Register now to get rid of these ads!

427 SOHC on nitro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Just saw this on the FE board. Not many chances to see a nitro SOHC so I thought I'd bring it over here. I believe this was taped at the "Cacklefest". Those old 427 SOHC's had a good win/loss record in spite of their ability to severely overpower their bottom ends. Wonder how much more potential they would be able to tap into with one of today's race blocks like the ones from Shelby, Genisis, or Pond? Any way crank up the speakers and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJ_B10iy4k&NR

Deuces and cptn60 like this.
  2. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

I just got a chubbie:D

Deuces likes this.
  3. old beet

old beet

That would be Jim Green, NW guy. He also has a 57 Ranchero Cammer 4 speed. 34 Ford, tilt body Cammer. Model T coupe Cammer. Has run a speed shop here forever.........OLDBEET

Deuces likes this.
  4. Thats awesome.
    Pete Robinson (among others) ran a few of those.Somewhere on the web is a picture of the front Petes engine.
    He engineered a gear drive to eliminate the seemingly 50 foot timing chain.
    The gear drive he made was a thing of beauty.
    Ed Pink,Lou Baney,Kallita,Tom Hoover are just a few more that ran that engine on Fuel.
    They had a distinct difference in sound than the Chryslers,,,more of a buzzing sound,yet quite bitchen.
    Hard to service if it broke though.

Deuces likes this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks Mike !!!!

Deuces likes this.
  6. brandon

brandon

neat cars......especially that phaeton flopper.....lots of trick stuff on it.....and its been built for 20+ years.....brandon

Deuces likes this.
  7. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks Mike. That was fun. I love fuel motors. Mike

Deuces likes this.
  8. rainh8r

rainh8r

Jim's SOHC model A sedan has been on the road for 30 years, he just finished restoring the first dragster they ever had, plus he still has the 3 engine puller they used to run. NIce guy, great engineer, still living off the speed shop they started in the 60's. Ask him about the rail he trailered to the street races at Golden Gardens.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That was awesome!

I've got a buddy that put one in a beautiful '61 Starliner - was in Super Ford years ago. Used to run it on the street n/a of course. This guy has a few in his shop & knows all those guys...

Deuces likes this.
  10. Spooky

Spooky

Always have been a Ford guy.

Chrysler Hemi's(stolen from Duntov hisself), are simply amazing.

The sound and power is awesome....

BUT-

The SOHC was Fords better idea.....

Can you imagine a 427 SOHC powered '65 Galaxie at Daytone or even better stuffed into a Taladega Torino?

I can only dream............

Deuces likes this.
  11. Spooky

Spooky

Oh and on the SOHC front, Ronnie Leslie has a handful of this gold lying around the B&G shoppe.

Ford sent Kenz and Leslie a good number of these engines and heads for racing endeavors.

Last I heard he had enough to build five running engines and enough left over to run a season of racing........

Oh, and a HEAVILY GUARDED GARAGE too.

Deuces likes this.
  12. SWEEEET! Nothing like a fuel motor talking to ya.......MIKE:D :cool:

Deuces likes this.
  13. 1930 A

1930 A

There's a guy up here that put one in a 1966 Falcon. Used to drive it on the street. Has had it stored away for years.

Deuces likes this.
  14. FEDER

FEDER

Jim Green is My neighbor lives a few blocks away. The guy is a Genious.
    His Phaeton that was built in 72 has a externel belt drive on it He made Himself !! That SOHC motor is one of the coolest ones in the nation by far.
    I was lucky enough to go into the back of His shop a few times during the resto of that car THE ASSASIN. Its truly a beautiful car. The detail is unreal.
    Oh and the car runs alcohol not nitro. FEDER

Deuces likes this.
  15. after NASCAR shut the door on Ford (and others) Most those motors went out the back door to racers. after Les Ritchies (SP)fatal accident. he had several still in crates. I was going to buy two for $3000 each (1 for parts) I was talked into building a 428 CJ instead. I regret that decision almost as much as selling my F-series supercharger for 10 bucks

Deuces likes this.
  16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

"Bach & Gould" ran their front engine T/F dragster at Indy a few years ago, what an awsome sight to see a SOHC run... The only Ford powered T/F car which ran at Indy Goodguys during the last 8 or so years....

Deuces likes this.
  17. ignition

ignition

The sweet sound of power. Those SOHC were strong. Chevy had them ban from NASCAR along with the Hemi.

Deuces likes this.
  18. If cost were no object, I'd love to have that exact engine in my hot rod project -- complete with Enderle bug-catcer, even down to the finish on the blower. Awesome, absolutely awesome -- and sooo far our my my $$$ reach.

Deuces likes this.
  19. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Back around 1998, a Boeing employee (forget who) called me up and told me that he had an old speedboat with two SOHC engines in it that he was thinking of selling. I never heard the outcome, but I put him in touch with Jim Green.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

20. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Repop cammer heads , intakes & a whole kit to convert a normal 427 fe into a cammer will soon be released for sale here in Australia by Paul Munro..he will have a US distributor also...Craig

Deuces likes this.
  21. Shitfire,,,,I love that. Been a Ford man all my life. Still a MEL maniac, but that cammer sounded way cool.

Deuces likes this.
  22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

There was just one for sale on the Minneapolis Craigslist for $50,000!
    It's supposed to NOS in the crate. I think there was an extra set of NOS heads with it too.

Deuces likes this.
  23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There's a '50 Ford coupe in SoCal, SOHC powered, that was built by Art Chrisman. Even with an exhaust system, the thing has a scary bark to it.

In the Assassin clip, notice how he steps OVER the car to get to the other side? Probably a common move with a rail, but I've never seen anybody do it before.

Deuces likes this.
  24. brandon

brandon

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  25. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

It sucks when cars and parts get too valuable to drive

Deuces likes this.
  26. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'd kill for a cammer...

Deuces likes this.
  27. HAMMER-HEAD

HAMMER-HEAD
    from england

Ah That Would Be The Ford Cammer Engine Of The Assisin Cacklefest Car

Deuces likes this.
  28. BigRed390

BigRed390

I dearly hope you're not shitting us. You've really got my hopes up about the U.S. distributor!:D I have been wishing and hoping for something like this for quite a while now. Just imagine......my own cammer!:cool:

Deuces likes this.
  29. Big Red,

Look here.....http://www.doveengineparts.com/

I absolutely couldn't say whether the parts are readily available...or if they are like many Dove other heads, rocker systems, etc., where there is a lead time of months....or what the price is....but here you go. :) Look under ENGINE PARTS, then SOHC.

Deuces likes this.
  30. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Back when I was a kid (about a hunnert years or so ago), I worked for John Bandimere Sr. at Bandimere Speeday-anyway, he had a large Warehouse at the Track, and he took me there one day. He had a heavy gauge wire running to the Door Knob (to look like it was live), and took me into the Basement. Down there was at least 6-8 Cammers in the Crate along with some of the most desireable parts you could imagine-I almost pissed in my pants-

Deuces likes this.