View Full Version : Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

jjones752
06-18-2009, 06:17 AM
The yellow laydown was a D-A Lubricant Spl driven by JIt's actually a Kurtis-Kraft, with a one-off independant front suspension. It ran one or two years at Indy in that configuration, then Smokey Yunick acquired it and put an conventional straight axle in it. Ron Fournier did the restoration on it, and had to recreate the original IFS from archival photos, since Arlen Kurtis couldn't find any drawing or prints among his dad's stuff. Ron's an incredible fabricator; I went to his sheetmetal workshop last year and he's got a big album of each of his past project, includung this one. There are a few of them posted on his website, www.fournierenterprises.com/In_The_Shop (http://www.fournierenterprises.com/In_The_Shop). The Kuzma D-A laydown was at Indy this year in the pink #3 Racing Associates livery.

jjones752
06-18-2009, 06:26 AM
I just tried the link I put in the above post and it doesn't work, but if you go to Ron's site and find shop projects in the menu, you'll find it. The last part of the link should be "/In_The_Shop", but it doesn't come out that way when you type it in here.The Kurtis is about seven projects down. A little off-topis, but the Merc was in the shop when I was there, and is going to be a looker.
Sorry, too, for the typo in the first sentence, should finish "driven by Johnny Thompson". I get excited reading and writing about this stuff.

BIG JOHN 37
06-18-2009, 06:51 AM
is the #43 roadster in post 6246 the recently restored Dr. Jake Vargo Chiropractic Offy, saw it as part of the Trenton display at Motorsports 2009, have a great pic of it somewhere at Trenton, with my uncle Jiggs Peters in it - not very good at posting pics but will try -

Spike Ruth
06-18-2009, 07:30 AM
1964 Watson Leader Card
Monterey 2007

Sorry................a bit modern!:eek:
Yeah, it sure is....
A bit ugly too!!

Spike Ruth
06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah, it sure is....
A bit ugly too!!
Not much worse than a Roadster with a side mirror tho!

racinfool
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah, it sure is....
A bit ugly too!!

Personally speaking I always liked that one as well as Bransons.;)

Spike Ruth
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
is the #43 roadster in post 6246 the recently restored Dr. Jake Vargo Chiropractic Offy, saw it as part of the Trenton display at Motorsports 2009, have a great pic of it somewhere at Trenton, with my uncle Jiggs Peters in it - not very good at posting pics but will try -
What a laugh; "Dr Jake Vargo". Jake was in the fuel oil and excavation business, along with some farming!
Very nice man, great supporter of racing, but no way any sort of "Dr"!!

Harley Gene
06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Guys, what is really cool about this thread is that 'somebody' knows what car is what. I yield to the DA lube car. I now know the real story. I was fairly sure it was not the Sahli car. The yellow 9 car in the photos posted after my comments 'is' the Sahli car that Hanks and Bryan drove to victory in 57 and 58.
A little trivia about the Sahli car...in 1957 Sahli was hurting for cash to run the car after it was built. He went to Lodge spark plugs to get some sponsor money. Lodge gave him enough money to get the car to Indy and he won! That is the only time in the 50's a car won the 500 by NOT using Champion spark plugs. When one sees a photo car with the Lodge decal on the side, then it's in 1957 configuration. If you see it with Champion it's '58. Now it gets even better. If you see the car today in the Indy museum, it has no spark plug company on it. Ta Da.....
HG :cool:

Rootie Kazoootie
06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I just tried the link I put in the above post and it doesn't work, but if you go to Ron's site and find shop projects in the menu, you'll find it. The last part of the link should be "/In_The_Shop", but it doesn't come out that way when you type it in here.The Kurtis is about seven projects down. A little off-topis, but the Merc was in the shop when I was there, and is going to be a looker.
Sorry, too, for the typo in the first sentence, should finish "driven by Johnny Thompson". I get excited reading and writing about this stuff.
Try this:

http://www.fournierenterprises.com/In_The_Shop.html

oldebob
06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
oldebob, nice pix. This is the Gordon Reid car, right?? Who were the other 3 cars ??
mlight9.
If that was the retired airline pilots name ,Yes. The "Wolf Special" KK 2000, 270 Offy... A Trevis Midget,... A Shilala Offy midget.... and the 220 Offy Engle KK Sprint car. The Shilala (resold) stayed in the club with veteran driver "Methanol" Mel Anthony, whose sales of his new and long awaited book on N/W midget and big car racing must be going well. Smoke ,Sand and Rubber. ISBN:0-9787721-0-5

indybigjohn
06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree with Gene. One of the neat things about this thread is that SOMEBODY will know exactly what you're looking for.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
If that was the retired airline pilots name ,Yes. The "Wolf Special" KK 2000, 270 Offy... A Trevis Midget,... A Shilala Offy midget.... and the 220 Offy Engle KK Sprint car. The Shilala (resold) stayed in the club with veteran driver "Methanol" Mel Anthony, whose sales of his new and long awaited book on N/W midget and big car racing must be going well. Smoke ,Sand and Rubber. ISBN:0-9787721-0-5
I think he may have been refering to Gordon Reid, the racer who was killed in a gruesome crash in the early 50s.

mlight9
06-18-2009, 12:41 PM
oldebob, thanks for the info on the 3 cars.
mlight9.

jimg12
06-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I think I am right on this. The 39 torbo Roadster Bobby Grim was the last Roadster and first torbo engine car to make the 500 field.
Jim Graybeal

bill wallace
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
The first turbo car was the Cummins diesel in 1951 & the intake which was monted on the lower part of the car for the turbo clogged & put the car out of the race. As with most stories about unusual cars at the speedway there are rumors & speculation. Some folks felt that Cummins didnt want the car to finishy & did nothing to prevent it as it had already gotten tons of publicity. There was also the story that Frank Kurtis wanted to put the intake on the top to prevent clogging. All of the pricipals involved are gone by now so we will live with mith & story as far as the diesel goes. Last week a Diesel won again at LeMans proving the engines ability in all types of applications. The Bobby Grim car of 1966 was the first turbo offy & led to an era in Indy racing that will never be seen again. Massive leaps in speed,innovative experimetation in auto aerodynamics & cxhassis construction & the massive tires that allowed the indy car to race anywhere except on the trditional dirt ovals of thier birth.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I think I am right on this. The 39 torbo Roadster Bobby Grim was the last Roadster and first torbo engine car to make the 500 field.
Jim Graybeal
Herk qualified the Mallard in 68.

Spike Ruth
06-18-2009, 06:11 PM
SHORTY TEMPLEMAN in a really cool Champ Car at the Horne in 1955. Does anybody know who built this car?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8767&pictureid=84771

Spike Ruth
06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
JERRY HOYT in action behind the wheeel of the Wolcott Spl. at Langhorne in 1955

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8767&pictureid=85153

Rootie Kazoootie
06-18-2009, 06:22 PM
SHORTY TEMPLEMAN in a really cool Champ Car at the Horne in 1955. Does anybody know who built this car?

Champcarstats says it's the Peter Wales/ Westwood Tools- Kutis 4000, DNQ in 55.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
oldebob, and others, who may be interested, a detailed history of the Engle-Stanko sprinter and the people /events surrounding it, including the infamous G. Reid crash, can be found here:

http://www.speedtv.com/site/article/vintage_something_wicked_this_way_runs//P1/

jjones752
06-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Herk qualified the Mallard in 68.
Then tried, and tried, and tried to put it back in.
The R-A turbo Offy was definitely the last Watson roadster to make the show. Too bad it didn't make a lap. I remember listening to the race on the radio at age 14 and feeling sad when Sid Collins announced the car as being out of the race. You just knew it was the end of an era.

Spike Ruth
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Jimmy Bryan Langhorne 1955.

Is Jimmy using a seat belt?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8767&pictureid=85257

kurtis
06-19-2009, 09:38 AM
The last driver to make the Indy field in a FE roadster was Jim Hurtubise in 1968. He was also a gun on the dirt.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Al Keller in the Hopkins-Lesovsky car, Langhorne 1955.

kurtis
06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Al Keller is the only driver to win a NASCAR race in a foreign built car. He also had 4 Indy starts. Great driver.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Strapped in and taped up.

kurtis
06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Strapped in and taped up.

Where was this pic taken? Merritsville?

Rootie Kazoootie
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Dunno, Indy I assume, that is one of the later wedge shaped Mallard bodies, probably around 1970 or so, judging by the helmet.

kurtis
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
where the term HOTRODoriginated...

kurtis
06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
48 to 51 Wichita. Kansas.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Herk and P.J. Langhorne 1961.

racinfool
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
:cool:More Herk

QUOTE=Rootie Kazoootie;4037499]Strapped in and taped up.[/QUOTE]

kurtis
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
love the wwt on the #59 Herk roadster...

mlight9
06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
kurtis, can you or anyone ID the cream sprint car #75 next to the #56 ?? Driver & car name or owner, thanks,
mlight9.

