View Full Version : how do you make your v6 sound like a v8?

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:24 PM
okay well i have a 3 speed, 1958 ford fairlane 6 cylinder 223, and i have a glasspack exhaust on it, because i really want a low rumble and i want it to be loud when i go down the road, but it just doesnt compete to the sound of a v8.

so INSTEAD OF GETTING A V8 MOTOR... what other options do i have to make it sound like one? are there any company's that make headers to make it sound more v8-ish? thanks for the help in advance

squirrel
02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
what does all this have to do with a V6?

(no, you can't make a straight 6 sound like a V8, but that is a good thing)

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:29 PM
not sure what u mean by 'what does all this have to do with a v6', i just really want it to sound like a v8.. i dont have the cash to get a new motor and the one i got in there is fine, but i want people to know when i'm coming down the road, know what i mean? the louder the better

Bort62
02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Well first off you have a Strait Six, not a V. Secondly, the only way to make it sound like an 8 is to grow two more cylinders.

So either do the swap, or stop having V8 envy.

Bort62
02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
not sure what u mean by 'what does all this have to do with a v6', i just really want it to sound like a v8.. i dont have the cash to get a new motor and the one i got in there is fine, but i want people to know when i'm coming down the road, know what i mean? the louder the better

Well if all you want is people to know you are coming, just unbolt the exhaust from the manifold.

That will let them know you are coming alright.

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Well first off you have a Strait Six, not a V. Secondly, the only way to make it sound like an 8 is to grow two more cylinders.

So either do the swap, or stop having V8 envy.

sorry i shoulda said straight 6, not v6, so ya it is a straight 6, and unfortuantley i do have the v8 envy :-/ damn, its gonna be hard for me to save up the cash for a swap. oh well, i was just looking for an easy solution for a much louder sound other than taking off the headers, which isnt street legal anyway :(

64Newport
02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Youre never going to get a straight 6 to sound like a v8 period. No matter what you do, it won't happen. Straights have a very distinctive sound to them, as do v8s, so you really can't compare them. You can make it have that low rumble by putting a flowmaster 40 series on it, but it still wont sound quite like it.

Chili Phil
02-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Squirrel is right. You don't have a V6, you have an I6. Totally different animal. The inline 6 has a pretty neat exhaust note of its own. Split the manifold and run a straight pipe from the split pipe and a 12" glaspac on the stock one. That will make a bitchen sound, believe me.

If you want people to know when you're coming down the road, get an air horn.

1952henry
02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Play the drum intro for "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen REALLY LOUD as you go down the street. Might fool someone into thinking you have a nitro-swiggin' V8. LOL

Bort62
02-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Youre never going to get a straight 6 to sound like a v8 period. No matter what you do, it won't happen. Straights have a very distinctive sound to them, as do v8s, so you really can't compare them. You can make it have that low rumble by putting a flowmaster 40 series on it, but it still wont sound quite like it.

Putting a flowmaster on a Strait 6 gives you that low rumble at idle, but as soon as you start to wind it up it will sound like a cross between a rice rocket and a pissed off bumble bee.

In other words, not good.

Dirty2
02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Squirrel is right. You don't have a V6, you have an I6. Totally different animal. The inline 6 has a pretty neat exhaust note of its own. Split the manifold and run a straight pipe from the split pipe and a 12" glaspac on the stock one. That will make a bitchen sound, believe me.

If you want people to know when you're coming down the road, get an air horn.

Yep !!! What he said !!!:D

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:40 PM

alrighty, i guess i'll never have that v8 sound until i save up those pennies. but in the meanwhile i'll show you a video of my dad's 63 ranchero, we both have the inline 6, and a glasspack exhaust, but his is the sound i want, but i dont have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXO8m4E0Ww

that's the ranchero video, notice the low rumble when he drives away and such

this is a video of my 58 ford, *just revving it*, but u can tell the difference in the sound*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOPNcwsbd2U

idk why but i cant get mine to sound like my dad's ranchero

Zombilly
02-27-2007, 11:42 PM
just cut off your existing muffler and attach a straight piece in its place. So for a few bucks you'll be running a straight pipe. If you want even a better sound replace you stock maifold with a set of split headers, then you'll sound better than a V8. Come on all the kids a doing it

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
just cut off your existing muffler and attach a straight piece in its place. So for a few bucks you'll be running a straight pipe. If you want even a better sound replace you stock maifold with a set of split headers, then you'll sound better than a V8. Come on all the kids a doing it

haha not a bad idea, lol i might try it. thanks for the idea at least

Chili Phil
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Can you braze or do you need the phone# of a good muffler shop. Split it like I said and you'll make your pop jealous. There is a world of hop up options for that old six. It's a damn good engine.

