Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy V8 swap info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnarlytyler, Jan 13, 2008.

1. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

So i've got a 57 Chevy 150 and its got a 6cyl in it, i just picked up a sweet little small block out of an old corvette and i want to put it in, should be pretty simple, I know danchuk has some motor mounts and so does speedway, anyone have any experience with either ones, I'm looking for a hassle free install with mounts that'll handle a beating. Also I was talking to my cousin about the trans mount, right now theres a powerglide in it, and he was saying when i put in the new 350/TH350 combo I shouldn't have to change the trans mount it should bolt right up.. anyone got any info on this.. I thought i'd need to change it for the 350 trans, i mean if not hey less work all i've got is motor mounts to install.. any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    -Anthony

2. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Well get th mounts V8's in 57 bolt up front, in those 2 holes on either side of the Timing Cover, The trans mount IS NOT THE SAME AS A TH350 or 400, old cast Iron PG's are their own...a 6 cly tranny will work, but a good upgrade would be the 350/400 or 700R, but you'll have to buy the correct rear mount crossmember, it bolts in, no biggie...it will be the Eaziest one you have ever done....and all that from a FORD guy......

3. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Ha. Thanks falcon, I was lookin on speedway and saw the front mount on speedway and also the side mounts. I'm wondering if the front mount is as strong as the side mount, and yeah i figured that about the trans. I should of bet on it. the trans crossmember is pretty cheap, hopefully its plenty strong, i'm not going to be running more than 350-400hp so i should be ok.
    Thanks
    -Anthony

Front mount
    [​IMG]

Side Mount

[​IMG]

4. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

are you going to use the side mounts or the front mounts, if you are putting in a good healthy motor you need the side mounts you can get ones that bolt in or weld in and get the 350 cross member

5. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with the side mounts, they're a bit cheaper in the end since the front mount requires you to buy 2 or 3 different things.
    Should be an easy install. Thanks.
    -Anthony

6. It depends on what year your vette motor is.

An older mill will not have side mounts.

A newer mill with side mounts may require some tapping in the front of the block to fasten your front mounts.

If it's a hole shot machine, I would put in a Hurst style front mount

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

stock V8 mounts are NOT that huge crossmember thing you show, they are 2 little feet with rubber dougnuts, I wouldn't run a 400 HP motor with those, do the side mounts, weld them in, rear crossmember is eazy...I have a mean small block in my g-freinds 4 door HARDTOP BelAir and its fine....with a stock PG.....

8. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

For what its worth, the danchuck side mounts work okay and a camaro or chevelle trans crossmember can be made to work or when you buy it from danchuck its the same thing. Shorten youre drive shaft, a radiator, rams horn ex or headers on the motor if you can when doing the motor mock up, and make sure you leave room for the distributer. Hope it helps some.

9. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Its a 68-69 vette motor, not sure which one actually, funny thing is when i ran the numbers on the block it came up as corvette and camaro z-28.. did they use the same block that year ?? Mine has different heads, double hump but i've got to check the numbers and run them too to make sure. It should have side mounts.
    -Anthony

10. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I forgot the driveshaft.. hmm.. how much does it need to be shortened.. another hundred or two there i forgot about.. thanks for reminding me!
    -Anthony

11. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

if your going to run side mounts we have a guy here in town that makes side mounts that move the motor frontwards 1 inch, so you can run a big hei dist. they are like $59 bucks let me know but you have to run the radiator in front of the support

12. primed55

primed55

Your stock 6 mounts will work on the 8, just move them to the back holes on the frame, but i would go with the side mounts and a trans cross member.

13. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Really ??? Thats something i never knew!! Gotta check that out..
    Thanks
    -Anthony

14. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I like the looks of the rad in the front, is it alot of work to do that or just putting the brackets on the front ??
    -Anthony

15. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

No they won't, unless you grind the sides off and weld the blot holes shut and re-drill them.

Duke

16. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I run a very healthy small block with the front mount like the speedway one.I have a 4 speed with the bellhousing mounts.A camaro mount and some pieces of angle you can make a trans mount.That front mount will work fine.

17. henry29

henry29

I used a short shaft th350 with the weld in side engine mounts, and my drive shaft fit fine. I have a set of front trans mounts to bolt in a th350 if you would like pics or dimensions.

18. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Dont forget the trans yolk,trans cooler lines,fuel line upgrade. Also forgot to mention make sure the mech fuel pump is on the motor in mock up. Somtimes you will have to heat and fudge the frame a little. If you can afford it a mattson duel pass with elec fan is the way to go. It saves alot of time messing with fan shrouds and room.It sits in front of the core support.

19. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Wow, thanks guys, lots of useful info here, forgot about the trans cooler lines.. damn.. did I think i was just going to drop this sucker in and go ?? ha!
    -Anthony

20. If you are using a late model transmission, you really should use the side motor mounts. The original 55-57 front motor mounts depended on the original trans mounts to take the torque. If you use the original front motor mounts and a late model trans mount you will have too much twisting of the engine.

21. I switched my front mounts to side mounts in my hardtop, plus added a rear tranny crossmember, in addition to the bellhosing mounts. Any real amount of torque and the front mounts flex LOTS. Better to be safe than sorry.

22. primed55

primed55

Do it the right way, not the easy way.