Sprinto7
06-19-2009, 04:59 PM
where the term HOTRODoriginated...
Any idea where these pictures were taken, or better yet, who is driving the #10 roadster? It looks like a Long lost family member.

Del Long

RSCA HISTORY
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
This one comes courtesy of fellow HAMB'er GMC Bubba. He gave it to me earlier tonight during our regular Wednesday build night at Bubba's Garage/Trailer Park.
Evidently the driver is Chuck Booth who was having somewhat of a difference of opinion with one of the trackside photogs at the Indy Fairgrounds.

Roo

In a recent talk with Steve Stapp he stated that whenever Booth took to the track to time he was usally slower then most so they would go to the turns and give him the finger or hold their nose to indicate "You Stink" . This would piss Booth off and he would do worse. The more they did it the mader Booth got and after one incident Booth came into the pits and hit his trailer, then he tried to get out and forgot to unbuckel a belt. When he got half out the belt pulled him around and he hit his face on the carhttp://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/aussierooman/ChuckBooth.jpgIn a recent talk with Steve Stapp he stated that whenever Booth took to the track to time he was usally slower then most so they would go to the turns and give him the finger or hold their nose to indicate "You Stink" . This would piss Booth off and he would do worse. The more they did it the mader Booth got and after one incident Booth came into the pits and hit his trailer, then he tried to get out and forgot to unbuckel a belt. When he got half out the belt pulled him around and he hit his face on the car

ol'hotrodder
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Wonderful! thank you for sharing those with us.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
kurtis, can you or anyone ID the cream sprint car #75 next to the #56 ?? Driver & car name or owner, thanks,
mlight9.
Those appear to be champ cars, if so, that would probably be Jerry Welds Hotel Tropicana #75, a Offy/Kurtis.

Spike Ruth
06-19-2009, 06:23 PM
:cool:More Herk

QUOTE=Rootie Kazoootie;4037499]Strapped in and taped up.[/QUOTE]
racinfool;
I have never seen so many Novis at the same place at the same time! Priceless! Thanks for this great contribution!

OldBill
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
mlight9.

mlight9
These were sprint cars at DuQuoin in 1963. No. 75 was Arnie Knepper's Lockart Chevy. Probably the only seasons when it wasn't red.

Ebert
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Does anyone have a photo of Herk when he opened the car on Qualifying Day and had all of the beers instead of a motor?????? My new avatar!!!!
Ebert

mlight9
06-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Old Bill, thank you very much, that is the answer I was looking for.
mlight9.

jjones752
06-20-2009, 05:54 AM
I love the cage on the six-cylinder car in the back. It looks like it was aligned using the "That's looks good, Norm- hold it right there while I weld it." method.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=687442&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1245435099 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=687442&d=1245435099)

Spike Ruth
06-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Len Duncan duels with Charlie Musselman in 1955, Horne
During his latter years, Len was a neighbor of mine, living in Lansdale, PA and driving a tow truck for a Cadillac dealer.
Charlie owned a tavern in nearby Collegeville, PA. and always bought one for a racer!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8767&pictureid=85253

kurtis
06-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Any idea where these pictures were taken, or better yet, who is driving the #10 roadster? It looks like a Long lost family member.

Del Long

The driver in the #10 is Claude Ash.
All photos are from Wichita Kansas from 48 to 51.

kurtis
06-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Does anyone have a photo of Herk when he opened the car on Qualifying Day and had all of the beers instead of a motor?????? My new avatar!!!!
Ebert

I still haven't seen a pic of that. Probably due to the fact there weren't many photographers around on bump day. Anyone have something?

Sprinto7
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
The driver in the #10 is Claude Ash.
All photos are from Wichita Kansas from 48 to 51.
Thank you very much. The reason I asked was even though I would have been 10-13 years old in 48-51 my brother and sister wwere sure that was me in the 10 car. I know it wasn't. Ash must have been the guy that was always seen in places I wasn't supposed to be. :D
Del Long

Rootie Kazoootie
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Dempsey Wilson, Roger McCluskey (I think) and Don Freeland-Milwaukee 1961.

Harley Gene
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
During this years Hoosier Hundred, Mike Lynn and I decided to try and recreate that special moment of Chuck Booth and the photographer. Here is what we got. The local guys around Indy will get a chuckle out of this since they know Mike who is a great guy and obviously has a sense of humor.

kurtis
06-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Not fair. You guys have all the fun.

Spike Ruth
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Dempsey Wilson, Roger McCluskey (I think) and Don Freeland-Milwaukee 1961.
Rootie;
You still come up with the best and most unusual old pics on here.
Thanks

racinfool
06-20-2009, 12:47 PM
During this years Hoosier Hundred, Mike Lynn and I decided to try and recreate that special moment of Chuck Booth and the photographer. Here is what we got. The local guys around Indy will get a chuckle out of this since they know Mike who is a great guy and obviously has a sense of humor.

LOL!! Just a bit more slidways and you'll have it.:eek:

Rootie Kazoootie
06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
The pace lap of the fall 1961 Trenton 100. Notice that the majority of the cars are uprights, yet, at both 1961 Milwaukee races the majority were roadsters. Both tracks are realitively flat miles run for a 100 laps. Wonder why that was?

indybigjohn
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Gene, I thought that was Chuck Booth and Wally Meskowski in that photo.

Spike Ruth
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
The pace lap of the fall 1961 Trenton 100. Notice that the majority of the cars are uprights, yet, at both 1961 Milwaukee races the majority were roadsters. Both tracks are realitively flat miles run for a 100 laps. Wonder why that was?
Rootie;
I raced at Trenton in a URC sprint car, and believe me, the turns were not like Daytona, but they sure were fairly high banked. Thats the main reason, i would think.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-20-2009, 11:16 PM
"Hand" signals.....

Bob Coutts
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Rootie-
More good ones; have a question for you, or anyone who has an answer;
These Sacto pics were from the oqiginal mile track i assume.
Why then did the state build a new Cal Expo, complete with mile dirt track, run on it a few years and recently have had no racing, as far as i know?
BTW- All the pics from there are fantastic!
The horse set wanted a new track. The new one is real nice but the surface is real sandy and the horse set won:t let the promter remove it like Aggie did at the old fair grounds. I ran my sprint car at the open comp race on the old track andmy midget on the new track, andthe old track was far better evan though Cal Expo was not keeping anything up.

LittleFauss
06-21-2009, 12:43 AM
'jjones752, 'Now that my friend, is a sense of humor! That is funny! 'Talk about "run-what-ya-brung!" 'Very funny. And congrats' for being from the town that hosts one of the greatest little dirt tracks in the country. Ventura Speedway, the palm trees, right next to the ocean, the guys' pitting back out in the horse stables, 'great scene! And Spike! 'Speaking of Len Duncan, I'm going to have to go dig up the picture I've got of Len at (I think) Flemington (NJ) back in about 1971-72? in somebody's Edmunds-Sesco that made the cover pages of NSSN.

LittleFauss
06-21-2009, 12:59 AM
'Bob Coutts, 'My hat's off to you; for running your sprint car at the old State Fairgrounds and your midget at Cal-Expo in Sacramento. Yes, all of the pics of Silver Crown (Champ Dirt) Cars are from the old California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento at the corner of Broadway and Stockton Blvd. The old fairgrounds hosted races up until that fateful day, October 25th, 1970. The California Exposition and State Fair was built and started in August of 1970 on the brand new Expostion Blvd. (right off Interstate business 80) but, did not host a race until 1975. It was a non-National Championship motorcycle race hosted by Wildcat Promotions. The following year, J.C. Agajanian (technically, his sons, Agajanian Enterprises) started running AMA Grand National races. It wasn't until June of 1989 that the first USAC Silver Crown race was run at Cal Expo. And these first few races were promoted by a group of gentlemen, including Tom Hunt (Joe Hunt Magnetos) and other successful bsuinessmen. 'Off and on until about 1999 until, like you said, the horsemen finally won out. Today, they are even contemplating ripping out the mile and an eighth dirt track and the grandstands to make room for a possible arena for the Sacramento Kings (basketball) team to play in....'You are right, the old fairgrounds was real dirt, whereas Cal Expo, being right next to the American River is very, very sandy and is extremely hard on tires for both the bikes and cars.

Bob Coutts
06-21-2009, 01:12 AM
For Racer 5c,
I think you are looking for Bob Boyce of Boyce Industries in Chicago.He did claim to own a Weinburger Homes car. I think he sold it a few years ago.
YES> The Johnny White car was bought by a fellow that lives in Redmond, Oregon and he ran it a few times with WESTCOAST VINTAGE RACERS and then sold it a couple years ago back east some place. It had all of the pictuers that the White famly had given him.

modifieddriver
06-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Independent front suspension and steering off the left front. How was the right front steered?

Does this car have a RF and LF drag link to the steering box?