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Can you braze or do you need the phone# of a good muffler shop. Split it like I said and you'll make your pop jealous. There is a world of hop up options for that old six. It's a damn good engine.

nah we dont have a welder to braze but there is this one muffler shop right down the road from where my car is sitting right now at my grandma's, *fixing the gas tank at the moment*, so i could always take it there. but i like the ideas your all giving me, they didnt even cross my mind to be honest with ya

53dodgekustom
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Bigger diameter exhaust will get you a lower deeper sound. Straight pipe will get you the louder sound. Personally I like a small diameter straight pipe on a six because it raps more.

64Newport
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Putting a flowmaster on a Strait 6 gives you that low rumble at idle, but as soon as you start to wind it up it will sound like a cross between a rice rocket and a pissed off bumble bee.

In other words, not good.

True on that, there's a guy in my 'hood with a 6 mustang with a flowmaster and it fooled me at first, but then as soon as he got on it, youre right, it did sound kind of ricey.

luvzccr
02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
True on that, there's a guy in my 'hood with a 6 mustang with a flowmaster and it fooled me at first, but then as soon as he got on it, youre right, it did sound kind of ricey.

definatley do not want the ricer sound, i hate those cars... one of the bigger annoyances i have actually. as for 53dodgekustom, my dad has a really small diameter on his ranchero's tail pipe with the glasspack and it makes that rap and rumble sound, maybe that's why my 58 doesnt sound like the ranchero..?

LUX BLUE
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
save your pennies and stuff in the largest motor you can find.

I reccomend your local Craigslist. Big ford stuff pops up all the time around here.

you never will say "Gee, I wish I had that straight six back. "

usedall9
02-27-2007, 11:57 PM

It's the truth....
I had a rambler w/ a 232 I6
Straight pipe!
Sounded just like your pops ride...
Nice rap too!!!
Do it.......

luvzccr
02-28-2007, 12:01 AM

It's the truth....
I had a rambler w/ a 232 I6
Straight pipe!
Sounded just like your pops ride...
Nice rap too!!!
Do it.......

definatley gonna ask my dad about this and see if he'll let me do it. hopefully he will cuz my birthday was saturday and ive been mentioning i want my car to be way louder than it is, so this will be a late bday gift for me i hope :D

usedall9
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
[quote=LUX BLUE;1819634]save your pennies and stuff in the largest motor you can find.

No disrespect to this fella,
But, the motor you have is a good one...Keep it....
Atleast until you can afford what you really want.
Small diameter straight pipe...And if you can afford to split it(six into 2) more power to ya...you'll be happy
Straight 6, Straight pipe!!!!!!!

studhud
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM

If you want people to know when you're coming down the road, get an air horn.Thats exactly how my 48 poncho is done and does sound sweet. LTR Dave

gasser52
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
I have a 223 in my 57 pickup with header, dual glasspacks, hollyy 4 bbl. At idel you can swear it sounds like a v8 at the exhaust. But once you get it going it has the unmistaken sound of a 6

kustombuilder
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
how do you make your v6 sound like a v8?

REPLACE IT!

Revhead
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Here's a straight six... my 226 flathead six. I thought it sounded pretty cool. it had straight pipe, no muffler. Ignore the part when the brakes crap out at the end of the road..:rolleyes:

Ford 6 video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=659589387)

Richard D
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Get a cheap, rusty-ass pickup (shouldn't be too hard to find, being a Ford) for a couple hundred bucks. Keep the motor and trans, and sell the rest for scrap. Probably break even.

headdunce
02-28-2007, 08:33 AM
If you're just trying to make some noise to impress the ladies :cool: maybe making some sping loaded exhaust dumps would suit the bill? Cable them up something like a parking brake so you have some way to open and close them from the drivers seat... :rolleyes:

53sled
02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Get a cheap, rusty-ass pickup (shouldn't be too hard to find, being a Ford) for a couple hundred bucks. Keep the motor and trans, and sell the rest for scrap. Probably break even.

I picked up a running f150 with a 302/AOD for $350 for this exact reason. now I just need a 50 ford to put it in.

bigolds
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey you can get a big boom box and play a tape that sounds like a V8, or wait you can put in a V8.........or you can relish the sound of a cool straight 6. Split header and some cool mufflers. Deal with what ya got!!!!

