Theo:HotRodGod
01-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Hell yes! My 68 F-100 on the free way. I stuck my head out the window and kept on trucking till the next exit. No dammage to the truck but I think my pant leg was wet.
When I built the VW. bug I kept that in mind and fabricated another hood latch.

Rot 'n Kustom
01-16-2010, 08:18 AM
It was about 30 years ago, in my first old car: a 1955 Cadillac Series 62 sedan, purchased for $800 at the Atlantic City Car Auction. Had been working on it for a few months, then took it to a young guy for a spare-time paint job, which took another month or so.

Finally picked it up and it looked splendid: gleaming white paint job, rolling on a new set of wide whites. I was riding home on Rt 30, just east of Exton, PA when the hood flew up.

'55 Cads have a small external "visor" (roof extension) over the curved glass windshield. It was just long enough to to prevent the hood from smacking the glass, luckily. I couldn't see anything, of course. Hit the brakes and pulled to the side.

When I got out and looked at the car, the hood was crunched. But what really gave me pause was when I realized I had stopped just two feet in front of a telephone pole.

Then I started to cry...

nofin
01-16-2010, 11:13 AM
not quite the same but I had a 67 pontiac and the opening lever on hood latch broke off when it was shut. Ever tried to open the hood from underneath?? Can't see, can't reach...

poorboy
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
when I 1st got my 54 running, my friend and I drove it around the block a few times. I was so excited to be able to drive it finally. We were driving pretty slow and my friend and I decided to put the hood on just to see how it looked when we were cruising. Finally, my friend asked if he could drive it and I said yeah since he helped me get it running. As soon as he gets behind the wheel, he punches it and after about 10 seconds, the hood starts shaking then lifts and hangs there for a split second before flying up over the car and landing in the middle of the street. No major damage to it, but my heart just about stopped when it lifted and I was jumping out of the car before my friend even came to a complete stop!

FalconMan
01-16-2010, 04:26 PM
About 20 years ago I had it happen to me twice in my 64 Ford truck. I was going do the freeway at 55 mph, and boom, up it came. Scared the shit out of me. I had to drive with my head out the window to get to the side of the freeway.

I spend a few weeks looking for another hood. Finally found a good one. Same thing happened shortly after. I finally figured out what was wrong with the latch :eek:

Doug

jerry sezar
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Happened to me in turn three at Antioch Speedway in '92. Got black flagged, but continued to race until the heat was over! Have it on tape here at the shop.

Last year, one of my customers drove his '50 Dodge, banged 2nd, and did severe damage to the visor and broke both front windows.

Another customer was down in LA and decided to pick up a new hood for his GTO at Classic in Long Beach and save the shipping cost to NORCAL. Tied it to the top of his camper. Stopped to put gas 200 miles later and noticed......NO HOOD. Hope nobody got was following to close when I flew off. He ordered another one UPS.

NH Gearhead
01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Yup.
A couple of times.
It really sucks.
First time was at 65 mph on the highway in my old 62 F100.
(I really shouldn't have been goin' that fast in that p.o.s. anyway)
Second time it was a test drive in a customer's car when I worked at a dealership.I had the manager look at the quality coat hanger the owner of the car thought was a reasonable substitute for a functional hood latch before I test drove it.
He told the customer that should really be fixed first but the guy was too cheap.
And sure as shit, I hit 40 mph and wham!,cracked the windshield.
I was kinda expecting it but it still made me pucker!

Insane 1
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
not quite the same but I had a 67 pontiac and the opening lever on hood latch broke off when it was shut. Ever tried to open the hood from underneath?? Can't see, can't reach...

Thank thats bad, try it on a 56 T-bird.....

Big Block Bill
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Many years ago....I was late to work one day. I came to the cloverleaf from one highway to another, I just started getting up with traffic and the hood vibrated, than shot straight up off my 57 chevy. I looked out and up from drivers window and there was my hood a good hundred feet in the air..... I watched it float back to eartn on the other side of the highway, I figured it was going to be junk, I was late for work, so I kept on going.... I looked in my rearview mirror and saw traffic starting to pile up on the other side and I just knew, my hood had something to do with the crowd building, I figured I cross the grass and go back to the cloverleaf just to check and sure enough, my hood had blown out the windshield of a 66 Impala with 2 girls driving. Thanking God, nobody was hurt, just showered with glass, I filled out accident report, the girls were sent to the hospital just for a check out and all was ok. My insurance company was just required to pay for the hospital visit and a new windshield. Today.... there would have been millions in law suits, but I was lucky, nobody was hurt.

shoeman
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
It was after a 10 hour day at the nuke plant with rain coming down and the traffic not so good. Thats when the deer decided to cross the road.I tagged her with the right corner of my Ram Charger. At first I didn't think there was much damage. But I found the bumper pushed the fender back where I couldn't turn without rubbing on the tire and the fan was hitting the shroud. A friend pulled the bumper and fender away from the tire with a chain he kept in the back of his truck and I removed a few pieces of the shroud. I was half way home the first time the hood flew up. It scared the Hell out of me. I was lucky, not much traffic. I got it pulled over and after I closed the hood it seemed to be latched OK. so I headed home once more wondering what would go wrong now. That's when the hood few up again, breaking the windshield and doing more damage to the hood. So much for not having much damage hitting a deer.

Iluvnos
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Just fixed it so I will not have to worry about this happening again and it only took 15 minutes to install.

redlinetoys
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Came up with this idea of a small hole in the hood latch combined with a pit pin pushed through the hole (through the grille) when the hood is shut.

This way the pin through the hole is below the hood latch receiver and there is NO way the hood can come up.

Gives good peace of mind if nothing else and is simple...

c57heaven
03-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Bob: I was thinking of your picture when I saw this thread. I've showed your picture to friends with 55's around here. Great idea.

adjustablejohnsons
03-13-2010, 03:56 PM
1963...Hemi powered '46 Ford Coupe..hauling ass down US 11 in South Mississippi. Not only did it fly open, it took off and soared to its new perch in a cypress tree in a roadside swamp. For the next year, I had to see it every day on my way to college in my now hoodless car. Nope, I was not going in that swamp.

redlinetoys
03-13-2010, 04:04 PM
c57heaven, Glad you like the idea. It used to make me very nervous banging through the gears before doing this. Don't even think of it anymore! I always keep a few extra pins in the glove box.