Actually, after looking deeper, the Brady car is indeed G. Schroeder built, but a earlier, more traditional version. The 2 1951 Indy cars, are the next gen. tricked out aluminum/magnesium framed, IFS'd versions.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Independent front suspension and steering off the left front. How was the right front steered?

Does this car have a RF and LF drag link to the steering box?
Yep, I guess he didn't become the premeire steering box builder by accident. :rolleyes:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z13563/Schroeder-Indianapolis-Special.aspx

Blacki-Suede
06-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey, Josh it is for sale on Ebay and already has your name on it.

Blacki-Suede

Joshua Shaw
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Ha!! Nice... I like that.

Josh Shaw

racer5c
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Gene, I thought that was Chuck Booth and Wally Meskowski in that photo.

It is

Rootie Kazoootie
06-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Al Keller, Curly Boyd-IRP-61

indybigjohn
06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Rootie. I love collecting older photos from IRP. I wish I'd had some of these when I was the news director and was doing the programs.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Rootie. I love collecting older photos from IRP. I wish I'd had some of these when I was the news director and was doing the programs.
I think that is from the first openwheel race on the pavement 7/61.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Came across this pic at one time and thought it was from Milwaukee. Looking closer, the background and lack of "curtains" make me think it may be IRP. Also the cars/tires look to be mid/later 60s and I don't think (?) they ran sprints too much past the early 60s at Milwaukee. (?)

metal bender
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I still haven't seen a pic of that. Probably due to the fact there weren't many photographers around on bump day. Anyone have something?
i, dont have a picture but I, remember it I, was there Miller Time !!!

Jim Dieter
06-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Came across this pic at one time and thought it was from Milwaukee. Looking closer, the background and lack of "curtains" make me think it may be IRP. Also the cars/tires look to be mid/later 60s and I don't think (?) they ran sprints too much past the early 60s at Milwaukee. (?)

Rootie
The 7 car in the front row was my gramps if it says will county auto wreckers on the side...joliet il. If so, IRP, Ligouri or Knepper, late 65 or early 66.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Rootie
The 7 car in the front row was my gramps if it says will county auto wreckers on the side...joliet il. If so, IRP, Ligouri or Knepper, late 65 or early 66.
Thanks, Jim

bigmike312
06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Some cars from Southeast Missouri. All of these are from 1970 or earlier, the track closed after the 1970 season.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars037.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars037.jpg)http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars089.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars089.jpg)http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars039.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars039.jpg)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars036.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars036.jpg)http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars086.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars086.jpg)http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/th_oldracecars041.jpg (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/bigmike63867/semo/oldracecars041.jpg)

Big Mike

Rootie Kazoootie
06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Rootie
Best I could come up with:
IRP June 27 1965
#3 Mario
#7 Knepper
#51 McClusky
#92 Weld (winner)
#2 Larson
?
#11 ?
Looks a lot like A.J. back in 8th

micondie
06-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Love this thread. I work at Whip City Speedway in Westfield MA (whipcityspeedway.com). On July 18 the Atlantic Coast Old Timers will be bringing their cars to show and also for some hot laps!!! Come see them! I will get some shots to post.
Mike

kurtis
06-22-2009, 06:15 PM
crash scenes but no fatalities...

mac miller
06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
finishing touch on the new NOVI car being built here in INDY...... new tail fin fresh out of the mold ready for installation

Jim Dieter
06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Best I could come up with:
IRP June 27 1965
#3 Mario
#7 Knepper
#51 McClusky
#92 Weld (winner)
#2 Larson
?
#11 ?
Looks a lot like A.J. back in 8th
Rootie...you are the man.
My father said that was about right..had to call him since my memory at 5 may have been clouded...lol
It raced at the Minn. State fair by Ray Elliot. On the way back from that race, They (gramps/gram) were involved in a wreck while towing that car home. Rutherford came along...made sure they were taken to the hospital, took the car to a garage somewhere, and checked in to let them know where the car was and that all was well. If I remember the story correctly, seems that Rutherford may have won there. A very touching act by a great driver, and human being. I dont remember where that car ended up, but there were a few sprinters that Sonny Ates bent up at winchester. That may have been one of them.

Bob Coutts
06-22-2009, 11:50 PM
I suspect you're right, found this pic of McGrath at Indy 49 with a similar deal.
That picture of McGraff i the car is the CITY of TACOMA Kurtis chassis #317 built in 1948 and owned by Leo Dobry of Tacoma, Wash.

Bob Coutts
06-23-2009, 12:10 AM
The car in your picture was built in the ANSEN shop by Biff Caruso. EAGLE ELECTRIC in Spokane, Wash. owned the car and it was driven by Bud Gorder. My car won the championship over the EAGLE ELECTRIC car and my car was the old JIMMY CAMPBELL sprint car that ran IMCA for years and was over 20 years old in 1966. BOB GREGG drove for me. The Eagle ELECTRIC car done much better in 1967 with JIM ROBERTS driving, They gave us some competion.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Rootie...you are the man.
My father said that was about right..had to call him since my memory at 5 may have been clouded...lol
It raced at the Minn. State fair by Ray Elliot. On the way back from that race, They (gramps/gram) were involved in a wreck while towing that car home. Rutherford came along...made sure they were taken to the hospital, took the car to a garage somewhere, and checked in to let them know where the car was and that all was well. If I remember the story correctly, seems that Rutherford may have won there. A very touching act by a great driver, and human being. I dont remember where that car ended up, but there were a few sprinters that Sonny Ates bent up at winchester. That may have been one of them.
J.R. is the real deal and a credit to the sport for sure, both he and his wife Betty have done a lot, behind the scenes, to help out racers over the years.

racer5c
06-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Kurtis, that pic of Mel Hanson has always been one of my favorite pictures

Al Consoli
06-23-2009, 07:37 AM
http://www2.enter.net/photoalbum/data/consoli/627.jpg

Rootie Kazoootie
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Jimmy Davies, Allen Crowe and Herk- Terre Haute 1961.

Mitch G
06-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Rootie, is that the same midget race in 61', that this dude won?
http://www.autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=251
I bought this great shot of A.J. in Hank Greens midget, from Ken Coles, this is the Hut Hundred, in 1961.

kurtis
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
random..

Rootie Kazoootie
06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Rootie, is that the same midget race in 61', that this dude won?

I bought this great shot of A.J. in Hank Greens midget, from Ken Coles, this is the Hut Hundred, in 1961.
Can't say for sure Mitch, they ran the midgets twice at T/H in 61. The track doesn't look as heavy as in the A.J. shot, which doesn't mean much.

indybigjohn
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Rootie, from the background beyond the wall I'd almost bet it was IRP, but it seems like you've already had it confirmed.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Larret (aka Larry) Crockett

tex44
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
As posted on www.texasopenwheel.com (http://www.texasopenwheel.com) :

Greetings Oval Track Racers...........notice.....this coming July 5th from noon to 9 PM....Texas World Speedway will hold its annual fan appreciation day......the facillity will be open to all.......

Vintage Oval Track/Victory Lane Magazines will be managing an Indy Car Race for vintage Indy cars ...we will have access to the 2 mile oval.....we will be on the track 4 times during the day.....the sessions will last 15 + minutes per session ....note the Oval has been repaved....two lanes...

The event is free......just show up but please call me if your coming....

Display of Midgets....Modifieds.....Sprint cars......everyone is welcome!

July 4th...........you may enter the track on July 4th.....the Gates will close at 10PM............you may spend the night inside the track ...camp out and the like....note if you have a motor home there maybe a small electric hookup fee....more this later.

My cell phone is 214 354 4611............call with any questions and spread the word to Indy car owners that this is their change to get in and go!!!!

Keep your Revs up

Brad Balles Victory Lane Mag/Vintage Oval Mag email thealphagarage@yahoo.com <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_982-->
<!-- THE POST -->

indyrjc
06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
As posted on www.texasopenwheel.com (http://www.texasopenwheel.com) :

Vintage Oval Track/Victory Lane Magazines will be managing an Indy Car Race for vintage Indy cars ...we will have access to the 2 mile oval.....we will be on the track 4 times during the day.....the sessions will last 15 + minutes per session ....Brad Balles Victory Lane Mag/Vintage Oval Mag email thealphagarage@yahoo.com <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_982-->
<!-- THE POST -->

Had not heard about this date. Vintage Oval Magazine has an ad for a Historic Champ/Indy Car Showcase running November 13-15 at Texas World.

racer5c
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
This Might be a repost but I wanted to make sure Spike saw it Champ Cars at Springfield 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGpEjGfROk

racer5c
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
here's a must watch!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpj28E55U4&feature=fvw

tex44
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Had not heard about this date. Vintage Oval Magazine has an ad for a Historic Champ/Indy Car Showcase running November 13-15 at Texas World.

That is the correct date for Texas Motor Speedway in the DFW area, July 5 is for Texas World Speedway south of Bryan, Texas.