HOTRODPRIMER
02-28-2007, 09:49 AM
A split manifold will improve the sound. HRP

57JoeFoMoPar
02-28-2007, 09:56 AM
keep revving the piss out of your 6 and you're gonna need an 8 sooner than you think

farna
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
The most common route for a six is a 3-2-1 header. Sorta like a pair of V-6 headers run into the same exhaust pipe. First three cylinders go into one, second three, then the two merge. Go to www.cliffordperformance.com (http://www.cliffordperformance.com) and they will have them for the Ford six. Then run a 2" or 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler, like a flowmaster 40 or DynoMax super turbo. I've got the DynoMax and 2.25" on my big six (280 inches -- AMC/Jeep 4.0L bored and stroked). I've had people think it was a V-8, but that's at least partially becasu I have a "4.6L Fuel Injection" sticker on the back. Lots of people assume I have a Ford mod motor in it. One fellow asked to see under the hood, then stared at the engine "that's not a Ford 4.6", he says!!

Easiest way to get your six to sound like dad's is to peek under dad's hood and floor and see what he has!! Should be easy enough to copy.

HotRodFreak
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
The old school trick is to split the exhaust manifold 4-2 instead of 3-3.
It does work.

I am not an old guy. My driver's license lies.

wvenfield
02-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Reminds me of high school. Buddy had a 6 cylinder Duster. He wanted it to sound better so he installed a glass-pac muffler.

He drove up and asked how it sounded. I can still remember how deflated he was when another buddy said "sounds like a 6 cylinder with a glass-pac muffler".

red sled
02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
[quote=luvzccr;1819575]sorry i shoulda said straight 6, not v6, so ya it is a straight 6, and unfortuantley

Unfortunately, you can't spell, either: there's no "V" in "straight".

1950ChevySuburban
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
You have a choice: Either have a car that says "Here comes another loud hotrod"
or have a car that says "Here comes that 58 Ford Fairlane, don't fuck with him"

Sound is only ONE reason I like inlines best!

chuckspeed
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
C'mon guys - he's a kid who wants to learn; cut him some slack.

HotRodFreak's comment is spot-on; a 4/2 split header will sound an awful lot like a V8. Make sure to run 2" pipes ALL THE WAY back; the longer the pipe the deeper the note - think about a slide trombone with the slide extened - the note's deeper than with it pulled up tight. Try straight pipes first; if the note is too loud then go to a pair of shorty glasspacks to cut the rap.

It'll sound pretty good; but when it's all said and done it'll be about as quick as a diesel rabbit.

BigDaddySteamRoller
02-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Baseball cards rubbing against the wheels?

tjm73
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Bigger diameter exhaust will get you a lower deeper sound. Straight pipe will get you the louder sound. Personally I like a small diameter straight pipe on a six because it raps more.

By "raps more" I assume you mean the popping crackling exhaust tube is too small for the engine exhaust. Rapping exhaust sounds like ass. Don't do it. My opinion.

racer5c
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
add 2 cylinders

Max Grody
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
IHMO, a straight six with split exhaust and straight pipes sounds better than a V-8. Although a flathead V-8 with dual Smitties or straight pipes sounds pretty good too. BTW, when I think of exhaust rap I don't think crack and pop. My definition of a good exhaust rap is when it gets sharper and louder during deceleration.

Richard D
02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
My definition of a good exhaust rap is when it gets sharper and louder during deceleration.
Hijack alert!
How can that type of "rap" be avoided? A lot of guys like it, that's fine, I just prefer a more "competition" or high-pref type of sound. I want to run straight exhaust, maybe just headers, off a small block Chevy with six two barrells and a solid lift cam(boring I know). When I rev it, and let off, I don't want it to make that loud de-celeration noise. I can't describe the sound, but I've heard V8s do it, in addition to almost ANY loud non-V8.

Lobucrod
02-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Just make it loud and be proud!

chuckspeed
02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Hijack alert!
How can that type of "rap" be avoided? A lot of guys like it, that's fine, I just prefer a more "competition" or high-pref type of sound. I want to run straight exhaust, maybe just headers, off a small block Chevy with six two barrells and a solid lift cam(boring I know). When I rev it, and let off, I don't want it to make that loud de-celeration noise. I can't describe the sound, but I've heard V8s do it, in addition to almost ANY loud non-V8.

the rap (a noise not unlike the compression brake on a semi) is a function of pipe diameter, length, and muffler (or lack thereof) type. Small diameter long pipes can rap so hard your ears will bleed...making the pipe larger in diameter and shorter in length will cut the rap and drop the exhaust note.

After that - length of glasspack has an impact - the longer the 'pack, the less rap you're gonna get. I've done systems with paired 'packs - a front and a rear - to 'tune' the system to the desired note.

