Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery Guys...Button Tuft help needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipstitch, Feb 25, 2007.

1. skipstitch

skipstitch

So I have a "super top secret project" :) in the works that calls for yards and yards of.... GET THIS... Gold crushed velvet in a button tuft / diamond tuft pattern.

While I have a basic idea of the process, does anyone have info on laying out the design or folding the material? A website? I've searched but haven't found anyone who didn't want to sell me a video.... while that's fine.. I'm pressed for time on this job. Anything that would help speed along my "trial and error" would be appriciated GREATLY! Thanks, Stitch

2. ditz

ditz

there is a decent description of the process in a book titled"street rod building skills" by John Thawley. It is published by Steve Smith Autosports Publications. The major portion of the article is pictures and of poor quality and I doubt that I can scan them legibly. I know of a couple of fellas that have done it and both indicated that they would use much softer foam the next time the do it. It seems that this process really firms up the foam.

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

Thanks for the info....

4. If you have specific question you can PM me and I can help.

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

Thanks again for the info guys!!! Attached is a pic of the final project. It's sitting in Detroit at COBO as I type this... Stitch

Attached Files:

6. Is this what your talking about?
    [​IMG]

7. skipstitch

skipstitch

No, not diamond pleat...actual button tuft.... 298 buttons to be exact...LOL

Attached Files:

8. Oh that's easy...just kidding! I just looked at your website and realised your looking for somthing a little more high end then just diamond stitching. That pic is my first attempt at sewing, how'd i do?

9. ditz

ditz

Really looks good. I hope the info that I sent helped.

10. skipstitch

skipstitch

max...that looks fantastic!!! My first attempt was a seat with 12 pleats... I stitched at least 80!!!!

11. bkvail

bkvail

I happened upon this old thread in the effort to find any how-to on doing button-tuft for automotive interior.... lots of youtube on tufted headboards, so I suppose it is the same concept. Great pics of the tufting Skip....

12. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I've got a 1930's Upholstery book that gives all the lay out tips once you understand their language. I can look it out tomorrow if you want

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, hell! Since it's up again, are there better picks of the Op's car?

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, kfc;
    I'd like the info. Would be great if you'd post it here.
    TIA.
    Marcus...