Spike Ruth
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
here's a must watch!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpj28E55U4&feature=fvw
Roy;
Two great videos, thanks for posting them. Did guys like A. J carry different bars with them as standard? I mean, he must have needed stiffer bars and different shocks for the dirt car at Milwaukee, didnt he?
What he was able to do that day proves that the right driver, if we have any now, could at least look respectable today, in a similar situation.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
McCluskey, Herk and J.R. flogging their uprights-Trenton 63.
Bobby Marshman #9, Bert Brooks at a midget 250 miler-Trenton 61.

kurtis
06-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Herk has been the most mentioned driver on this thread. What is it with him that appeals to those who have posted?

Rootie Kazoootie
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Herk has been the most mentioned driver on this thread. What is it with him that appeals to those who have posted?
Raced anything, anywhere, anytime. Didn't forget where he came from and didn't much care what others thought about him. After getting his hands terribly burned, the doctors told him they could set them in any position he wanted but that would be it forever. He told him to make them fit around a steering wheel. Actually that discription would apply to a lot of the drivers from that era, he just kinda personified it.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Roy;
Two great videos, thanks for posting them. Did guys like A. J carry different bars with them as standard? I mean, he must have needed stiffer bars and different shocks for the dirt car at Milwaukee, didnt he?
What he was able to do that day proves that the right driver, if we have any now, could at least look respectable today, in a similar situation.
The Milwaukee race was right between 2 dirt races, so I would think he had a good selection of spares along. Of course with A.J. you never know, he may have just "willed" the car along with the dirt setup. :D

racer5c
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM

well his son is my best friend for one thing lol

indybigjohn
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Rootie, you explained Herk's persona perfectly. You couldn't help loving the guy. I happened to be at Daytona when the doctor said he didn't think he had the strength in his hands to handle a stocker. He said "no hard feelings" and shook hands with the doctor and put him on his knees. Herk was cleared to drive.

And Roy, please say hello to Andy for me.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Any mention of Herk always makes me think of this fellow too. While his outer personality is 180 deg. opposite of Herk, the spirit is the same- What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger-

Joshua Shaw
06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
<--- New Avatar..

BIG THANKS to Bill Akin.. (sp) I got to sit in the Bowes Seal Fast Indy roadster while it FIRED, twice!!! Never thought I'd get to do that.

Very High point.

JD

lrs30
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Roy saw your roadster (love it!) at BG wish I had the chance to meet up with you, but to many races to see i guess.. I had the worn out and dented 31 5 window behind you...Maybe next time...

Ron Mayes
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
<--- New Avatar..

BIG THANKS to Bill Akin.. (sp) I got to sit in the Bowes Seal Fast Indy roadster while it FIRED, twice!!! Never thought I'd get to do that.

Very High point.

JD

You lucky fucker ..........:D:D:D ......did you get those pics ? the road trip to Bills was killer
Check out my new avatar

tex44
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
That is the correct date for Texas Motor Speedway in the DFW area, July 5 is for Texas World Speedway south of Bryan, Texas.

I stand corrected, the November show is at Texas World Speedway south of Bryan also. So both shows are at TWS.

racer5c
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Roy saw your roadster (love it!) at BG wish I had the chance to meet up with you, but to many races to see i guess.. I had the worn out and dented 31 5 window behind you...Maybe next time...

Did the guy wanting to buy/trade your car get ahold of you?

Coyote X14
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Guys does anyone out there have some FORD style 10 Degree Front spindles.
They have the long snout, 4 ears. Thanks for any help out there.

Joshua Shaw
06-25-2009, 12:52 AM
You lucky fucker ..........:D:D:D ......did you get those pics ? the road trip to Bills was killer
Check out my new avatar

I see that!! How am I gonna slip them 18" hals out the door when no ones looking if your snapping pics of me!!

You were supossed to be my "look out" :D

That tour was GREAT!! I've never seen so many ORIGINAL speedway Firestone tires in one place.. let alone N.O.S. ones still wrapped in the wax paper! I'm a tire nut.. That shit was straight PORN for me!

JD

Joshua Shaw
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
If you think the Ford Four cam covers that said FOYT are a lil rare... Check out what I'm holding...

That's the wooden buck to make them!!

Jim Dieter
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
That's cool !!!!....Did you get a cam cover for wall art ??

indybigjohn
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Josh, I'd love to hang one of those on my wall if you're going to make 'em.

brian26
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
finishing touch on the new NOVI car being built here in INDY...... new tail fin fresh out of the mold ready for installation

Hey Mac, any ideas as to the origins of this hood and nose combo?

http://www.hoseheadforums.com/images/uploadedimages/Forums/media/RRC/Saldana59Salem090577shrp50cor%204x6.jpg

brian26
06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I stand corrected, the November show is at Texas World Speedway south of Bryan also. So both shows are at TWS.

A show at TMS would be more centrally located. They also have a 1/2 mile dirt track. Also Goodguys has a show in October there, with a captive audience, and track time. It would be a hit.

brian26
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Racer5c, 18 months ago you wanted to see the Don Edmunds shirts I bought at the Chili Bowl, Here is the prized one, autographed by the Great One

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/brian26_photos_2007/supermodifieds/SANY3251.jpg?t=1245959674

Joshua Shaw
06-25-2009, 04:04 PM
That's cool !!!!....Did you get a cam cover for wall art ??

Wouldn't fit in my pocket.. :D

Coyote X14
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Here are some photos of the spindle I am looking for. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Scotthttp://www.firehousedesign.com/proofs/spindle/DSC00486.jpghttp://www.firehousedesign.com/proofs/spindle/DSC00489.jpghttp://www.firehousedesign.com/proofs/spindle/DSC00487.jpghttp://www.firehousedesign.com/proofs/spindle/DSC00491.jpg

brian26
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Those spindles are pretty common in the vintage circles. How much are they worth?

JohnnyFast
06-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Coyote....I think those are Ford 10 degree spindles. As Brian said they're common vintage sprint parts. I see them on eBay from time to time.

Coyote X14
06-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes they are ford style 10 degree, I am just having a difficult time locating some. I was hoping someone out there might have some or have a lead to where I could call. Thanks Scott

mac miller
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
The hood is a Grant King shortened to fit with the cowl also cut down. The nose is not any standard shape that I've seen but could easily be made from a King nose by any good fiberglass guy.

mac miller at ground zero in INDY

Hey Mac, any ideas as to the origins of this hood and nose combo?

http://www.hoseheadforums.com/images/uploadedimages/Forums/media/RRC/Saldana59Salem090577shrp50cor%204x6.jpg

brian26
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mac

Rootie Kazoootie
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes they are ford style 10 degree, I am just having a difficult time locating some. I was hoping someone out there might have some or have a lead to where I could call. Thanks Scott
Might check with this guy, 10 deg. Ford spindles were pretty standard fare back in the 70s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-SPRINT-RACE-CAR-IN-OUT-HALIBRAND-TRANSMISSION_W0QQitemZ300325630862QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZRace_Car_Parts?hash=item45eccd738e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Anybody in the market for a ex-Roy "Crutters" :D monocoque Turner midget?

http://www.openwheelmarketplace.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5608

racer5c
06-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Anybody in the market for a ex-Roy "Crutters" :D monocoque Turner midget?

http://www.openwheelmarketplace.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5608

well at least he spelled Bettenhausen wrong too makes me feel a little better, I made the mistake of telling him it was my first race car when I talked to him two weeks ago he told me he wanted 9 grand for the roller, said he had all the original parts, didn't have the heart to tell him I stripped all the parts off for my next car and sold the bare chassis

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Some midwest IMCA action:
A great shot of Tom Custer #76 and Jim Moughan in the Black Deuce bringing down the field for the start of the Hawkeye Futurity 1967.

Grady Wade #82 administrating a brake check during the same race.

GoFastDream
06-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Don't know much about sprint cars, but last year I was at a car show and was mesmerized by this beauty and snapped a coupla pics, enjoy:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/3661968645_a8bff9c0db_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3661968789_12117789ac_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2483/3662770062_24df530e3b_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/3662770100_a92440168d_b.jpg

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Some east coast URC action:
Red Reigel #14- Hatfield 64

Hank Laukaitis #49- ?- Dave Lundy #28 Hatfield 64. Check out the fish tail and "trellis" roll bar, gotta love it.

Jim Nise
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Rootie, picture #2 has hank lakitis on the bottom and Don Gillette in the 51 in the middle. This car was the Marvin/Stearley/Hickey/Traylor/Beal sprint car.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
West coast stuff:
Allen Heath "all crossed up"- Probably Ascot 1964.

Don't see too much early 4 wheel stuff of Joe Leonard. Here he is in a v8-60 at a indoor show, Oakland. Maybe a off season pickup ride between his M/C racing.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Some 67 USAC action:

Don Thomas on a qual. run.