Everyone's 'ear' is different when it comes to exhaust note, but please note this...

After 30 years of straight pipes, open headers, etc...my hearing sux. I'm afraid to have it tested; if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 20-30% hearing loss. Can't hear people talk in a loud restaurant or bar, can't hear my wife talk in the car (not always a bad thing, IMHO) and the constant ringing sometimes makes it hard to fall asleep at nite.

you may think you're twentysomething and frickin' indestructible - you're not. I did, and hearing loss is one of the sacrifices to the God of Speed I'd take back if I could.

Richard D
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
the rap (a noise not unlike the compression brake on a semi)

After 30 years of straight pipes, open headers, etc...my hearing sux. I'm afraid to have it tested; if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 20-30% hearing loss. Can't hear people talk in a loud restaurant or bar, can't hear my wife talk in the car (not always a bad thing, IMHO) and the constant ringing sometimes makes it hard to fall asleep at nite.

you may think you're twentysomething and frickin' indestructible - you're not. I did, and hearing loss is one of the sacrifices to the God of Speed I'd take back if I could.
That's exactly the sound I meant. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking "lake"style headers, I care about my ears too, so they will be capped most of the time, and an exhaust system under the car with long glass packs (or turbo mufflers?) to get a mellow tone with no "rap".

wetatt4u
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Look Dude .....If no one else has told
you ,Check into (clifford) intake and split exhaust header..
It will help the sound and make more power
AND have some coooool facture!
Some people will love and some won't
FU%K-EM!

hillbillyhellcat
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I had a 250 six with a clifford dual outlet header with 2" pipes, Heart throb turbo style glass packs and Meg's oval tips... Did not sound like a V8 but definately not a six cyl... Sounded like something exotic like a V12 Jaguar (no kidding). Best sounding car I had.

Stude350guy
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Ford v-8's are just not that expensive in yards. If you use a 289/302 with the right bellhousing you can probably keep your original tranny (and budget) as those are not killer torque engines. A cheap rebuild kit like from here:
http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=97
and you're "thundering away".
If you love sixes, there's plenty of good advice here on them. If v-8's move your soul, don't waste precious pennies on the six, get you an eight. I hated the original engine in my Stude, pulled and scrounged a small Chevy through my brother and his buddies and I am happy with it now!

Stude350guy
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
the rap (a noise not unlike the compression brake on a semi) is a function of pipe diameter, length, and muffler (or lack thereof) type. Small diameter long pipes can rap so hard your ears will bleed...making the pipe larger in diameter and shorter in length will cut the rap and drop the exhaust note.

After that - length of glasspack has an impact - the longer the 'pack, the less rap you're gonna get. I've done systems with paired 'packs - a front and a rear - to 'tune' the system to the desired note.

Everyone's 'ear' is different when it comes to exhaust note, but please note this...

I'm 59 and I gotta agree with Chuck, my hearing sucks. Go out to dinner with friends and I'm lonely there cuz they might as well be speaking Mandarin Chinese for all I can cipher from the conversation. Man, there's a reason old Richard Petty has two hearing aids on him all the time!

SanDiegoJoe
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm a diehard I6 guy. If you are trying to save money on the project, then take the advice given above and buy an old truck for the V8 engine & trans. Inline 6 engines are usually expensive to build, with the exception being Chevy 235's & 250's. I have 2 Slant 6 225's and a 250 Chevy.

(NOTE: it will never sound like a V8, but you can make it sound alot better than stock).

To get that cool growl out of your engine, split the manifold or buy a 6 into 2 header. If you want that rap on deceleration, start with 2" pipe and reduce it to 1.5" or 1" near the rear end. Without glasspacks or a regular muffler it will be LOUD. Make sure to run the exhaust out the back, if you go out the side it will be really loud when you are near the center divide on the freeway, If you stop the exhaust under the car you will go deaf (at least that is what my mom told me).

Post a couple of pictures, I'd like to see it. Is that the engine with the killer sidemount aircleaner?

SanDiegoJoe
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Like this?
http://www.readersrides.com/ShowImages/CNC2006/images/CNC_Benefit%20'06%20(107).JPG

Von Rigg Fink
04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Just embrace the straight 6 man

Swifster
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Engine swap...

iwanaflattie
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
after 5 years I imagine he installed a siren to let people know he was coming down the road

117harv
04-18-2012, 09:18 PM
5 year old thread, revived by a spammer?

metalshapes
04-18-2012, 09:25 PM
5 year old thread, revived by a spammer?

Yes.

But the spammer had some urgent spamming to do elsewhere, so he couldnt stay, and the OP has started his Big Block swap long time ago.