Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator driven tachometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I've tried various searches and looked thru the tech archives, but didn't find anything. Does anyone have and information and or pictures of tachometers driven off the generator? I would really be interested on how to make up the connector that would go on the end of the generator. Ideas?

Mike

2. I would be interested as well....

3. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Check some of the Corvette Forums or parts vendors. Early Vettes without Fuel Injection had tachs driven off of the generator. As I remember, the shaft is longer and sticks out the rear of the generator. You might be able to use an early generator that has the power steering run off the back of it. Some Tri-five Chevy vendors might have some advice.
    Ol Blue

4. thrasher

thrasher

i thought the early corvettes had the tach driven off the distributor.

5. poop

poop

Howdy,

Check out

http://www.dwsmotormachine.biz/ford.htm

I found a few of these on the web, for Ford Tractors. There a little bulky, you'll have to buy a tach drive end : around 20 - 40 clams.

Plus there The Prince of Darkness (Lucas)

I've never used one, but played aroun with the thought.

Good Luck

Poop

6. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

yes, early corvettes (like59-61) had generator driven tachs. the rear cover on the generator is a special part, with the tach cable mount cast right into it.

7. The Diesel Toyota Landcruiser used an electric tach generator that was mounted on the alternator. I had an early 80's version, and it worked well. I don't know how easy it would be to adapt, to your alternator, but with a little injinuity any thing is possible.
    Bob

8. Oops, RTFP. I missed the part where you stated it was a mechanical drive that you were looking to install. Sorry.
    Bob

9. Michael_e

Michael_e

Hey, thanks for the leads. Didn't know about the corvette or ford tractor setups. I had a MG a long time ago and definitely know about Lucas and it's dark side. Not sure if i want to revisit that world.

Mike

10. draggin breath

draggin breath

look on farm tractors;late '50'sto mid'60's Massey Fergusons had Delco generators with the tach drive;so did Case tractors. Ford tractors in the '60's had Lucas POS with tach drive. Hit your NAPA if you don't want to get dirty.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As I remember my early no computer Cummins/Dodge had a tach you could get that picked up the fan blades on the generator with a sensor and transmitted that to the tach. You had to dial in the pully ratio and number of blades.

12. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

My MG TD has the tach driven off the back of the generator. Looks like a reduction gear assembly where the cable hooks up. My question is why do you want to do this? Electric tachs are much easier. Still, I will be interested in how you make out doing this. Rusty

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my best bud in high school had a '62 vette with the tach driven by the distributor and the cable had such a sharp bend in it that it would break in about a week.

14. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there a way to drill/machine a keyway into the back of the generator shaft through the rear housing?

Then you could run a cable to a reduction gear and then on to the tach or e en direct to tach depending on working out the pulley size ratios.

I have wanted to try this but not sure how

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Ditto on the Massey Ferguson lead. I know they used a generator drive for the tach. The tractor I'm working on is a 1958 TO35 and I'm looking to go the other way, trying to find an electronic tach to replace the mechanical

Good luck on your quest

16. Austin Healey Sprites from 58 to 61 used a generator driven tach. Google it. A wealth of info and all the parts are available.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Diesel Chevrolet trucks had a tach that was triggered by the alternator. 10 SI delcotron had an extra terminal on it. Used on some tractors too.

18. The generators on the early Vettes which had the tach drive were actually the same generators used on passenger cars with power steering. On the cars, 1955 to 1958, the power steering pump was mounted on the back of the generator. On the Vettes there was a special mount with a gear reduction unit which drove the tach. A normal speedo cable was attached to drive the mechanical tach.