Running inside Rollie Beale #82, while Chuck Booth, on the outside, appears to be thinking "WTF where did these guys come from?" :rolleyes:

brian26
06-26-2009, 10:17 AM
well at least he spelled Bettenhausen wrong too makes me feel a little better, I made the mistake of telling him it was my first race car when I talked to him two weeks ago he told me he wanted 9 grand for the roller, said he had all the original parts, didn't have the heart to tell him I stripped all the parts off for my next car and sold the bare chassis

He knows about "Bentenhouser" and "Martize". I'm betting he even has the oh-ridge-jun-uhl Hilderbrown wheels too.

racer5c
06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
He knows about "Bentenhouser" and "Martize". I'm betting he even has the oh-ridge-jun-uhl Hilderbrown wheels too.

he told me he has been racing midgets for 40 years, a few names of USAC national champions (in my family) didn't ring a bell with him I dunno

racer5c
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
West coast stuff:
Allen Heath "all crossed up"- Probably Ascot 1964.

Don't see too much early 4 wheel stuff of Joe Leonard. Here he is in a v8-60 at a indoor show, Oakland. Maybe a off season pickup ride between his M/C racing.

My dad once told me that Alan Heath was better after he lost his arm, said no one ran the cushion like him, I have some pictures of him in a couple of my dad's cars will try to dig em out

aXe33
06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I think Joe had already about stopped racing bikes by then. He ran a couple years indoors after bike racing also did some Hardtops (supers) and midgets outdoors also out west..
aXe

aXe33
06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
About the Hawkeye Futurity races, I had a friend who went back there from california to race with the IMCA He got out of the park I was told at that race in 59 or 60? Hurt pretty bad took a couple of years to heal then tried a come back. Anyone know of any pictures of his wreck? His name was Bob Hewitt, also known as Uncle Dudly? I had seen some of the after effects of that wreck as they pulled him out of the car looked pretty gruesome, but no pictures of the actual wreck?
Some midwest IMCA action:
A great shot of Tom Custer #76 and Jim Moughan in the Black Deuce bringing down the field for the start of the Hawkeye Futurity 1967.

Grady Wade #82 administrating a brake check during the same race.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
About the Hawkeye Futurity races, I had a friend who went back there from california to race with the IMCA He got out of the park I was told at that race in 59 or 60? Hurt pretty bad took a couple of years to heal then tried a come back. Anyone know of any pictures of his wreck? His name was Bob Hewitt, also known as Uncle Dudly? I had seen some of the after effects of that wreck as they pulled him out of the car looked pretty gruesome, but no pictures of the actual wreck?
Don't think I have any but I'll keep a eye out. In the mean time here's a couple more Heath pics:
1. looks to be at Ascot 2. looks to be at El Centro.

lrs30
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Did the guy wanting to buy/trade your car get ahold of you?

I got his number but have'nt called him yet...Not sure what I am going to do....

brian26
06-26-2009, 03:55 PM
he told me he has been racing midgets for 40 years, a few names of USAC national champions (in my family) didn't ring a bell with him I dunno

I've been running across charactors like that myself. Lots of history that doesn't match or even make the record books for some reason.

In my fantasy world I may have won the Hoosier 100, but I am able to separate that from reality!LOL

mlight9
06-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Rootie, you have hit a homer. Info said the car was sold to Gillette but I never came across any pix. If you or anyone has more pix of this car, please post.
Jim Nise, thanks for the ID.
mlight9.

Racer12
06-27-2009, 01:24 AM

Roy, is this the car you sold to my Uncle Danny Williams? Just wondering cause the list of names add up to what I know of it. Sounds like this guy might not exactly what he has.

Bob

Rootie Kazoootie
06-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Proabably no better examples of top shelf mid-60s sprint cars were the H-H Machine car and the Dunseth car usually associated with drivers Rodger McCluskey and Greg Weld. In 1967, while McCluskey was off in France racing at LeMans, Bobby Unser filled in for him in the H-H car and won a feature over Weld at Terre Haute, as shown in 3rd pic.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Jimmy Maguire in the #5 and Jud Larson at New Bremen 1964. A few laps later Maguire would have a bad crash resulting in him losing his arm.

Ebert
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Raced anything, anywhere, anytime. Didn't forget where he came from and didn't much care what others thought about him. After getting his hands terribly burned, the doctors told him they could set them in any position he wanted but that would be it forever. He told him to make them fit around a steering wheel. Actually that discription would apply to a lot of the drivers from that era, he just kinda personified it.

This is pretty much what my Dad always told me about him, so I became a big fan as well. Tough hombre with a sense of humor!

Joshua Shaw
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Bloomington held the 21st annual Sheldon Kinser Memorial race last night. It was a great show!!

On display was the 1977 Genesse Beer car. This is a BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!

wynns #1
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Rootie,
I believe the 51 car of Don Gillettes was the Leitenberger car, not the Traylor car. Maybe Old Bill can confirm?

JohnnyFast
06-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Bloomington held the 21st annual Sheldon Kinser Memorial race last night. It was a great show!!

On display was the 1977 Genesse Beer car. This is a BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!

Here's another restored Sheldon Kinser ride.

The37Kid
06-27-2009, 09:09 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/joshuashaw32/horn46.jpgIs this the Milt Marion car that Mauri Rose also drove?

Jim Nise
06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Wynn's#1 I agree, the Gillette car in the picture isn't the ex Traylor. I blew up the pic and can't see the distinctive traits of that car. The front end also doesn't have the geometry I remembered.

sorry for the bad call.

Joshua Shaw
06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's another restored Sheldon Kinser ride.

Possibly one of the BEST looking 80's sprinters ever.. ;)

Blacki-Suede
06-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Possibly one of the BEST looking 80's sprinters ever.. ;)
Lloyd Shores Car? Ben Leyba/Jack Steck? '81 - '82?

Blacki Suede

miller91
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
pix

miller91
06-28-2009, 02:18 PM
more

miller91
06-28-2009, 02:23 PM
again

The37Kid
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694613&d=1246216331 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694613&d=1246216331)Nice Early photo of the Strupp Miller, the restoration has a later tail that just doesn't look as nice as this early one IMO.

The37Kid
06-28-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694629&d=1246216454That is a Pop Green car, mist likely driven bt Len Perry.

PK
06-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks Mac for all the pics... :) Check out the grooving job on the left rear
PK

kurtis
06-28-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694613&d=1246216331 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694613&d=1246216331)Nice Early photo of the Strupp Miller, the restoration has a later tail that just doesn't look as nice as this early one IMO.

That's Johnny Hannon in 1934. In '35 he was approached in the pits at Indy to drive in the race,one in which he lost his life.

kurtis
06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
At the start of theMiller91 post, 2nd from top middle pic, the drivers name in the #2 midget is Frank Sinatra.:cool:

OldBill
06-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Rootie,
I believe the 51 car of Don Gillettes was the Leitenberger car, not the Traylor car. Maybe Old Bill can confirm?
That's correct; Don Gillette's car was the Leitenberger car - that's from Don, himself, in about 1963. Never did ask why he did the "halo" roll bar. Don pretty thoroughly altered the car to fit in the Pontiac, and then got it "altered" further when he took a hard shot on the tail

Joshua Shaw
06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Check out the car.. "Hot Rod" (Push car by the looks of the bumper) on the right. Talk about an EARLY HOT ROD!!! Looks chopped, lowered,White tires and Guide headlights.. Pretty neat.

Great pics by the way!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694626&d=1246216438 (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=694626&d=1246216438)

miller91
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
a little mixed, but a cool collection

Bob Coutts
06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
That 7th piture of the #1 car is STAN MUIR fromSpokane, Wash. at that time 1950.The 5th & 6th pics are from AURORA SPEEDWAY in SEATTLE, Wash.about 1954 of Homer Normans former EDELBROCK #27 . Can;t recall just who was driving.

kurtis
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know how many Edlebrock cars were raced in the 50s? I'm pretty sure one made it's way to Australia and ended up staying here.

miller91
06-28-2009, 08:09 PM
bttt

kurtis
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Haulers,crashers and Atlantic Speedway.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know how many Edlebrock cars were raced in the 50s? I'm pretty sure one made it's way to Australia and ended up staying here.
At least a couple.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
East Coast midgeteers:

Len Duncan #24 and King Carpenter, Hatfield Pa. 63.
George Monson #34 Tony Romit #55 and Ernie McCoy Reading 64.

Spike Ruth
06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Larret (aka Larry) Crockett
Why do you suppose they ran the tailpipe down under the rear axle?
The radar is picking up a line of thundershowers which extends from a point 9 miles NNE of Sicorgus, New Jersey, along a line and 6 miles either side of the line to a point 5 miles SSW of Fonduloch.However, the radar is also picking up a squadron of Russian ICBMs... so I wouldn't sweat the thundershowers.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Spike Ruth;4069478]Why do you suppose they ran the tailpipe down under the rear axle?

My guess would be that there would be less chance of spilling fuel on a hot exhaust pipe (?)

Rootie Kazoootie
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Who's number one?
A scorers nightmare, the alphabet guys working on each other, Salem 61.

SteveE
06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Does anyone on here have any info on Dick Linder, if so pm me.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Midget Madness from Nutly N.J. 1938:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=14348

Rootie Kazoootie
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
More midget racing, this time from the U.K. (didn't even know they raced em there) Check out the "teams" at the end, pretty cool.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=58278
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=54114

Rootie Kazoootie
06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Several old 30s-40s- Indy clips can be found here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18558

kurtis
06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Lots of info and pics of British stocks, modifieds and some open wheel between the 50s and 70s.

www.oldstox.com (http://www.oldstox.com)

RSCA HISTORY
06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/RSCAhistory/Fairgroundsreunion005-1.jpg

Dickson and Post at Reading Fairground reunion June 28th

mlight9
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
RSCA History, excellent show put on by the "Reading Fairgrounds Racing Historical Society" this past Sunday. Weather, location, lots of fans, race cars, all good. Kudo's to the RFRHS group. Also, conversing with Doug & Tony.
mlight9.

bobjeffreson
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
The Anderson car pictured below is, I'm certain the car that he brought to Autralia and sold to Gary Rush. This car started the sprintcar revolution "down under."
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/bobjeffreson/1966JohnnyAStoga.jpg
As it appeared in Sydney, Australia driven by Rush.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/bobjeffreson/rush-1.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/bobjeffreson/gr.jpg

bobjeffreson
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Another shot of the Anderson sprinter after its sale to Rush in Australia.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/bobjeffreson/70spr2.jpg

indybigjohn
06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Rootie, if I'm not mistaken those two No. 1s in the photos were from the year after USAC last had an Eastern Sprint Champion and a Midwest Sprint Champion. Naturally, it's A.J. and Parnelli.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Rootie, if I'm not mistaken those two No. 1s in the photos were from the year after USAC last had an Eastern Sprint Champion and a Midwest Sprint Champion. Naturally, it's A.J. and Parnelli.
You're correct indy, 1960 was the last year of the dual sprint champs.

Rootie Kazoootie
06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Don Thomas, Wib Spaulding #44 and Ralph Ligouri #15 kicking up some dirt-1967

wynns #1
06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Spike,
You might want to know that the Culp offy[your old car] is one of the featured cars at EMMR museum this year, honoring Buster Warke. I bet you wish you still had it! Was a Bill Lauer involved in the ownership chain?

Spike Ruth
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Spike,
You might want to know that the Culp offy[your old car] is one of the featured cars at EMMR museum this year, honoring Buster Warke. I bet you wish you still had it! Was a Bill Lauer involved in the ownership chain?
Joe;
Yes, Bill Lauer was a guy who lived colse -by in Skippack. I sold the car to him once, and he made it a cross- bar rear suspension. What a job!! Those main tubes were large and thick! It took him all winter to get this done, and what a bad idea. The main tubes had to be bent way down as a pick-up [point for the cross bars.
End result; i drove the car twice, once on each dirt and tar, and hated it! Dick drove it at BRIDGEPORT and disliked it too.
Later, i traded it for an engine, parked it until Paxton And Buster bought it.
Some sad days for a great car! Yes, i sure do wish i still had that car!

slotcarguy
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
This has got to be the most enjoyable thread that I have ever found. I was on a forum dedicated to 1/32 scale slot cars and one of the members showed this thread. I clicked on it and now I'm up to page 45. I have a long way to go to get to page 322.

Later, I plan to post some of my own family pictures that includes my Dad's Hillegass Offy that we campaigned with IMCA. Later on after Hal Minyard moved from California to Indy, he and my dad hooked up and raced together for almost 10 years. Together they won the 1971 Eldora Track championship. I also have pictures of my Dad racing midgets following his return from WWII. He got out of the cockpit around 1952 after my Mom had, had enough of seeing their racing buddies die.

Great thread. Now back to page 45.

Geo. Wilkins

The37Kid
07-02-2009, 11:21 AM
You can post photos before getting to the last page. Welcome to the HAMB!

racer5c
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Please post George, also tell them about your grandfathers shop across from the Chevrolet brothers, your dad's racing and your racing and maybe even throw in your TV work for the Midget and Sprint races they will all love to hear about you and your family's racing history.

Joshua Shaw
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Geo. Wilkins

Welcome!

wynns #1
07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Slotcarguy,
Welcome aboard! Can not wait to see the photos of the Hilly sprint car.

indybigjohn
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I echo what Roy said, George. These guys on here who don't know will appreciate knowing about you and your family's involvement.

Al'svintageracing
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I am looking to contact a driver by the name of Ted Young, formerly from West Milton, PA. Ted raced in the 1970's at tracks such as Selinsgrove, Port Royal, Williams Grove, etc. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Al

Bobert
07-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Considering riding up to the Miller Meet in West Allis. Looking for a relatively cheap decent place to stay Fiday night. Suggestions?
Thanks,
bob

racer5c
07-03-2009, 03:53 AM
Considering riding up to the Miller Meet in West Allis. Looking for a relatively cheap decent place to stay Fiday night. Suggestions?
Thanks,
bob

Bob i think they changed the days to Thursday and Friday you might want to check, I guess if you can own a Miller you don't have to worry about taking off work for a couple days lol

Rootie Kazoootie
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Might want to hold off making any reservations, might not be anybody there to open the gate. This is really sad, hope they can work something out, a lot of history there.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/49776407.html

Spike Ruth
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Slotcarguy,
Welcome aboard! Can not wait to see the photos of the Hilly sprint car.
Hi Joe;
Yes, Bill Lauer was a guy who lived close -by in Skippack. I sold the car to him once, and he made it a cross- bar rear suspension. What a job!! Those main tubes were large and thick! It took him all winter to get this done, and what a bad idea. The main tubes had to be bent way down as a pick-up [point for the cross bars.
End result; i drove the car twice, once on each dirt and tar, and hated it! Dick drove it at BRIDGEPORT and disliked it too.
Later, i traded it for an engine, parked it until Paxton And Buster bought it.
Some sad days for a great car! Yes, i sure do wish i still had that car!
Spike

Rootie Kazoootie
07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
This has got to be the most enjoyable thread that I have ever found. I was on a forum dedicated to 1/32 scale slot cars and one of the members showed this thread. I clicked on it and now I'm up to page 45. I have a long way to go to get to page 322.

Later, I plan to post some of my own family pictures that includes my Dad's Hillegass Offy that we campaigned with IMCA. Later on after Hal Minyard moved from California to Indy, he and my dad hooked up and raced together for almost 10 years. Together they won the 1971 Eldora Track championship. I also have pictures of my Dad racing midgets following his return from WWII. He got out of the cockpit around 1952 after my Mom had, had enough of seeing their racing buddies die.

Geo. Wilkins

Hal Minyard before he went back east, dueling with his CRA nemisis Bob Hogle in the Tamale wagon 1964.

racer5c
07-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Hal Minyard before he went back east, dueling with his CRA nemisis Bob Hogle in the Tamale wagon 1964.

anyone wanna give a little history on the helmets Hal Minyard made

Rootie Kazoootie
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
anyone wanna give a little history on the helmets Hal Minyard made
NSCHoF 2007: http://www.sprintcarhof.com/Inductees.aspx

Sprintmik
07-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Al, I believe Ted passed away away a few years ago. I think one of his boys is still involved in racing with Gene Jenkins.

mac miller
07-03-2009, 08:02 PM
The annual "Millers at Milwaukee" meet is coming up next weekend(Fri.Jul.10 &Sat.Jul.11) This show features 30 to 40 of the best vintage speedway racing cars you will ever see and they will be "on track" for 10 hours of running time.
Millers, Offenhausers and always a few surprises. Teens and twenties Miller and Duesenberg board track cars up through the sixties Watson and Kurtis speedway roadsters. If you are close enough to get there, this is the "don't miss" show every year.

We will be there with our #98 "ol calhoun" Watson roadster, so, stop by and say "HI"!

Joshua Shaw
07-04-2009, 10:37 AM
CONGRATS!!!!

Our own "Harley Gene"... Got to see his Non-wing Driver Kyle Roberts win his FIRST ever Feature win last night at GAS CITY!

That's Gene second from the left with the Hoffman shirt on.

Winning that first Feature is always a BIG hurdle. It seams like everything changes, and it all gets better and funner after that. Carry on guys, you deserve it!

Spike Ruth
07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
CONGRATS!!!!

Our own "Harley Gene"... Got to see his Non-wing Driver Kyle Roberts win his FIRST ever Feature win last night at GAS CITY!

That's Gene second from the left with the Hoffman shirt on.

Winning that first Feature is always a BIG hurdle. It seams like everything changes, and it all gets better and funner after that. Carry on guys, you deserve it!

Harley Gene;
A big CONGRATS on that win at Gas City! They will come more often now!

Rootie Kazoootie
07-04-2009, 04:57 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/joshuashaw32/horn46.jpgIs this the Milt Marion car that Mauri Rose also drove?
I believe this is the same car that Rose co-won the 1941 500 and drove at other venues in 41 as the #16 Noc- Out Spl. In 46 it was sold to Fred Peters, for Chitwood to drive in the 500. Ted Horn also drove it at other venues in 46, as your picture of him at Goshen N.Y. depicts. After that it was driven by many different drivers, including Troy Ruttman at his first Champ car race. Walt Brown was killed in it at Williams Grove on 'Black Sunday' 1951. Not sure what happened to it after that, but Jerry Weeks restored it as the #16. Don't know if/when Milt Marion owned it.

Joshua Shaw
07-04-2009, 05:07 PM
A few buddy's and I built a dirt track on a farm in Lebanon. We race $500 or less beaters on it the first Friday of every month. We have a water truck, two tractors and can turn the track over, water it and roll it in with ease! While I don't have any good video of the Beater car racing yet.. I do have some poor quality video of a couple hot rods runing laps during intermision. I'll have more for you in the future. We plan to run a couple of vintage sprinters on it soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exTo3_PAiC8

Spike Ruth
07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
The annual "Millers at Milwaukee" meet is coming up next weekend(Fri.Jul.10 &Sat.Jul.11) This show features 30 to 40 of the best vintage speedway racing cars you will ever see and they will be "on track" for 10 hours of running time.
Millers, Offenhausers and always a few surprises. Teens and twenties Miller and Duesenberg board track cars up through the sixties Watson and Kurtis speedway roadsters. If you are close enough to get there, this is the "don't miss" show every year.

We will be there with our #98 "ol calhoun" Watson roadster, so, stop by and say "HI"!
mac;
Are you sure this event is still a go? I heard yesterday that the Milwaukee Mile is history! What a huge shame if its true. That place is a big part of America!

Harley Gene
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys, but it was Kyle Robbins who should get the "atta boys". The kid drove his you know what off. Winning on any Indiana track is tough when one looks at the caliber of competition. When you can have a night when the likes of Ballou, Stanbrough and Cottle can't catch you, you have had a good night. It certainly was a big one for us. We have to thank Bryan Clauson racing for their help. This sure pumps us up for Indiana Sprint week coming up this Friday night at Lawrenceburg, Gas City on Saturday and Kokomo Sunday. Hope to see some of you guys there. Please stop by the 17R of Kyle Robbins, the 27 of Ryan Kaplan or the 7 of Bryan Clauson and say 'Hello'. Bench racers welcome.

Minewithnoshine
07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I talked to my uncle tonight at our 4th party, and we started talking about my grandfather's racing days. I posted pics way back in this thread, but the car was raced from about 1929ish to till about 1938, it went by the "Morrell Special" and was number '99' I know it was an Offy powered car. He raced in New York a lot, I can't find anything about the car, records are so hard to come by from back then.

Then when he came home from the war, he did a lot of work here in the 50's, for Cecil Beavers and another guy whose name I'm having trouble remembering, but he did a lot of injection work around this area.

Racer12
07-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Pat O'connor from IOW site.

http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1215&d=1246738711

Bob

Racer12
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Another from IOW site.
Muncie, IN "velodrome" 1946

http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1212&d=1246733764 (http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1212&d=1246733764)

Racer12
07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
test

http://http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/racer1278/th_JoelThorne.jpg (http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/racer1278/?action=view&current=JoelThorne.jpg)

Racer12
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/racer1278/JoelThorne.jpg

Ebert
07-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys, but it was Kyle Robbins who should get the "atta boys". The kid drove his you know what off. Winning on any Indiana track is tough when one looks at the caliber of competition. When you can have a night when the likes of Ballou, Stanbrough and Cottle can't catch you, you have had a good night. It certainly was a big one for us. We have to thank Bryan Clauson racing for their help. This sure pumps us up for Indiana Sprint week coming up this Friday night at Lawrenceburg, Gas City on Saturday and Kokomo Sunday. Hope to see some of you guys there. Please stop by the 17R of Kyle Robbins, the 27 of Ryan Kaplan or the 7 of Bryan Clauson and say 'Hello'. Bench racers welcome.

Way to go, Geno!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!!
Eric

Harley Gene
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Somebody really liked my pictures from the IOW site. Here is the other one I was going to post. This is Winchester Speedway 1951.Tom Cherry in the lead, Roy Prosser and Pat O'Conner in the 309

Harley Gene
07-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Better post this one quick. I forgot something. Sorry, won't happen again....:)

Rootie Kazoootie
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=corngrower32;4085694]A few buddy's and I built a dirt track on a farm in Lebanon.

The 'Beruit Hundred'? Wow, that's a long tow! :rolleyes::)

Rootie Kazoootie
07-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Can anyone verify that this midget was built by A.J. Watson?
http://www.autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=522
From the program for the 1972 Astro Grand Prix
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jimg12;4008778]I always heard that the car Mel Kenyon won his first USAC championship in [ it was owned by Willard Coil of Washington Courthouse, Ohio] was built by A.J. Watson. It was a number 14. Do not know where it is now.
Roy, how about asking A.J. the next time you see him?
Jim Graybeal

Can't verify anything, but I came across this shot of Mel K. in the #14 in 1964. Also, some months back a fellow, on another board, posted the pic of a midget he drove in the 70s and he said the owner claimed it was a Watson built midget. Comparing the two, I see a lot of similarities; nose, cowl, bellypans etc. But what really gives it away is the integeral roll hoop (hard to see in the 70s pic) on both. Same car (?) Watson built (?)

mac miller
07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
mac;
Are you sure this event is still a go? I heard yesterday that the Milwaukee Mile is history! What a huge shame if its true. That place is a big part of America!

The Miller meet, as well as several other special events at the track, is a rental and not part of the current promoter contract. It will not be adversely affected by the current promoters problems.

Spike Ruth
07-05-2009, 12:46 PM
The Miller meet, as well as several other special events at the track, is a rental and not part of the current promoter contract. It will not be adversely affected by the current promoters problems.
mac;
Thats great, glad to hear that your event is not affected. I really hope the promoter situation can be worked out; we dont need to lose another part of Americana!

aXe33
07-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Harry and Helen in their last project.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9153/harryhelenxmascard1.jpg

Ollie Johnson, Harry,
aXe, George Benson below, click for larger image

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7272/2olliejohnsonharrystryke.th.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2olliejohnsonharrystryke.jpg)
I first Met Harry back in the mid sixties,I used to drive up the hill south of
San Jose to watch Him turn his magic on His Midget also seeing his Sons and wife Helen while up there. You couldnt meet a finer family.
Harrys Midget's spoke and spoke loud! Winning in every series He raced them in.
Harry was allmost always with a smile and great greating just like You would have
expected from a true brother.
I am gonna miss our e-mailings. He has left a void that will be hard to fill but
I trust in His upbringing of His Sons it wont take long.

Hey Harry they just threw You a green flag and it will be one you cant lose this race in!
RIP Harry.
aXe

lrs30
07-06-2009, 02:46 PM
So who all is starting off in Lawrenceburg this Friday, Is there gonna be any back row hoodlums there Friday night.I'm hoping to be there in the 31 even though the Daily Driver is more comfortable for now, there is somthing about going to the track in a hot rod (or even a stocker like mine ( .Y. ) )....

BZNEIL
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
So who all is starting off in Lawrenceburg this Friday, Is there gonna be any back row hoodlums there Friday night.I'm hoping to be there in the 31 even though the Daily Driver is more comfortable for now, there is somthing about going to the track in a hot rod (or even a stocker like mine ( .Y. ) )....

I am Definitely going and will be top down in the '32!! Sprinters and Hot rods!

lrs30
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I am trying to get mine titled so I can drive out, I need a VIN TAG MADE to pass inspection, now back tou your regular scheduled program....

Spike Ruth
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I saw a pic today of the Tamale Wagon Offy. The story with it said it was built by McCluskey! I had no idea that Roger was also a builder. The same story said that Kuzma built the car that Dick Atkins died in at Ascot. I would have bet money that was a Wally car. Live and learn, i guess.

mac miller
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I believe that Roger also built the ECCA Spl. that raced in the Arizona/New Mexico area in the early 60s.

The #9 Atkin's car was built in Kuzma's shop by a kid named Don Ergo. Wally bought the car from Kuzma and build a couple more just like it. The #1 car that forum member, Wynn's#1, has just finished restoring, is a Wally built car equipped with parallel front torsion bars instead of the cross leaf like on the #9.

Paul Leffler then took over the design, from Wally, and built 40+ of them... some with cross leaf front ends, some with parallel front torsion bars and even some convertibles from bars to leafs.

LittleFauss
07-07-2009, 12:17 AM
'macmiller, 'Thanks a lot for the clarification on the #9 car. Growing up on the west coast I was a huge Dick Atkins fan. So, when my Father came home from work on a Monday back in Nov. of '66 and told us that Dick Atkins had been killed over the weekend, we were heartbroken. As has been pointed out before, the pic of Wally and Lonestar JR on pit road at IMS is actually the #9 car (with the cross leaf spring front), even though it's lettered #1.

Spike Ruth
07-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I believe that Roger also built the ECCA Spl. that raced in the Arizona/New Mexico area in the early 60s.

The #9 Atkin's car was built in Kuzma's shop by a kid named Don Ergo. Wally bought the car from Kuzma and build a couple more just like it. The #1 car that forum member, Wynn's#1, has just finished restoring, is a Wally built car equipped with parallel front torsion bars instead of the cross leaf like on the #9.

Paul Leffler then took over the design, from Wally, and built 40+ of them... some with cross leaf front ends, some with parallel front torsion bars and even some convertibles from bars to leafs.
Thanks, you guys;
Now i better understand the deal. Of the combinstions that could be had on these cars, the only one i would have wanted was the leaf spring front end. That set up was awesome. Always worked on both dirt and tar!!

LittleFauss
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
'I'd like to know why guys like Wally and Paul Leffler, that were big on parallel bars on the front, never built a championship dirt (100" wheelbase) car with parallel bars? Or did someone?

racer5c
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
'I'd like to know why guys like Wally and Paul Leffler, that were big on parallel bars on the front, never built a championship dirt (100" wheelbase) car with parallel bars? Or did someone?

That's a good question

Jim Nise
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I think if you look at the frame of the champ cars, there wasn't a parrallel (longitudinal) member at the right geometry for the torson bar. The 50's chassis had a large main tube with lighter cross members and the drivers prefferred the spring front. The 4 bar cars had four smaller diameter tubes running longitudenally. Thats why I believe Wally built the cross bar chassis in his champ cars, which was copied by Kuzma, Watson, ...

IMO of course.

Jim Dieter
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Seems like that car Gary B dumped at Saracuse may have had a parralel with a coil helper on the rf...looking for the pic.

nsh57
07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I think this thread has a few that fit the bill.:D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377543

LittleFauss
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
'Jim Dieter, 'Here are a couple of pics of Gary's car. You can see that they changed from a cross torsion bar to a parallel bar to assist the coils on the front end. The second one is the actual car at Syracuse. I think what a few builders did was use an actual torsion bar as a anti-roll or sway bar. I know Don Edmunds built a coil-over front midget for Jack London that utilized a parallel mounted torsion bar to act as a 'helper' bar, as he referred to it. What I liked about Wally and Leffler is, it seems they tried mounting parallel bars both above the front axle and below the front axle. racer5c's uncle, Red at LTC and the northern cal builer, George Benson were both very successful builders and they always mounted the bars below the front axle. 'Perhaps the experts can chime in and expand.

mac miller
07-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Not sure I know the answer to your question but I do know that the chassis dynamic is different with parallel torsion and cross torsion. With parallel, all of the spring transfer to the chassis stays on the same side, but with cross torsion the spring load is transfered to the opposite side of the chassis. Not sure that it is better or worse but it is definitely different and needs to be understood when setting the chassis.
Several of the early fifties Indy cars used parallel torsion including the Ballanger #99 and the 1950 Parsons winner.

BZNEIL
07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Anybody have a pic of Halibrand midget shifter rear that shows the cable attached? I am missing the piece that goes between the shifter and the cable end. I think I know how it goes, bit would like to see one before I make it.
Thanks,

Harley Gene
07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Bryan Clauson Racing will be hosting an open house on Monday July 13th from 3pm 8pm. We would like to invite all fans and racers who are in town for Indiana Sprint Week to stop by and visit the shop. We will be Barbequing and will have the DAK Sprint car simulators in the house to test your skills. We will also have a corn hole tourney as well as a jump house for the kids. If you are looking for a way to kill some time between the Kokomo event and the North Vernon USAC Midget show be sure to stop by. Drivers will be available for autographs and pictures.

Drivers:
Bryan Clauson 2009 USAC Midget Week Champion
Ryan Kaplan Former Western States USAC Champion
Kyle Robbins Fresh off his first Feature Win at Gas City Speedway

Shop Address:
15320 Endeavor Drive 900
Noblesville, IN 46060

For more information or to just shoot us an email to let us know you are coming please send us an email @ bryanclausonracing@yahoo.com <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1>
This is from IOW site. We recieved word today that the always competitive racer Jimmy Sills will be stopping by. Should be lots of bench racing and good stories.
I'll even cook you a hot dog.....

Harley Gene
07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Mac, here is a cross torsion bar set up on the re-creation of the Sumar Streamliner.

racer5c
07-08-2009, 03:12 AM
I think if you look at the frame of the champ cars, there wasn't a parrallel (longitudinal) member at the right geometry for the torson bar. The 50's chassis had a large main tube with lighter cross members and the drivers prefferred the spring front. The 4 bar cars had four smaller diameter tubes running longitudenally. Thats why I believe Wally built the cross bar chassis in his champ cars, which was copied by Kuzma, Watson, ...

IMO of course.

ever look at an LTC Midget?

Kustom Linez
07-08-2009, 03:23 AM
i love this thread.

Jim Dieter
07-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Roy
Red ran 4 parallel....right ? Seems like I remember coil rears on that thing at one time. But it may have been on another car. Munchkin...parallel front, coil rear if I remember right.
We could really get the theories spinning since we started down that path with the parallel on champ car discussion. It always seemed like there was a relation between where the bar is located vs. transfer. The arguement used to be....does the wheel know where the spring is located, or only the spring rate ? High bar vs. Low bar edmunds was a good example. Low bar comments were..."unstable" "never tracks straight" ....etc. More noticeable on big tracks. Short tracks they actually ran well. Some changed to old style high bars and swore it was better. This prompted us at the time to change our J+J midget from low to high. We had a young Jim Mahoney in it. He swore it was a different car. I would always jokingly tell him that he was full of shit and point at the LTC...with the bars damn near dragging the track. Big difference in cg between the vw and chevy, but I wouldnt suggest that to him.

ever look at an LTC Midget?

Mitch G
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
From Sept. 1974 "Hot Rod Magazine", article titled "Offy Eatin' Sesco Swallower". Maybe Racer5c can explain in more detail!

Jim Dieter
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
It was certainly 4 parallel then...Probably Lonnie in it, maybe Olivero. I'm sure Roy will recognize the driver...

Jim Dieter
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Cool short clip of IRP...still dirt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyD2TwghghE&feature=related

Dean Lowe
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
It was certainly 4 parallel then...Probably Lonnie in it, maybe Olivero. I'm sure Roy will recognize the driver...

Looks like Bobby's helmet.

brian26
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Information quest here.

Russell Shoulders of Forney, Texas came up with this CAE looking sprinter. Story is it was built in '62 and ran through '64 with drivers Jay Lyle, Bill Utz, Eddie Leavitt, My thinking is it was run on the IMCA trail, just an assumption.

Anybody have anything to add? They're looking for any other history on it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/brian26_photos_2007/file-sprint/IMG_3891.jpg?t=1247077827

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/brian26_photos_2007/file-sprint/IMG_3892.jpg?t=1247077277

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/brian26_photos_2007/file-sprint/IMG_3894.jpg?t=1247077068

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/brian26_photos_2007/file-sprint/IMG_3893.jpg?t=1247076826

racer5c
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Olivero

LittleFauss
07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
'I was gonna say Olivero and it looks like El Toro Speedway; the red and white striped wall. 'Don't think Lonnie was around the scene when Red introduced the VW. I remember the turn-key price on a car ready to go was $7500. And Johnnie Parsons, Sr. was the guy Red had building them. 'Kind of weird, that issue of Hot Rod is September, 1974. Their first race was Roseville, Ca. in February of 1973.

Mitch G
07-08-2009, 04:45 PM
In the article it mentions Olivero finishing 3rd in points in 1973, and has a feature win and a 2nd place in the first two races of the season (as of the article being written). Gray Baskerville wrote the article, it also states the car came ready to race for $8,500 as of the 1974 season. They offered a 2047 cc VW race engine for $2,855 or a 2180cc model for $3,000. Fun to re-read this article all these many years later, impressive that the LTC shop did the whole package, car, engine, the whole deal out of the shop ready to race. Who does that in this day and age!?!

Mitch G
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Here's some more from the magazine, bummer my copy lost the cover many years ago, but the rest of the issue is in pretty good shape.

LittleFauss
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
'Mitch G, Thank you for posting the article and magazine story for the LTC. As we did a few months ago when we were discussing the SESCO-Chevy and Ron Hoettels, I was able to go on Ebay and get that issue of Hot Rod. So, earlier today when you first posted and said that this article was out of the Sept. '74 Hot Rod, I was able to go right on and pick up a copy. There are others still available on Ebay. As for the pics, that's definitely Bobby with the red jacket in the car and Red, himself standing next to the motor stand, on the right (with all the hair). 'Don't know who the other guy is (Maybe Roy would know) and I don't seem to see the 1950 Indy 500 winner in the background who was building the cars for Red? Thanks, again.